Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Route planning with an elevation goal?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-13-19, 11:46 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I don't pre-plan rides on a computer very often. There's probably a tool for this, but I'm not sure what it is. The route planner in Garmin Connect looks a lot better than the last time I used it. To be honest I like the give me a random route feature.

Tomorrow is going to be a long and strenuous day. I need to take it easy today, but still want to get out. So as little elevation as possible, for a light spin. I can see a few options looking at the terrain map, but I don't want to click a bunch of points or even care about the details. I just want to say give me something 30 to 50 miles, as flat as possible.

Is there something out there that can do that?
Old 07-13-19, 07:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't pre-plan rides on a computer very often. There's probably a tool for this, but I'm not sure what it is. The route planner in Garmin Connect looks a lot better than the last time I used it. To be honest I like the give me a random route feature.

Tomorrow is going to be a long and strenuous day. I need to take it easy today, but still want to get out. So as little elevation as possible, for a light spin. I can see a few options looking at the terrain map, but I don't want to click a bunch of points or even care about the details. I just want to say give me something 30 to 50 miles, as flat as possible.

Being a ride leader, I've planned many, many routes using RidewithGPS.com. I have hundreds of them for this area. PM me. I've ridden so many roads in this area, that I just know about where to plot to get whatever elevation gain per mile. There really isn't another way. Connect is a POS IMO. I only want to ride on the roads I want to ride on, for very good reasons. RWGPS is a piece of art, really. If you get to using it, go premium to keep it going.

Tomorrow's group ride won't be flat: 114 miles, 8000'. I don't feel ready, but then I never do.
Old 07-13-19, 08:06 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
+1 Ridewithgps

Plot a route, backtrack or juggle until it has the numbers (wind direction, water stops etc.) that you want,

save for later if you want.
Old 07-13-19, 09:05 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

Google maps for something quick and somewhat inaccurate.

Ride with GPS for something a bit more detailed and accurate.
Old 07-13-19, 10:28 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Go ride around. If you see a hill, go the other way.
Old 07-13-19, 11:10 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I was my club’s ride coordinator for the last two years and also endorse RidewithGPS. It’s really pretty easy to use, especially if you are just mapping out something for yourself and just want a general idea of elevation. I had to be a bit more precise since riders would download the routes to their bike computers. Even so, not difficult to learn.
Old 07-14-19, 12:18 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
If you don’t mind driving, start in SODO and go south. It is flat until you get to Orting. That’s probably around 75 miles of flat riding round trip.
Old 07-15-19, 12:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Thanks to everyone who replied. Send line RwGPS is the consensus. I'll check it out (it's been a while) to be ready for next time.
Old 07-15-19, 12:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by colnago62
If you don’t mind driving, start in SODO and go south. It is flat until you get to Orting. That’s probably around 75 miles of flat riding round trip.
I drove to Darrington and did about 25 miles of gravel doubletrack. I planned a route ahead of time and the ele chart was flat like a waffle, not flat like a pancake. The road I planned to take was decommissioned about halfway, it just stops being recognizable as a road. I explored some other dead ends, and stopped for a meth burger on the way home.