Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Personal bike shop

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Personal bike shop

Old 07-02-20, 07:13 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
branko,
Even more reason to have some kind of insurance (smiles!). I was helping out tonight with a friend on a Holley four barrel that had 15 years of old gas varnished up in it. Gm 454 with HEI ignition and I told the story we got a GM tech school about not pulling the plug wires off the spark plugs because it would weld your zipper to the fender. It left a lasting impression on all mechanics who passed through the school. Same kinda stuff applies to bike mechanics. Smiles, MH
So, what type of insurance should one get that would cover "welding your zipper to the fender" ?

Let's assume the zipper and fender are both owned by the same person, and the unfortunate mishap occurs in his own garage .

Last edited by branko_76; 07-02-20 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-02-20, 07:19 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1287 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 1,113 Posts
branko,
I'd wager there is an agent somewhere that would sell insurance to folks in drunken moments who start every discussion with " Hey watch this! " Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-03-20, 09:09 PM
bwmoeling

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think you should start with a great bike stand. And don't get an entry-level one with thoughts of upgrading: you'll want a good one, so if you buy the cheaper one that will just make the one you eventually buy that much more expensive. I had a low-end portable one for a while and then got a Park Tool stand; it was okay, not great. Then when I moved and I was responsible for more bikes, I went with the Feedback Sports Pro Elite, and got the tool tray and the wheel truing attachments. WORTH IT. I have long since forgotten the $300 I spent on it but am still totally benefiting from the premium stand.

On tools, too, you should always get the better tool when you're buying one. A cheap tool will always frustrate you.

You might start with the Park Tool PK-4 professional tool kit. Although I think you will have to buy the Park Tool Pizza Cutter separately.
Likes For bwmoeling:
Old 07-03-20, 09:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 3,871 Times in 2,582 Posts
Originally Posted by bwmoeling
I think you should start with a great bike stand. And don't get an entry-level one with thoughts of upgrading: you'll want a good one, so if you buy the cheaper one that will just make the one you eventually buy that much more expensive. I had a low-end portable one for a while and then got a Park Tool stand; it was okay, not great. Then when I moved and I was responsible for more bikes, I went with the Feedback Sports Pro Elite, and got the tool tray and the wheel truing attachments. WORTH IT. I have long since forgotten the $300 I spent on it but am still totally benefiting from the premium stand.

On tools, too, you should always get the better tool when you're buying one. A cheap tool will always frustrate you.

You might start with the Park Tool PK-4 professional tool kit. Although I think you will have to buy the Park Tool Pizza Cutter separately.
I agree with this up until the buy a kit.

My reasons for not buying a kit is there are tools that I want which come in no kit or I may already have some of those tools or there may be something else. Park makes some decent higher end or super practical stuff and some fine entry level stuff but I would rather buy tools individually so I can get exactly what suits my needs (or wants). I wish I had got the Abbey Crombie instead of the Park tool copy which is super heavy and doesn't do well on some ScRAM (non-XD) cassettes I have. However I haven't used a better screwdriver than the Park DSD-2/4 and don't see a need for anything else. It is JIS (which is better than/compatible with Phillips ), really nice in the hand and Made in 'Merica.

A cheap tool will certainly frustrate you. I have bought plenty of stuff where I am like, damn I wish I had gotten something better. I think maybe I will use it once and a while and then I am using it frequently
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-04-20, 06:24 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,784 Posts
I've found that cheap tools are more likely to slip, round off, or strip the hardware. It seems like every christmas, my stocking at the in-laws has cheap tools from the dollar store in them. They don't stay in my possession long.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-05-20, 03:28 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
It is true that the OP asked about tools. But I think along with tools and a good workspace, consideration should be given to a supply of consumables and parts. Because a wrench is nice but if you need to replace something you can only go so far..

I'm no pro but I keep a supply of nuts and bolts, tubes, chains, bulk cables, brake parts, misc hardware and lubricants just to name a few. A good repair book such as Zinn's which btw has a listing of tools answering the OP question.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 07-05-20, 03:45 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
It’s a personal workshop...make it everything you always wanted it to be!
Blow it up!
Go into as many bike shops as you can...tell them what you are going to do...look at how they have squeezed every bit of space out of every where!
It should not be hard to stock your consumerables...it’s your personal shop for your personal bikes...buy consumerables to suit your fleet, stable, collection, hoard, what have you...
I’ve been building, refining, even redefining my personal bike shop(s) for years...finally getting it done...I have all the tools necessary to work on the bikes in my little world, my personal workshop...
Lighting has moved to the forefront of “things of importance.”
I collect old bike shop stuff...the stuff is just kinda hung here and there...sometimes you can see it in the background of my posts...
My God! It’s Your Personal Workshop!
Make it yours...
Oh yeah...post pictures...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 07-05-20, 09:20 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
In my "bike shop" the only consumables are lube, grease, patches and cement. I buy everything else as needed. I can go through a bunch of tubes in a short time, and then have the last one bought sit in a box for a year. I happened to have a cable set when I needed them recently, and it was Campy that I needed too, I'd bought it to swap out cables but then never did. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I do have spare 10 speed chains, but that was by an accident. They'll last me years. I have my junk box, and was able to pull out a pair of brake pads that were still good the other day. But in general there is no reason to stock items in case you'll need them, that case could be anything and you can't much predict it.
Likes For zacster:
Old 07-06-20, 12:03 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikeboystephen
I looked at the "new posters look here" and I tried to search for this to no avail. I'm looking into trying to assemble my own bike shop in my garage or in my shed in my backyard, and I'm on the mechanics page because I would like to know what tools, stands and otherwise bike-related pieces others suggest I have. I'm not looking for an introductory toolset or things to keep in case of emergency, I'm looking for a full scale list of recommended assets to keep in my personal shop. What tools come in the most handy for others, what would they suggest I use to make repairs and restorations easier. Thanks in advance!
It really depends on what type of bike(s) you're going to be working on. I've worked in the bike industry primarily as a mechanic for the last 37 years and have acquired pretty much a full pro shop in my garage, but for somebody just starting out, a few basic tools will pretty much do 90% of most maintenance/repairs. I actually made a video yesterday on this very topic you might find helpful.

Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 07-06-20, 12:29 PM
glassman83
Jim

Bikes: '77 Super Le Tour, Bridgestone, Peugeot, ActionBent, Dahon, Trek, & always looking for another interesting bike!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd like to suggest that you volunteer at a bike co-op for a month and pay attention to the main tools they use. You might pick up some additional skills, too and a good resource for good used parts!
Likes For glassman83:
Old 07-06-20, 12:33 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
I've got a little workshop outside under an eve on the side of the house. I've worked for years without a stand but now that I've got one (Christmas), I love it. Turning a bike over works with aero brake levers but not with the older style.
I got lots of stuff over the years and buy new stuff only when needed. Tools you absolutely need are few: A metric Allen set,(Home Depot), two adjustable wrenches (big and small), assorted wrenches, (8-14mm), chain tool, bottom bracket tool, freewheel removal tools (as needed), multisize spoke wrench, crank arm removal tool, 15mm socket, good screwdrivers, one trash screwdriver, channel locks, cone wrenches (13-16), tire pump, tire levers. Those will make the job pretty easy. Tools that are nice to have: a breaker bar for that freewheel, a 15mm pedal wrench, vice grips, a vice, assorted files, wire brushes, steel wool, sandpaper, WD-40, degreaser, grease, oil. I have lots of plastic jars, boxes and rags as well.
My first disassemble was accomplished with a couple of screwdrivers, a hammer, a pipe wrench, pliers and an adjustable wrench. Those few tools got me down to ballbearings including disassembling the freewheel. It was on a bike with cartered pedals. I still pull out the pipe wrench for stubborn freewheels and a piece of pvc as a breaker bar. A 4' piece of 2x4 comes in handy although a wooden or rubber mallet would be more elegant.
Sounds a little overwhelming for starting out but buy what you need as you go, take a break and think when you get stuck (literally or figuratively) and try to enjoy working through all the difficulties that always crop up.
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 07-06-20, 12:36 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
In my "bike shop" the only consumables are lube, grease, patches and cement. I buy everything else as needed. I can go through a bunch of tubes in a short time, and then have the last one bought sit in a box for a year. I happened to have a cable set when I needed them recently, and it was Campy that I needed too, I'd bought it to swap out cables but then never did. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I do have spare 10 speed chains, but that was by an accident. They'll last me years. I have my junk box, and was able to pull out a pair of brake pads that were still good the other day. But in general there is no reason to stock items in case you'll need them, that case could be anything and you can't much predict it.
Stuff like cables and housings don't go bad. As long as you still have a bike they fit, you'll use them eventually. same thing with brake pads. Not a huge amount of money to buy a spare when you buy a set, so you have it for the next time.
Likes For dscheidt:
Old 07-06-20, 01:25 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
My garage houses a good amount of woodworkers tools, mechanics tools, an ammunition reloading bench and my bicycle repair division. Can't speak for the OP but when people walk into my garage and see what I have I want them to be impressed. Part of the joy I have in my hobbies is having a functional and well stocked playpen.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 07-07-20, 08:04 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by dscheidt
Stuff like cables and housings don't go bad. As long as you still have a bike they fit, you'll use them eventually. same thing with brake pads. Not a huge amount of money to buy a spare when you buy a set, so you have it for the next time.
Between living in NYC where you can get anything you want, and being able to order on the internet, there just isn't much of a need to keep spares. Tubes, patches, grease I'm always using, but anything else I just buy when I need. It will be years before I replace my brake pads again, or cables. But I'm putting together another bike where I needed brake cables, but had a request for a specific color of housing. Highly unlikely I can predict what color someone would want. If I happen to have something, great, but it is NBD to buy/order it as needed.

I take that approach with produce. Why stock a fridge full of produce when the store is a short walk away and it is always fresh that way.
Likes For zacster:
Old 07-09-20, 12:34 PM
Jholden

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get an air compressor. Pumping tires by hand gets old quick
Old 07-09-20, 12:44 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by Jholden
get an air compressor. Pumping tires by hand gets old quick
Blowing out tires with a compressor gets even older quick. Good floor pumps aren't much work.
Likes For zacster:
Old 07-09-20, 04:02 PM
hkhailey

Bikes: 1995 GT Arrette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jacksbike
You are not kidding. I have quite a few tools in my workshop that I only use once or twice a year. But if I need them, I really need them !
Amen and Amen!
Old 07-09-20, 04:04 PM
hkhailey

Bikes: 1995 GT Arrette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But you can't remove handle bar grips with a floor pump.
Old 07-11-20, 05:08 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
My garage houses a good amount of woodworkers tools, mechanics tools, an ammunition reloading bench and my bicycle repair division. Can't speak for the OP but when people walk into my garage and see what I have I want them to be impressed. Part of the joy I have in my hobbies is having a functional and well stocked playpen.

Yes. But... now my wife wants to finish the basement. :O
Likes For velojym:
Old 07-11-20, 07:42 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
I looked at the "new posters look here" and I tried to search for this to no avail. I'm looking into trying to assemble my own bike shop in my garage or in my shed in my backyard, and I'm on the mechanics page because I would like to know what tools, stands and otherwise bike-related pieces others suggest I have. I'm not looking for an introductory toolset or things to keep in case of emergency, I'm looking for a full scale list of recommended assets to keep in my personal shop. What tools come in the most handy for others, what would they suggest I use to make repairs and restorations easier. Thanks in advance!
If you don't know what you need, then you probably don't really need a home bike shop.
Old 07-15-20, 06:04 PM
Bikeboystephen
Dog Dad

Bikes: 1995 Giant ATX 760, 1997 CAAD3 R800, 2017 Trek Marlin 6

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
OP: Any bike of any era? Wheel building? Shimano components? Campy components? Are finances of any concern? The list could get quite long! I've never gotten beyond 9 speed of the Shimano flight deck/dual pivot/octalink era (circa 2000). There have been many "improvements" since then that often have special tools. I'd suggest looking at Park or Ebay or Amazon for a general tool kit and buy specialized tools as you need.
I was mostly talking about pre 2000 bikes. I've picked up a lot of old bikes with solid frames and good components. Lots of old Schwinn's and a few specialized, Giants, and other well respected brands along the way
Old 07-15-20, 06:11 PM
Bikeboystephen
Dog Dad

Bikes: 1995 Giant ATX 760, 1997 CAAD3 R800, 2017 Trek Marlin 6

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
It is true that the OP asked about tools. But I think along with tools and a good workspace, consideration should be given to a supply of consumables and parts. Because a wrench is nice but if you need to replace something you can only go so far..

I'm no pro but I keep a supply of nuts and bolts, tubes, chains, bulk cables, brake parts, misc hardware and lubricants just to name a few. A good repair book such as Zinn's which btw has a listing of tools answering the OP question.
I'm actually looking to build a small shed to store my bikes so space is something that I should be able to organize as I go along and build how I want. I've heard the Zinn book mentioned frequently so I'll have to pick up a copy of that
Old 07-15-20, 08:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by hkhailey
But you can't remove handle bar grips with a floor pump.
My coworkers usually use the air hose to expand off grips. My old school self pushes a skinny hex wrench under the grip and sprays in Clean Streak, the grip slides off and the cleaning prep fpr the next grip has a head start. Andy
Old 07-15-20, 08:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
I was mostly talking about pre 2000 bikes. I've picked up a lot of old bikes with solid frames and good components. Lots of old Schwinn's and a few specialized, Giants, and other well respected brands along the way
So this suggests that the OP's work will go out to others. I still say insurance is part of the socially responsible plan. Unless the OP is planning to start a collection... Andy
Old 07-16-20, 06:09 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Blowing out tires with a compressor gets even older quick. Good floor pumps aren't much work.
That's why they have regulators.

I use the compressor much more for blowing things off, but filling tires as well.
Likes For dedhed:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.