Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling and Fat loss

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling and Fat loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19, 08:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
My expert friend Kevin Hall would argue that its easier to consume mass calories when the food is hyper-refined. A 32 ounce big gulp will have about 150 g of carbohydrate, or about 600 calories. To put that in perspective, a normal healthy diet might have about 2500 calories more or less. And you don't get vitamins, fiber, protein, or fat (we need some fat in our diets).

To add another point, consider: your body has about 5 liters of blood. Fasting plasma glucose is about 90 milligrams per deciliter, or about 900mg/liter. So you have about 1350 mg, or a gram and a half of blood suger at fasting conditions. IF you're not diabetic, this goes up to maybe 4 g or so after a meal. So with a Big Gulp one is drinking, in highly absorbable form, about 30-100 times more sugar than your blood can absorb. This is a huge hit. Our bodies can handle this once in a while, but constantly pounding one's metabolism with this stuff is really detrimental. Especially so with high-fructose corn syrup which doesn't stimulate the body to produce insulin as effectively as glucose. Seems to me to be a recipe for "How can I induce overweight and diabetes in my body?"

I don't even drink soft drinks anymore.
Absolutely all of that is true, and it's a well-known effect that people don't feel satiation from liquid calories as well. I avoid sugar soda and any kind of fruit juice because it's entirely too easy to get a huge carb load. But I'm pretty sure your friend Kevin would also include white flour as being hyper-refined as well, and that's because it's concentrated complex carbs.

The problem I'm pointing to is that people think they can consume large quantities of starches and sugars because the source is "natural" or "whole", or the carb is complex, and that somehow those calories and their glycemic effect count less.

I was also responding to a poster who has asserted in the past that people eating too much dried fruit isn't really a problem, and almost nothing is higher in fructose than that. A cup of dried prunes (really a small portion) has 111g of carbohydrate, only 12g of which is fiber.
Old 07-12-19, 08:56 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Likes For Riveting:
Old 07-12-19, 09:25 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Rather than attacking my use of an emoji, READ my post critically for it's content, not emojis, style or typos, and understand why that chart is misleading, at best. Then if you have something more cogent to say, please do so. Otherwise don't bother.

PS Food for thought: Pseudo-science is not science. Just because the word science is present, does not make it actually "science".

PPS I do not mean to be insulting or sound arrogant. I do mean to be emphatic. People who practice endurance sports, should be careful about extreme dieting.

When in a state of ketosis, one long hot day on the bike, with or without a little dehydration mixed in, can put a body in an unhealthy state.

If I offended ksryder or anyone else, my apologies. My only goal was to counter the false equivalencies and prevent misunderstandings which that chart promotes.

Ride well, Eric
I fail to see any false equivalencies in that graphic. It says how these diets work *for weight loss*. Not for health. In that respect, it's completely accurate. They all work by creating a caloric deficit, which, last I checked, is the only scientifically proven way to lose weight outside of surgery and the like.
Old 07-12-19, 09:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by OBoile
I fail to see any false equivalencies in that graphic. It says how these diets work *for weight loss*. Not for health. In that respect, it's completely accurate. They all work by creating a caloric deficit, which, last I checked, is the only scientifically proven way to lose weight outside of surgery and the like.
I've seen that graphic before, and I thought the point was to combat the thought that any one of these approaches somehow had some magic by which calories didn't matter. The disgusting awfulness of the keto diet is so obvious that its selling points have to be about the uniqueness of its benefits and wildly overstating its efficacy, which this graphic effectively counters.

The keto diet gives faster weight loss at the beginning than other diets, but that effect wears off very quickly. Apparently, people feel so sick on it at the beginning that they just don't want to eat. As people adapt or drop out because they can't adapt, it just has the same or worse crappy success rate as all of the others.
Old 07-12-19, 10:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Almost as effective as a frame material thread.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-12-19, 11:16 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've seen that graphic before, and I thought the point was to combat the thought that any one of these approaches somehow had some magic by which calories didn't matter. The disgusting awfulness of the keto diet is so obvious that its selling points have to be about the uniqueness of its benefits and wildly overstating its efficacy, which this graphic effectively counters.

The keto diet gives faster weight loss at the beginning than other diets, but that effect wears off very quickly. Apparently, people feel so sick on it at the beginning that they just don't want to eat. As people adapt or drop out because they can't adapt, it just has the same or worse crappy success rate as all of the others.
I don't know where that info of success or failure comes from and I would doubt that Keto is any less effective than a standard calorie counting diet, and would think it is much more effective especially from my 40 years experience dieting.

I also think a huge disconnect is what different people call Keto. Personally,I only use the Keto diet info to discover new foods. My diet is really simple,no sugar at all in any form, no grains in any form and no starchy vegetables. I have found this to be very effective in loosing weight.

Now,whether it is good and even necessary for a top athlete to consume lots of carbs is another question entirely to the question that the OP asked and not even in the same context. If the context is loosing weight and using cycling to assist that,then I would still say to cut out all sugar,all grain and as much starch as possible if weight loss is the goal. The goal for a top athlete in a race is totally different and completely irrelevant to the topic.
Old 07-12-19, 11:46 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Dear sir, you pick at nits. More than that, you pick at nits out of context.

Alert: This is a load of garbage masquerading as science. While it may be technically accurate to describe them as all working by "creating a caloric deficit", the way this is achieved is NOT the same and has very different potential outcomes, and potential SIDE-EFFECTS, not all of which have been studied in a truly systematic scientific way.

"It says how these diets work *for weight loss*. Not for health. In that respect, it's completely accurate."

NB I acknowlege that it is technically accurate. you say completely... A nit, found.
Do you also fail to see that people looking for information about different methods of weight loss, are concerned about their health, or just choose to ignore it?

I do not see why you choose to point out the chart's technical correctness, while giving this for profit company a pass on ignoring the very different health implications of the diets in their chart. I do not see how that adds to the general understanding of weight loss methods.

You go further in your remarks, to what purpose, I am not sure. I held you no animus. I don't think we have ever interacted before. I even apologized if I sounded rude or arrogant.

I doubt that you are a shill for the company, so why such a snarky tone... "which last I checked..." Ouch.

Check again, perhaps. Hopefully we can recalibrate and start afresh. Best regards, Eric

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-12-19 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-12-19, 12:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by RH Clark
I don't know where that info of success or failure comes from and I would doubt that Keto is any less effective than a standard calorie counting diet, and would think it is much more effective especially from my 40 years experience dieting.

I also think a huge disconnect is what different people call Keto. Personally,I only use the Keto diet info to discover new foods. My diet is really simple,no sugar at all in any form, no grains in any form and no starchy vegetables. I have found this to be very effective in loosing weight.

Now,whether it is good and even necessary for a top athlete to consume lots of carbs is another question entirely to the question that the OP asked and not even in the same context. If the context is loosing weight and using cycling to assist that,then I would still say to cut out all sugar,all grain and as much starch as possible if weight loss is the goal. The goal for a top athlete in a race is totally different and completely irrelevant to the topic.
"While in the short term the ketogenic diet may help one lose weight, this is not sustained over the long run. In addition, countless studies show that the diet is associated with many complications that often lead to emergency room visits and admissions for dehydration, electrolyte disturbances, and hypoglycemia."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499830/
Old 07-12-19, 12:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Alert: This is a load of garbage masquerading as science. While it may be technically accurate to describe them as all working by "creating a caloric deficit", the way this is achieved is NOT the same and has very different potential outcomes, and potential SIDE-EFFECTS, not all of which have been studied in a truly systematic scientific way.

"It says how these diets work *for weight loss*. Not for health. In that respect, it's completely accurate."

NB I acknowlege that it is technically accurate. you say completely... A nit, found.
Do you also fail to see that people looking for information about different methods of weight loss, are concerned about their health, or just choose to ignore it?

I do not see why you choose to point out the chart's technical correctness, while giving this for profit company a pass on ignoring the very different health implications of the diets in their chart. I do not see how that adds to the general understanding of weight loss methods.

You go further in your remarks, to what purpose, I am not sure. I held you no animus. I don't think we have ever interacted before. I even apologized if I sounded rude or arrogant.

I doubt that you are a shill for the company, so why such a snarky tone... "which last I checked..." Ouch.

Check again, perhaps. Hopefully we can recalibrate and start afresh. Best regards, Eric
He's not picking at nits, you're missing the point. People looking at diets are often looking for magic bullets, the point of that chart is that there are no magic bullets when it comes to weight loss. Nowhere does it state or imply they all have the same costs or benefits.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-12-19, 12:11 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
Diets don’t work. Best way to go crazy and drive everybody around you nuts. Burn massive calories on the bike and don’t over eat. Push a lawn mower or other chores.
Old 07-12-19, 12:13 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts

Out of context? Did you, or did you not say:
This is a load of garbage masquerading as science.
When it makes no claim about being scientific, and what statements it does make, are accurate according to the current top scientific beliefs?
PS Food for thought: Pseudo-science is not science. Just because the word science is present, does not make it actually "science".
The word "science" is not present in that chart. And again, it is factual.
My only goal was to counter the false equivalencies and prevent misunderstandings which that chart promotes.
I don't see any false equivalencies. All of these diets achieve weight loss by creating a caloric deficit. In that respect, they are equivalent.

Call it "picking at nits" if you want, but you're the one who is calling a graphic "garbage" because it doesn't do a deep dive into all of the potential benefits, drawbacks and unknowns of every diet listed - something that is impossible to do given the limited space available for this type of communication. I don't see it has hyping up keto, or any other type of diet, at all. Quite the opposite in fact. To me, the message was always what @livedarklions said:
... I thought the point was to combat the thought that any one of these approaches somehow had some magic by which calories didn't matter. The disgusting awfulness of the keto diet is so obvious that its selling points have to be about the uniqueness of its benefits and wildly overstating its efficacy, which this graphic effectively counters.
IMO, it's a very effective at this, quite the opposite of "garbage".

P.S. apologies for sounding snarky in my previous post. I do that too often online. It's something I need to work on.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 07-12-19, 12:24 PM
indyfabz

Carbon fiber frames are dangerous.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-12-19, 12:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Fiber is an important part of a diet, but not sure the carbon won't take you out of ketosis.
Old 07-12-19, 12:34 PM
indyfabz

Fiber is an important part of a diet, but not sure the carbon won't take you out of ketosis.
Hasn't aluminum in the brain been linked to Alzheimer's? I forget.
Old 07-12-19, 12:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Hasn't aluminum in the brain been linked to Alzheimer's? I forget.
It was then it wasn't.
Old 07-12-19, 01:48 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
While it has rambled a bit, this has been for me a very informative discussion. Thanks to the OP and others for the contributions.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 07-12-19, 01:52 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Triples are obsolete.
Old 07-12-19, 06:39 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
ok, back to square one...

Out of context? Did you, or did you not say:
When it makes no claim about being scientific, and what statements it does make, are accurate according to the current top scientific beliefs?
The word "science" is not present in that chart. And again, it is factual.
I don't see any false equivalencies. All of these diets achieve weight loss by creating a caloric deficit. In that respect, they are equivalent.

Call it "picking at nits" if you want, but you're the one who is calling a graphic "garbage" because it doesn't do a deep dive into all of the potential benefits, drawbacks and unknowns of every diet listed - something that is impossible to do given the limited space available for this type of communication. I don't see it has hyping up keto, or any other type of diet, at all. Quite the opposite in fact. To me, the message was always what @livedarklions said: IMO, it's a very effective at this, quite the opposite of "garbage".

P.S. apologies for sounding snarky in my previous post. I do that too often online. It's something I need to work on.
I stand corrected, certainly in some regards, I'll have to go through it tonight. Perhaps I was looking at this the wrong way round. Why did I think this was being promoted as science? I'm not sure, perhaps on the site where the chart is posted. I appreciate your apology regarding tone, and will amend mine as well. If I disagree with this most recent post, i will respond further. If I think you have it mostly right, this will be the end of it. Was I really so off base? It has been known to have happened. Once, long ago.
Best regards, Eric
Old 07-12-19, 09:01 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Almost as effective as a frame material thread.
Exactly. If people don't get that titanium is superior by now, they never will.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-15-19, 11:13 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Cycling, being a low-impact cardio exercise, is an excellent way to lose body fat, in general. But (as you you seem to be asking about) , you can't target specific area for fat reduction (as with sit-ups, for example). Unfortunately, it just don't work that way.
There is no proof that situps can help anybody lose belly fat specifically. It only improves muscle definition.
Old 07-15-19, 11:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Brocephus
Cycling, being a low-impact cardio exercise, is an excellent way to lose body fat, in general. But (as you you seem to be asking about) , you can't target specific area for fat reduction (as with sit-ups, for example). Unfortunately, it just don't work that way.
Originally Posted by Jicafold
There is no proof that situps can help anybody lose belly fat specifically. It only improves muscle definition.
Yup, you're agreeing with each other.

Anyone else encountering this "lose belly fat by drinking cider vinegar" nonsense?

Apparently it has to be expensive cider vinegar. Big surprise.
Old 07-15-19, 11:41 AM
toegnix

Bikes: FUJI Transonic SL (2016), BH G6 Pro (2013), BH G5 (2012), BH G5 (2010), Luma RAX (2009) VeloVie Vitesse 300SE (2008), Kuota Kredo (2007), Cannondale CAAD 8 (2005, 2006), Felt F1 (2004), Trek 5200 (2003), Trek 5200 (1994), DiamondBack Master TG (1990)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling (and exercise in general) will help with losing fat, however, you cannot particularly target belly/waist fat. Instead, where your fat loss comes from will be a function of your body type, which you cannot control.

Reducing your belly fat falls under the achievable goal of body fat % reduction, which means burning more calories than you take in, either by eating less calories or increasing your burn rate to create a calorie deficit. There are 3,500 calories per pound of body fat, so if your caloric deficit is 350 a day, you can lose a pound of body fat in 10 days. Keep in mind that may not reflect as weight loss, since you may build heavier muscle in that time, but you'll be getting leaner (lower body fat %).

More help: Biking to Lose Weight
Old 07-15-19, 11:45 AM
kvanegas

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EuanTait
Hi to all, I am a 16 year old and although I do have a good physical shape I would just like to ask if cycling can help with loosing belly/waist fat. I also do upper body/back/core training aswell but Im just looking for an answer if cycling can effectively help with excess fat loss around those areas.
Indeed, yes. Cycling is high performing sport, so it helps. Listen: Food is necessary and important. You must eat carbohydrates and proteins before and during the ride (the lack of food is a mistake). After, fruits, some starches, more protein for muscle, and vegetables. Your weight and health will remain.
Old 07-15-19, 11:52 AM
mickeyaaaa

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight loss/Fat loss is controlled 80% by diet. Any exercise will help burn some calories but its almost pointless if your diet is poor.

a 150 lb individual would have to cycle at a moderate pace for 2.5-3 hours just to burn off a big mac, large fries and medium soft drink. - now multiply that kind of eating by 3 meals per day plus snacks and you'd have to be cycling all day long just to make up for it - that is not realistic or even possible for most people.

I lost a large amount of weight 5 years ago (close to 30 lbs) just by changing diet - gave up all processed foods and animal foods - went whole food plant based/low oil and have kept it off since. I was not even working out regularly at the time.
Old 07-15-19, 12:48 PM
blekenbleu

Bikes: 1973 Coventry Eagle, 2016 Mongoose Argus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling is good for improving metabolism, which helps burn fat,
but removing belly fat wants belly movement, for which yoga can be good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.