Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What happened to cheap inner tubes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What happened to cheap inner tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 11:19 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
Plenty here in SoCal:

Old 11-13-20, 07:34 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Inflation?
Old 11-13-20, 09:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Group Buy time?
https://www.globalsources.com/Inner-...htm#1166306109
Old 11-13-20, 08:26 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
What's your preferred tire? I'm in goathead city USA most of the year (the rain really helped clear most off the roads for now).I used to use some really thick Panaracer tires for fixies ("Everwear") that were virtually immune to goatheads, but I can't find them for sale any more.
My 'road bikes' are closer to touring set-ups, and I use either Sefras 'Seca' tires of Vittoria 'Randonneur' tires (700 size). The Vittorias in 32c and 35c work OK, the 28C are almost impossible to get on my rims on one bike so tthat's where I use the Serfas tires.

26" tires - Serfas 'Drifter', comes in 1.5" and2.0" widths. Odd looking tires with an inverted tread, but they roll nice. My 26" bikes are older rigid MTB I use for commuting/utility (and an occasional long ride just to mix it up witht eh road bikes!).

Serfas tires are available through REI. Vittorias available at some REI stores, also a lot of LBSs.

Wild card: PErformance Bike's 'Gotham' tires. When they had stores these were super cheap (under $20), very puncture resistant, and wore well. Only issue was they were noticeably heavier than a comparible (but more expensive) tire brands. They came in both 26" and 700 sizes. You can still buy them on the Performance website, but shipping costs are a little high and negate the low price vs a local bike shop's offerings. Great for your beater/utility bike. I've got one 700 x 32 'under test' on the front of a touring bike and so far its performed great on long day rides (no tour riding during the COVID pandemic ).

Hope that helps.
Old 11-14-20, 05:53 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I pay the equivalent of about $4/tube at Decathlon here in Shanghai. Great quality tubes, too.
Old 11-14-20, 07:10 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I have the opposite problem. I can only find the "cheap" tubes in stock at the local Outdoors Store (MEC).
I tried to avoid MEC (for personal reasons) but since the beer virus has closed a lot of LBS I do what I have to do. Bought a bunch of 700x23-25c tubes @ $5 CDN each......
Old 11-14-20, 06:22 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
The shortage is affecting everything. Yesterday morning my rear shifter cable snapped. Later in the day while out running some errands I stopped at the LBS to get a two new shifter cables for my bike. $12/each (used to be about $7). Uh, no. Went to another LBS and the same thing; they did have some cheap 'galvanized' cables, but I've not had good experiences with those. Went to one more and they didn't have any to sell (they're using their stock on customer repairs). Got home and found some on line for $7 and scheduled for delivery on Monday Nov 16 (I ordered four). I've got another bicycle so no problem waiting for the new cables over the weekend, but dang that's the first time a basic part like a shifter cable has been out of stock at all the locations I checked.
Old 11-14-20, 07:29 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Inflation?
with inner tubes? cmon now .................
Old 11-15-20, 04:16 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
Patches are still cheap, learn how to install them properly, and if you ride as much as I do, you'll save about $100 a year.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 11-15-20, 04:45 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Some inner tubes are not worth patching though, especially the cheap ones that keep splitting open longitudinally for no reason. You'll spend $100 just in patch kits, never mind the all the wasted time.
Old 11-15-20, 05:10 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I have the opposite problem. I can only find the "cheap" tubes in stock at the local Outdoors Store (MEC).
I tried to avoid MEC (for personal reasons) but since the beer virus has closed a lot of LBS I do what I have to do. Bought a bunch of 700x23-25c tubes @ $5 CDN each......
Beer virus
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-16-20, 04:35 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Converting to tubeless rims/tires is not cheap either, but that is a good alternative these days.

Just putting that out there.
Old 11-17-20, 08:27 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Patches are still cheap, learn how to install them properly, and if you ride as much as I do, you'll save about $100 a year.
I still have difficulty with this. I have the vulcanizing fluid and Rema patches and the last few patches I did held 100psi for about 30 min or so. I'm doing something wrong.
Old 11-17-20, 08:49 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by Jicafold
I still have difficulty with this. I have the vulcanizing fluid and Rema patches and the last few patches I did held 100psi for about 30 min or so. I'm doing something wrong.
First guesses: too much glue, glue not yet completely dry before patch was applied. Patching tubes at home, I usually apply the glue and then go and do something else for 10 minutes or more. Waiting more than 10 minutes is probably unnecessary, but it can't hurt.
Old 11-17-20, 09:03 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
First guesses: too much glue, glue not yet completely dry before patch was applied. Patching tubes at home, I usually apply the glue and then go and do something else for 10 minutes or more. Waiting more than 10 minutes is probably unnecessary, but it can't hurt.
The problem Jicafold is having could be too little fluid. Since the curing of Rema patches is a chemical reaction, there needs to be enough fluid for the reaction to make enough bonds. Too much fluid takes longer to dry but it isn’t really an issue when it comes to the curing process. It’s a waste of fluid to be sure but better to have too much than to skimp and have too little.

As to drying, you can’t wait too long for the vulcanizing fluid to dry. I’ve forgotten about patch jobs and come back to them weeks later. The patch still held. 10 minutes is a good time but waiting longer won’t hurt and, if the fluid is a bit thick, it will help.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-17-20, 09:06 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I buy Continental tubes from one of my local bike shops for less than $3.00 each. And, anyone can buy from them, as they have a huge online presence.
can you point us to a source for Conti tubes that cheap? If your LBS is selling them that cheap to customers, they are basically giving them away.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 11-17-20, 01:33 PM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by Trakhak
First guesses: too much glue .
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The problem Jicafold is having could be too little fluid.
Okay. Thank you.
Old 11-17-20, 03:23 PM
Trakhak

Okay. Thank you.
Listen to cyccommute. Chemical reactions are among his many areas of expertise.
Old 11-17-20, 05:48 PM
Jicafold

I was using the super blu vulcanizing cement. But it didn't come with any instructions. I'll be sure to let it dry plenty. Thank you.

https://www.carliftparts.com/product...glue-8-oz-can/
Old 11-17-20, 10:38 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
I was using the super blu vulcanizing cement. But it didn't come with any instructions. I'll be sure to let it dry plenty. Thank you.

https://www.carliftparts.com/product...glue-8-oz-can/
Your “vulcanizing fluid” may be your problem. The MSDS for that fluid says that it has zinc oxide, kaolin, and rubber in it. Rema vulcanizing fluid has zinc diethyldithiocarbamate. The mouthful of chemical there (you could call it ZDDTC or just carbamate) serves as a accelerator and activator of the rubber. The Blue Fluid doesn’t have the same activator in it. There is also a chemical coating the Rema patch that reacts with the activator to make more new rubber between the patch and the tube.

The Blue Fluid simply doesn’t do any of that. It’s essentially rubber cement and it just makes a contact adhesive. That isn’t as permanent. There is sophisticated chemistry involved in the Rema system that just isn’t matched by any other patch system I’ve ever seen. Everything else is just rubber cement.

Bottom line: Use Rema and match the patch and the fluid.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-18-20, 07:55 AM
Jicafold

Ah. Excellent. Thank you.
Old 11-18-20, 12:11 PM
Jicafold

I contacted Rema about this regarding Rima TipTop vulcanizing fluid versus what I was using. I was hoping for a more in-depth answer but their response was similar and they said:

Please understand that Rema Tip Top cold vulcanizing cement is engineered to work specifically with our patches...I can't speak for any incompatibility of BRAND X type products.
Although utilizing products from the same system is always suggested, proper repair area preparation is also important. Cleaning and texturizing the BUTYL tube is critical for any repair system to effectively work.

Best regards,
John Salzbach
Customer Service Manager
201.256.8201 DIRECT
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 11-18-20, 07:15 PM
Jicafold

And not to beat this to death but here is a post on R****T that echoes what Cyccomute says...

Chemist here - natural rubber is a polymer (long chain-like molecules). Vulcanizing adds cross-links (through disulfide bonds) to the rubber, basically turning the strands of rubber molecules into a net, greatly increasing strength. Bike tubes are vulcanized rubber, but the outer surfaces are treated such that all those cross-linking sulfur groups aren't reaching out and trying to grab anything. You put on some vulcanizing fluid (henceforth "glue") and a few disulfide bonds in the tube get broken and re-formed with bonds to the polymers in the glue. Once the glue dries (there's a bit of solvent that has to evaporate) the inner side of the glue spot is chemically bound to the tire. The outer side is left with a bunch of free sulfur groups waiting to grab onto some other sulfur groups. Then you peel that piece of foil off the orange side of the tire patch (which exposes the free sulfur groups left on the patch) and press it to the glue spot - you've now made millions of chemical bonds between the patch and the glue spot. It's not really glued, though - the patch-"glue"-tire system is now one single molecule all chemically bound together.

The chemical bond holding things together is why:
  • The tube has to be clean and dry - the sulfur groups reaching out for something to grab onto will grab dirt, water, and other gunk instead of the patch.
  • You can't use duct tape or regular glue - these are sticky substances that don't vulcanize the rubber together. Rubber cement may hold a patch in place but it is NOT the same stuff.
  • Glueless patches kinda suck - the vulcanizing fluid in the little tubes works better at making bonds with the punctured bike tube.
  • You can make patches out of old tubes - at its most basic you're vulcanizing two pieces of rubber together, so two pieces of bike tube will stick to each other.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 11-19-20, 09:20 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I haven't had a flat in over a year now. (Knock on wood). Sometime in the past about six or seven years ago I encountered the crappy Chinese tubes that split apart around the valve. Since then, I've been much more discriminating about my tube purchases. I've had good results with "thorn proof" tubes in 27" & 700c sizes. I like the Goodyear "heavy duty" tubes for my 26" wheels. Michelin & Continental make very good bike tire tubes. I've also discovered orange and red plastic rim strip tape made by FSA and, in wide sizes 17mm & larger. The new plastic rim tape has made a big impact on my bike tire durability. (I've given up on Velox tape). I hope all your rides are pleasant & you never get a flat tire. Be good. Have fun.
Old 11-19-20, 10:16 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Jicafold , to me it’s all location, location, location... as to whether it’s worth patching or it’s not. Unless it’s a locale completely away from seams, valve, etc, it’s not worth it and a new tube carefully installed is the way to go.

I agree that prices for tubes are, shall we say, out of order. Not by a ton, but by a consistently disconcerting amount over the last couple of years- so yes, pre-COVID-19, IMHO. Nothing to be done other than some sort of bulk order, I guess.

For those of us who have a family of bikes with 3 or 4 different sizes, keeping a stock of ready tubes on hand these days does kinda suck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.