Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Rain Geae

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Rain Geae

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 05:22 PM
Kedish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rain Gear

Ok folks. What are your suggestions on rain gear when riding a recumbent. I live in the Pacific Northwest were it rains 364 out of 365 days of the year. I figured that being in a reclined position would have different clothing requirements than an upright.
Old 04-27-19, 10:51 PM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
This is probably not what you had in mind, but I went to a boat shop and had a water-proof seat cover made for my foam seat. It is kind of like a hair protector for a shower. That was after having an uncomfortable wet/damp seat for several days after a rainy day's ride in France on a group tour.
Old 04-28-19, 03:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
What kind of recumbent?
Old 04-28-19, 09:04 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
What kind of recumbent?
Indeed. Position makes a difference.

The OHPV (Oregon Human Powered Vehicles) gang mostly wears Showers Pass gear. It helps that they're local (Portland). They also have a warehouse sale every October if you're interested in bargain hunting.

I've had to shop around some. The Showers Pass gear is too tight around my shoulders... but then I'm 6-foot-4 of broad-shouldered Big Ugly. I have a 2XL Bontrager brand rain jacket from Bike Gallery that fits pretty well.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-29-19, 10:01 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I ride in the PNW as well, and after one miserable ride in the rain on my highracer I resolved to not do it again if I could help it. My rain riding philosophy runs to softshells and/or armpit zippers and helmet covers, gloves and shoes. I don't like a wet head, feet, or hands unless they are warm. I don't expect to stay dry in rain but I hope to keep warm. I don't know of any recumbent specific rain-gear or what it might do differently. The recumbent position, however, does not allow you to hunch against the rain or keep it off your face. No raingear sold offers any solution to that problem that I can see. So, for now, the answer is to ride something else when it rains in Portland. Which, as you know, is not actually, 364 of 365 days. Its more like, 200 or less, of 365 days. I can work with that.
Old 04-29-19, 11:21 AM
Kedish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride a vision R32. I will check out the showerpass website and see what I can find.
Old 04-29-19, 03:36 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
On a lowracer, believe it or not, a poncho works. Tuck the bottom front into your shorts and sit on the bottom rear. If you do it right, the exiting air will collapse the poncho at your shoulders. Your feet arms and legs WILL get wet, as will your head but your core will stay warm.

For me that's emergency-only. I normally don't ride if there's a significant chance of rain. Sometimes, though, I'm on a tour where it's unavoidable. For instance, I've only heard of ONE time where there wasn't rain on TOSRV. I avoid the rain by avoiding the ride.
Old 04-30-19, 03:12 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
What kind of recumbent?
It was a Rans Screamer. So two water-proof seat covers, actually.