Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rust proof?

Old 07-21-18, 12:17 PM
2pedals5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rust proof?

Since in my area have been getting lot of rain for the whole summer, my question has come up to the point where I try to find a solution Of my worrisome about rust building on my bike. Is there a proper way to equip/clean my bike to ride in the rain to prevent rusts from building? Before and after ride in the rain? Anything will help. Thanks.
Old 07-21-18, 01:42 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Treat the inside of you frame with "Frame Saver", and the outside with car wax.
Old 07-21-18, 07:50 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
the above helps, however there is no such thing as rust or corrosion proof.
wiping a wet bike off with a shop towel helps.
keeping the little "limber" holes clear helps to drain water out of the frame.
hanging bike up so moisture can flow to those cleared holes helps.
turning a fan on the hanging bike helps dry out the saddle faster.
also if real soggy, I lightly spritz the chain with wd-40 and wipe it off,lightly
with a paper towel - I know some will throw flame about the Wd-40 use.

Old 07-21-18, 08:25 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
there is no such thing as rust or corrosion proof.
Carbon fiber is corrosion proof, and titanium and aluminum are so resistant that even riding through brine all winter will not really affect them.

The chain and gears, and the spokes on the wheels are still susceptible, though.
Old 07-21-18, 08:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by doug64
treat the inside of you frame with "frame saver", and the outside with car wax.
+1
Old 07-22-18, 06:37 PM
Patriot1 
Retired loving & Life!

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2pedals5
Since in my area have been getting lot of rain for the whole summer, my question has come up to the point where I try to find a solution Of my worrisome about rust building on my bike. Is there a proper way to equip/clean my bike to ride in the rain to prevent rusts from building? Before and after ride in the rain? Anything will help. Thanks.
solution....a Titanium bicycle. Done!

Old 07-22-18, 06:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store or a hardware store and buy a spray can of automotive rustproofing oil...I've used a product called Rustcheck and sprayed it on the inside of my steel frames.
Old 07-22-18, 07:02 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot1

That's an expensive solution to an almost non-existing problem...It take a very very long time for a chromoly steel bike frame to rust out to a point of it being unrideable. I don't think I've ever heard of it.
Old 07-22-18, 07:07 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I like and trust Boeshield for rust proofing. It is purpose made for the job by people who know their business.
Old 07-22-18, 09:54 PM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot1

....really?
Old 07-22-18, 10:07 PM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
What is inside and outside frame?
Old 07-22-18, 10:11 PM
General Geoff

....really?
Some people buy titanium framed bicycles specifically for their corrosion resistance (pretty much no natural environment on earth will affect them) and immunity to UV damage (which the epoxy resin in carbon fiber can be degraded over time by).

Frankly, unless you're riding your bike regularly through seawater in puddles or along the beach, I don't think it's really that much of a concern.

The inside of the tubing, mostly inaccessible except for the the seat tube when you remove the saddle post.
Old 07-22-18, 10:15 PM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Some people buy titanium framed bicycles specifically for their corrosion resistance (pretty much no natural environment on earth will affect them) and immunity to UV damage (which the epoxy resin in carbon fiber can be degraded over time by).

Frankly, unless you're riding your bike regularly through seawater in puddles or along the beach, I don't think it's really that much of a concern.
I see. Let's put the concern on frame and money aside. That leaves me the most important parts that flows me on the road which is pedals, chain, shifter(they are metals right) and the I'm..rest derailure(sp?) How can I keep up with rust free daily through rain or no rain?
Old 07-22-18, 10:26 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
TriFlow. I've used it for decades on all sorts of mechanical equipment--especially bikes--and it's never failed me.
Old 07-22-18, 11:15 PM
General Geoff

I see. Let's put the concern on frame and money aside. That leaves me the most important parts that flows me on the road which is pedals, chain, shifter(they are metals right) and the I'm..rest derailure(sp?) How can I keep up with rust free daily through rain or no rain?
The biggest factor in reducing/preventing rust, IMO, is parking it inside at home, preferably in an air conditioned/low humidity room. If your bike spends most of its time there, moisture won't have a chance to fester and corrode. You can let the bike drip dry after a wet ride, none of the components on a bicycle should flash-rust overnight.

I would give it a rinse with clean water after riding through brined/salted roads during winter, if that's a thing you do.
Old 07-22-18, 11:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
The salt air of places like Martha's Vineyard is a killer to bikes that spend their life in it.

I've treated several frames with AMS Oil Heavy Duty Metal Protector. One $8 can will do 3 bikes.

For bikes that are going to see a harsh environment, I pack the bearings in lots of marine trailer hub grease; the stuff that can both hold up at highway speeds under load and then get submerged several feet to launch the boat. Nothing a bicycle see will ever touch it. (Any auto parts store.) I also use that grease on threads.

If you really want a finish that will protect a steel frame in any conditions. paint it with a two part epoxy paint. (A brush does a surprisingly good job. Epoxy "flows" as it sets up and brush marks disappear. (Don't even think about touching the paint at this time!)

Ben
Old 07-22-18, 11:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Problem is most components use chrome plated steel bolts..

there is no perfect cure short of the Moon

which is too small to retain an atmosphere, .. with Oxygen in it..

given Rust is Iron Oxide after all ..
Old 07-23-18, 10:03 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I have seen some horrendously rusted bikes, but for the most part they were ones that lived outside in all weather. If you store your bike inside and do normal care and maintenance you should not have any issue with rust. There are a lot of phobic tendencies here about rust on frames, especially internally, and that sells a lot of products that supposedly treat the condition (the phobia, that is). I have never treated a frame with Frame Saver or the like and have had no internal rust issues on any of the many bikes that I own. I own 7 steel bikes ranging from 20-50 years old. My daily commuter bike, which gets the most abuse, is over 45 years old, ridden in all weather, all year and the only rust is the small amount that forms if I get a chip in the paint and don't attend to it quick. After every wet ride, I just wipe it dry with a damp rag. I do use anti-seize on the BB threads, and grease the stem and seat tube but that's about it.

To summarize: Wipe it down when wet, store it in a dry area, maintain the components, and don't worry.
Old 07-23-18, 10:18 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It take a very very long time for a chromoly steel bike frame to rust out to a point of it being unrideable. I don't think I've ever heard of it.
This is my feeling. I see a lot of 1970s steel road bikes in daily use. I've never personally heard of one failing due to rust. IMO, this is a non-issue. Squirt some Boeshield in the tubes if you're worried.
Old 07-23-18, 02:03 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Inside surface of the tubing, and the outside surface of the tubing.
Old 07-24-18, 01:54 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Carbon fiber is corrosion proof, and titanium and aluminum are so resistant that even riding through brine all winter will not really affect them.

The chain and gears, and the spokes on the wheels are still susceptible, though.
Aluminum corrodes quickly in salty environments, if you live near the beach you figure this out soon enough. Carbon fiber does not corrode, but exposure to UV light and some chemicals can cause the epoxy used to bond the carbon materials to break down. Titanium is impervious to corrosion, UV light, and chemicals. Steel is more durable than aluminum or carbon fiber, cheaper, and can last decades in bad environments so long as you keep it clean.

I've had a couple steel road bikes which were made in the 1940's, and they are still in good condition now.
Old 07-24-18, 02:34 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
You really have to neglect a bike for it to rust. And even then its typically the stuff i.e. pedals, wheels, seat post, stem, etc., that rusts and not the frame. The only exception is a Walmart bike. It may look identical to the bike you bought at your LBS when its shiny and new, but a year from purchase is when you'll really see what you get for 100 bucks.

The simplest way to keep in from rusting is to stay out of the rain. If it does get wet, rinse it with tap water as soon as you get home. Even better, wash and dry it.
Old 07-24-18, 03:26 AM
toast3d

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't ride your nice bikes in the rain. Get a rain bike. Rain bikes are cheap bikes that you don't care about ruining. Make sure to slap some plastic full size fenders on it. The fenders are there to protect you, not the bike. Beat the hell out of the bike all you want, just as long as it still works.

Rain bikes are fun. It's a game to see how long you can keep the thing going. It can teach you a lot about maintenance when you have a cheap beater bike to work on which you don't care about as much as your more expensive nicer bikes.
Old 07-25-18, 05:38 AM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toast3d
Don't ride your nice bikes in the rain. Get a rain bike. Rain bikes are cheap bikes that you don't care about ruining. Make sure to slap some plastic full size fenders on it. The fenders are there to protect you, not the bike. Beat the hell out of the bike all you want, just as long as it still works.

Rain bikes are fun. It's a game to see how long you can keep the thing going. It can teach you a lot about maintenance when you have a cheap beater bike to work on which you don't care about as much as your more expensive nicer bikes.
I'll definitely remember this. Thank you.
Old 07-25-18, 07:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Ti is an awesome material and after riding a ti bike for over a year now, I can say it may rival my steel bikes and certainly is getting the most riding these days. The corrosion resistance is great but the ride quality is even greater and it is pretty light too!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.