Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

choosing a MTB to do it all low budget

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 09:19 PM
cpizanov

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

First of all I want to put you in context. I live in Bogotá D.C and planning to buy a new bike, mostly to commute, doing errands and in the long run, do some XC and touring(rack eyeletes a must!). It has to be new (for two reasons: stolen bikes and really bad shape of second hand market in general). It has to be a MTB (firstly, hybrids and tourers are super hard to find and are usually more expensive than MTB down here. My budget is barely 500 US dollars (which is equivalent to 1'500.000 colombian pesos). I am around 5'7 feet

I've managed to cut it down to 3 models, all of them have eyelets for racks:

1.) Trek Marlin 5: U$ 460
2.) Optimus Sirius:U$410 you can look at it at optimusbikes. com/productos/6/optimus-sirius-hidraulico (cant put hyperlinks yet, sorry)
3.) Venzo Amphion or Spark: maybe $460

the pros of the trek is, well, it's a Trek, so quality at its best, plus cool "G2 geometry"; the cons are the lousy components (barely 7 speed cogs, and tektro mechanical discs)

the pros of the optimus are some components (specially the 8 speed cogs and the shimano hydraulic brakes) but there are lots of components with a bit of a doubtful reputation like the hubs.

the Venzo, I would have to go to an LBS and order it on demand, which could give me the components I like (altus, with hydraulics on my price range), but I've barely heard of venzo as a brand (though apparently it has a great market share in Argentina as a frame only brand)

what would you do? stay with the trek? the "optimus" or the "venzo"?