Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tripwire on "My" Bridge...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-19, 06:56 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts

This bridge is a mile from my home and I have ridden over it hundreds of times over the years.
I don't know if this was avoidable in any way, but I post it just a reminder to be alert for crap like this.
WIshing a speedy recovery to the rider.
https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Bi...508085091.html
Old 04-04-19, 04:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Too many of those "pranks." There are a few places along the local MUP where I watch very carefully for tripwires and booby traps, especially at night. As far as I know it's never happened here. But I've witnessed a few confrontations between cyclists and other trail users. Often when perpetrators are caught they either had a grievance against cyclists, or they were idiotic younger guys who thought it was a harmless prank that wouldn't seriously injure or kill anyone.

And fluctuations in the economy and provisions for homeless and/or mentally ill folks can impact safety on shared MUPs. There was a gruesome murder on the Dallas trails a few years ago -- a jogger was murdered by a mentally ill guy with a machete or axe. That's rare, though. Most homeless folks I've chattered with along my bike rides are very averse to confrontation and dislike the official shelters because of the noise and aggressive vibe. They prefer the quieter parks or downtown area because they feel safer. I don't worry about homeless folks setting up tripwires along the trails.
Old 04-04-19, 06:34 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Here in North Georgia they put branches across the trail as a ploy to rob cyclists who stop.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...jJkIr5Vo0CxCO/

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...g5ekN6s8x82lJ/

-Tim-
Old 04-05-19, 01:39 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
My wife was telling me that someone put a piece of thin wire across an off road bike trail off of the Louisville Loop a few days ago. Said the mtn.biker wasn't going fast and was able to stop before hitting it, luckily. The park's rangers are keeping a close look out now, and doing more walking of the off-road trails. Years ago, I came across where someone had broken glass bottles on a rocky section of singletrack. JERKS!!
Old 04-05-19, 02:31 PM
bugs11

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Last year on the first day of RAGBRAI someone threw a bunch of nails on the county road the route followed that day. I was out on the road early and saw a street sweeper working. I also saw DOT trucks pulled over and guys with brooms sweeping the road - which I thought was odd, so I asked them why they were sweeping the road as I went by. That's when I found out about the nails. Luckily I didn't get a flat but I saw a number of cyclists who did. Some people are jerks (to put it nicely). C'est la vie.
Old 04-10-19, 08:02 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Karma is a real ***** when she comes back around swinging her bat.
I've seen people well deserving get hit with it.
Old 04-10-19, 08:23 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
Karma is a real ***** when she comes back around swinging her bat.
I've seen people well deserving get hit with it.
We would like to say so; but no, it rains on the just and the unjust alike. To think otherwise is a reliance on the just-world hypotheses which is better known as the just-world fallacy.

The just-world hypothesis or just-world fallacy is the cognitive bias (or assumption) that a person's actions are inherently inclined to bring morally fair and fitting consequences to that person, to the end of all noble actions being eventually rewarded and all evil actions eventually punished. In other words, the just-world hypothesis is the tendency to attribute consequences to—or expect consequences as the result of—a universal force that restores moral balance. This belief generally implies the existence of cosmic justice, destiny, divine providence, desert, stability, or order, and has high potential to result in fallacy, especially when used to rationalize people's misfortune on the grounds that they "deserve" it.

The hypothesis popularly appears in the English language in various figures of speech that imply guaranteed negative reprisal, such as: "you got what was coming to you", "what goes around comes around", "chickens come home to roost", "everything happens for a reason", and "you reap what you sow". This hypothesis has been widely studied by social psychologists since Melvin J. Lerner conducted seminal work on the belief in a just world in the early 1960s. Research has continued since then, examining the predictive capacity of the hypothesis in various situations and across cultures, and clarifying and expanding the theoretical understandings of just-world beliefs.
from here

Last edited by Robert C; 04-10-19 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Typos' and adding sources
Old 04-10-19, 08:33 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I don't understand how we can put someone in prison for 10 to 20 for their second un-armed robbery but folks like this (when caught) often get next to nothing.

Put some teens on trial as adults (or adults) and put em in the slammer for 10 years for this crap and it'll stop.

Too many things seen as "boredom crime" carry too lenient a penalty. If your kid did it, sure it would be upsetting to lose a kid for 10 years to prison. But you raised a kid (or adult) who thought it funny to string a death trap up.
Old 04-10-19, 09:23 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Too many things seen as "boredom crime" carry too lenient a penalty. If your kid did it, sure it would be upsetting to lose a kid for 10 years to prison. But you raised a kid (or adult) who thought it funny to string a death trap up.
Eh, It'd be a pretty tragic outcome for me to ever support sending someone to prison for ten years over this. As a society, I feel we can come up with far better ways to punish than simply using prison for everything.

I'm thinking if it was a prank by a kid with no record, a year or two of supervised probation, all summers and weekends in the spring and fall during said probation spent cleaning up and maintaining park trails, and fines and restitution to the victims should get the point across fairly strong. If you consider that light, I'd suggest you try it for a few weeks and see if your mind changes.
Old 04-10-19, 09:33 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Eh, It'd be a pretty tragic outcome for me to ever support sending someone to prison for ten years over this. As a society, I feel we can come up with far better ways to punish than simply using prison for everything.

I'm thinking if it was a prank by a kid with no record, a year or two of supervised probation, all summers and weekends in the spring and fall during said probation spent cleaning up and maintaining park trails, and fines and restitution to the victims should get the point across fairly strong. If you consider that light, I'd suggest you try it for a few weeks and see if your mind changes.
Thanks. I was going to post something similar, but yours is much better than what I was formulating.

If it was a kid pulling a prank, with no understanding of the consequences (as the victim speculates), making restitution for several years would be far more useful to everyone than a long-term prison sentence.

If it was a sociopath (adult) with full understanding of the consequences, then prosecute for assault and battery and/or attempted murder.
Old 04-10-19, 10:00 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'm not talking about a low-strung trap like was posted. There have been local news stories here of high-strung ones setup to kill moto/4-wheeler riders in the past.

That's what I'm referring to.

Ok, send the kid to some kind of rehab center and the parent gets the prison time instead. I can be OK with some rehab for a younger kid (under 15 or so). But some adult has to have some consequences.
Old 04-10-19, 10:01 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Kids pulling pranks wouldn't use para-cord. Kite string, rope, twine, all cheap, visible & readily available.
Para-cord is strong invisible & expensive by comparison.
This was deliberate. Some people just have problems.

About a month ago, I was in Kenmore (an adjacent town,) Pedaling on at about 18mph and some guy tossed a nail filled pringles can in the trail right in front of me. I just went around it because, honestly it was like a hundred feet in front of me & I was wondering "why'd he drop his chips?" As I went by he started screaming that I should slow down & called me "Speed-racer" I told him to have a good walk.

Last week I was doing 12 while on the hoods and a little girl about 10 years old darted across the path without looking then halted right in my path when I caught her eye. I was prepared & took evasive action & narrowly missed her. I was told "slow the eph down!" by a cyclist approaching from the other direction. "I was doing 12!" I yelled.

I think people respond to posture. Hands on the hoods or drops equals "racing" & in their minds they take offense that "dangerous" activities are afoot & they've gotta do something about the lawless entitled cyclists mucking up their serenity. That their only cycling knowledge is a $100 Wal-mart junker isn't my problem.

I never have these interactions if I ride a flat bar bike, or sit up on the tops even at the same speed. Thanks. I'll keep my hands where the brakes are for people like this.
Old 04-10-19, 12:09 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Kids pulling pranks wouldn't use para-cord. Kite string, rope, twine, all cheap, visible & readily available.
Para-cord is strong invisible & expensive by comparison.
This was deliberate. Some people just have problems.

About a month ago, I was in Kenmore (an adjacent town,) Pedaling on at about 18mph and some guy tossed a nail filled pringles can in the trail right in front of me. I just went around it because, honestly it was like a hundred feet in front of me & I was wondering "why'd he drop his chips?" As I went by he started screaming that I should slow down & called me "Speed-racer" I told him to have a good walk.

Last week I was doing 12 while on the hoods and a little girl about 10 years old darted across the path without looking then halted right in my path when I caught her eye. I was prepared & took evasive action & narrowly missed her. I was told "slow the eph down!" by a cyclist approaching from the other direction. "I was doing 12!" I yelled.

I think people respond to posture. Hands on the hoods or drops equals "racing" & in their minds they take offense that "dangerous" activities are afoot & they've gotta do something about the lawless entitled cyclists mucking up their serenity. That their only cycling knowledge is a $100 Wal-mart junker isn't my problem.

I never have these interactions if I ride a flat bar bike, or sit up on the tops even at the same speed. Thanks. I'll keep my hands where the brakes are for people like this.
Nailed it.
No different than a car with the muffler chopped off cruising in 1st gear doing 15 mph down a residential 25 mph street around 3pm.
The locals will report that "dangerously fast careless car" to the authorities ASAP.

Put the muffler back on that same car & then go traveling 40 mph down the very same street a week later... No one gives a hoot.
Old 04-10-19, 02:46 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by base2

I feel your pain. The vast majority of people on the huge MUP network in my area are very polite and tolerant. The path is fairly wide, straight and generally not very crowded so it's used by "serious cyclists" all the time doing 18-20 MPH. I see group rides, people doing intervals, town line sprint etc on this path. I ride with a bell and make sure people know I'm coming around. 99% of the time, it's fine. However, every once in a while you run into a selfish jackass who thinks they own the trail. These people generally think that anyone else using the trail in a manner inconsistent with their preferred use of the trail is violating some sort of rule. Lycra clad cyclists certainly qualify as "rule breakers". No amount of reasoning and no amount of care in approaching can appease these people. Also, they completely absolve themselves of any selfish action they've taken that has increased the risk of the encounter. Three examples I encounter frequently:

- someone walking a dog on one of those reel leashes with the leash at full extension. You approach from behind slowly and ask to pass. They very slowly start to reel in their dog like it's a marlin they've hooked in the deep ocean. Loud huffing and a yelled "SLOW DOWN" usually follow. How about you not use a giant leash? Why are you walking a dog on a path with many bikes in the first place?

- people running / walking three abreast, all talking loudly or all listening to headphones. These people are totally oblivious to the outside world. You approach and announce your intention to pass, they go into a sort of Keystone Kops running around/falling over themselves routine. It's as if they're shocked that someone else might be on the trail. Again, huffing and yelling sometimes ensues. How about you pay attention to your environment? How about you not take up the whole damned trail?

- people with young kids learning to ride bikes. They generally pick a warm summer day during prime time when the trail is going to be crowded. The kid inevitably turns out in front of you when they look back because they haven't learned to ride straight. I slow waaaay down to sub-walking pace and announce my intention to pass. The parents make NO effort to ensure the kid stops or otherwise stays out of the way. I pass at 3 mph, praying that the kid doesn't turn into my wheels. The parents make it very clear that I'm imposing on them through this process. How about you teach a kid to ride somewhere other than a relatively narrow path on a packed summer day? How about you tell the kid to stop to ensure there are no issues?

Gah.

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-10-19 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 02:57 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11

- someone walking a dog on one of those reel leashes with the leash at full extension. You approach from behind slowly and ask to pass. They very slowly start to reel in their dog like it's a marlin they've hooked in the deep ocean. Loud huffing and a yelled "SLOW DOWN" usually follow. How about you not use a giant leash? Why are you walking a dog on a path with many bikes in the first place?
I suppose they're wondering "Why ride a bike on a trail where people are walking their dogs?"

What I don't get are people who walk on the wrong side of the path. Even riding at a reasonable 10 MPH or less can get interesting when you come around a blind corner to find someone walking on the same side of the path as you're riding. I understand walking on the wrong side of the street, but on a MUP? I just don't get it, and MANY folks in this area do it.

-Matt
Old 04-11-19, 09:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Eh, It'd be a pretty tragic outcome for me to ever support sending someone to prison for ten years over this. As a society, I feel we can come up with far better ways to punish than simply using prison for everything...
The lash.