Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1997 Mavic Cosmic freehub service - help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-20, 02:35 PM
Igor_M

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 E117 Disc - 2020 Mason Bokeh - 2015 Fuji Touring - 1997 Peugeot Performance 2000 - 19?? Mars trekking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I am in the midst of replacing the bearings on this wheelset, but struggling with the outbound bearing on the freehub. From what I can tell from this diagram to extract the bearing (red arrow) I need to pull it outwards (from the the centerline). However, the piece just in front of it (blue arrow) is blocking its path and I am struggling to get it out. For starters, I am not even sure whether it is simply pressed, or threaded. Would guess the former judging by the diagram but don't know for sure. I made two pictures of it you can see below. It has 6 notches that make me wonder whether I need some special tool to remove it.
Any idea?

Last edited by Igor_M; 07-03-20 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added pictures