Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Have 2012 Focus Izalco - should I buy a new bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 09:43 PM
btppberk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts

Hi All -

I am trying to decide whether I should buy a new bike.

I have a Focus Izalco from 2012. I have been very happy with the bike. Unfortunately, I had to give up cycling for the past few years. I am back into it now and expect to be able to continue cycling indefinitely. I use my bike for a combination of daily cardio and longer rides in the countryside.

I could buy a new bike in the $3-5k range. I could get disc breaks, of course. And I could get better shifters, maybe even an electronic groupset. Is there any other reason to upgrade? I don't care much, within reason, about bike weight and I'm not focused on getting the fastest bike possible.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-02-20, 10:46 PM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Sounds like there is no need for a new bike, only a yen for one. Nothing wrong with that. However, if your current ride fits well, performs well and is not holding you back with respect to performance, I would keep on trucking with the Focus until it wears out or breaks.
However, if you posted your query simply because you wanted the support of others’ opinions in order to allow yourself to buy a new bike, you have the support of this experienced cyclist, overall idiot and owner of 12 road bikes.
Old 07-02-20, 11:03 PM
btppberk

Originally Posted by zatopek
Sounds like there is no need for a new bike, only a yen for one. Nothing wrong with that. However, if your current ride fits well, performs well and is not holding you back with respect to performance, I would keep on trucking with the Focus until it wears out or breaks.
However, if you posted your query simply because you wanted the support of others’ opinions in order to allow yourself to buy a new bike, you have the support of this experienced cyclist, overall idiot and owner of 12 road bikes.
Ha! Everything you say is very true. I have no need for a new bike, only a yen for one. It's true, as well, that I hope that someone has a convincing reason, e.g. that disc breaks are just so amazing, or the cushioning technology so advanced, that I'd be crazy--crazy!--not to buy a new bike.

Were the additional gratuitous bikes, on the whole, worth their money in pleasure and happiness?
Old 07-03-20, 09:10 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I would suggest test riding some bikes with disk brakes and electronic shifting. These bikes will also probably have at least 28c tires with the ability to go wider. You may find the comfort of wider tires, the confidence of disks, and the convenience of electronic shifting, are good justifications to buy new. If not, keep using what you have.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 07-03-20, 09:27 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by btppberk
hi all -

i am trying to decide whether i should buy a new bike.

I have a focus izalco from 2012. I have been very happy with the bike. Unfortunately, i had to give up cycling for the past few years. I am back into it now and expect to be able to continue cycling indefinitely. I use my bike for a combination of daily cardio and longer rides in the countryside.

I could buy a new bike in the $3-5k range. I could get disc breaks, of course. And i could get better shifters, maybe even an electronic groupset. Is there any other reason to upgrade? I don't care much, within reason, about bike weight and i'm not focused on getting the fastest bike possible.

Thanks for your input.
yolo!
Old 07-03-20, 09:45 AM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by btppberk
Ha! Everything you say is very true. I have no need for a new bike, only a yen for one. It's true, as well, that I hope that someone has a convincing reason, e.g. that disc breaks are just so amazing, or the cushioning technology so advanced, that I'd be crazy--crazy!--not to buy a new bike.

Were the additional gratuitous bikes, on the whole, worth their money in pleasure and happiness?
That is an interesting, to me, question. Probably yes, with a qualifier. I buy frames, mostly used, online and build them up to specifications of my own desire in a seemingly endless quest for the affordable, to me, “dream” bike. In a few cases, I realize that the bike I have just built does not bring me closer to the dream. Most builds bring me a bit closer. To whit, my Alchemy Helios with SRAM Red etap, HIA Founder with SRAM Red etap and Storck Scenero with SRAM Force 11-speed mechanical have advanced the quest. Financially, this process is completely indefensible. But, as I am not yet homeless, this process has proved sustainable.
Old 07-03-20, 04:06 PM
btppberk

Not yet homeless, huh? Lol.