Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

MTB rear rack?

Old 01-23-21, 09:30 AM
Rhyagelle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
MTB rear rack?

Hello,

So, my recent bike purchase has been going strong, despite a few hiccups—namely, a set of fenders I bought snapped and got caught in the wheel, which nearly killed me—but the horrific crash did nothing more than bend the derailleur hanger (thankfully people here told me to buy a backup). While I'm recovering from said crash, I'm looking to get a rear rack that'll work on my bike and will support a large crate zip tied to it. I've already bought and returned two from Amazon, because they didn't come with instructions and the pieces were horribly disfigured and misaligned. Why, one of the most crucial pieces of the sets were completely unusable. So I really don't want to keep wasting time and money on it, so maybe someone here will have a suggestion that'll work on my bike? I'd prefer it to have the design that doesn't attach to the seat post, but at this point, I'm desperate just to get a good rack that actually installs on my bike.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Bike: Polygon Cascade 4 (2020)
Previous racks: Garneck Carrier Mountain Universaland Generies Universal

Thanks!

Last edited by Rhyagelle; 01-23-21 at 09:43 AM. Reason: links
Old 01-23-21, 10:01 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
The racks you link to appear to be for frames without threaded dropout mounting points. Your frame appears to have the proper points of mounting at the dropouts and seatstays. I would suggest a more established brand such as Planet Bike, Blackburn, Racktime, or Tubus. I linked one below (found by poking around your provided Amazon links) but plenty of other options and price ranges can be found. Although I run Racktime or Tubus racks, they are pricey. Racktime is essentially the “bargain” Tubus line. Racktime makes a system with the Snapit quick release system for top mounting of things like a crate.

Planet Bike KOKO

The KOKO has round rods for attachment, something I find makes for a more secure mount to the frame, compared to flat steel of lesser quality racks.
Likes For But its me:
Old 01-23-21, 10:17 AM
Rhyagelle

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hello,

Thank you for the help, been looking for rear racks since I got the bike and it's been quite stressful. As for price, I don't mind paying good money for the product so long as it installs and meets my needs. I'll be commuting with it to work and other such places for the unknown future, so durability/quality would need to be high. Which Racktime would you personally suggest, as well as Tubus?

That KOKO looks perfect for the crate I have, awesome! Just checked out their website too, and they've got different color options, so that's a plus!
Old 01-23-21, 10:46 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Above suggestions are good. I've used this type of seat post clamp to attach the stays. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Be sure to get a rack that works with disc brakes.
Old 01-23-21, 11:05 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhyagelle
Hello,

Thank you for the help, been looking for rear racks since I got the bike and it's been quite stressful. As for price, I don't mind paying good money for the product so long as it installs and meets my needs. I'll be commuting with it to work and other such places for the unknown future, so durability/quality would need to be high. Which Racktime would you personally suggest, as well as Tubus?

That KOKO looks perfect for the crate I have, awesome! Just checked out their website too, and they've got different color options, so that's a plus!
If you are looking at Racktime or Tubus and since you want to put a basket on the rack, I’d suggest a touring style rack from either company. The touring racks have wider decks that will support a basket better. Something like the Racktime ECO tour or Tubus Cargo Classic would be best. The Cargo Classic has one of the widest decks around.

Both of these racks have the best attachment I’ve ever used on a rack. Take a look at the way the upper stays attach to the rack on both of these rack. The attachment allows for a lot more adjustment then most other racks. That makes them much easier to mount than most racks.

You can also make your life easier if you get a basket adapter from Ortlieb. You’ll actually need two parts: the basket adapter and a rack adapter. This allows you to remove the basket if you don’t want to carry it around as well as mount panniers on the adapter if you need more space. I use a rack bag that I’ve adapted to using these two parts which gives you another option if you occasionally want something less bulky than a basket. Here’s what mine looks like.

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-23-21, 11:11 AM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
I use this one. It will work with the mounting points on your Polygon. An added bonus is that the solid panel on the top works like a fender to keep muck off your stuff and your butt.

Last edited by JW in AK; 01-23-21 at 11:18 AM. Reason: corrected link
Likes For JW in AK:
Old 01-23-21, 12:10 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Slightly OT, but why don't some of the independent framebuilders make racks? Or maybe they do and I'm just not aware of them. Granted, it is a small market, but there are a lot of posts/threads here bemoaning the quality (or lack thereof) and unsuitability of available racks.
Old 01-23-21, 12:15 PM
Rhyagelle

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks so much guys! Issue now is....where do I purchase them online? Perhaps I'm not realizing something quite obvious on the websites, but there's no buy option.
Old 01-23-21, 12:22 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Thanks so much guys! Issue now is....where do I purchase them online? Perhaps I'm not realizing something quite obvious on the websites, but there's no buy option.
The links I provided were just for information. Do a Google search for either rack and you’ll find them. You can even order Tubus from your local shop if they have a J&B Importers account.

You can order the adapters I linked to directly from OrtliebUSA.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-23-21, 12:25 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I understand you want to buy online. Is there any reason you have not checked for racks with your local bike shop? Sometimes fitting a rack can be problematic, especially on smaller frames, and a bike shop may be able to get you the right rack that will fit properly and therefore avoid having to return something that does not fit. The reason I ask it seems you are not concerned all that much about the price, and you have already invested time and money without getting good results. Why not check your LBS?
Old 01-23-21, 12:30 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
The rack may be shorter than the crate, so you may want to add something hanging out the back, to support the back of the crate, depending how much weight you put in it. I have one where I used lightweight supports from a broken tent, to support back of the crate. These were secured in a V shape, which also stopped the back of the crate tipping sideways.

If you are creative, you could make your own rack.
Old 01-23-21, 01:04 PM
Rhyagelle

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
There are no local bike shops near me, unfortunately. I live in a small wooded country area of KY. The nearest shop is several counties away and they don't do shipping either, plus I have no way of getting there. Online and shipping is the only way I can get a lot of things to where I live. And a quick google mostly only comes up with foreign, over seas websites. I'll keep looking!
Likes For Rhyagelle:
Old 01-23-21, 02:46 PM
cyccommute 

There are no local bike shops near me, unfortunately. I live in a small wooded country area of KY. The nearest shop is several counties away and they don't do shipping either, plus I have no way of getting there. Online and shipping is the only way I can get a lot of things to where I live. And a quick google mostly only comes up with foreign, over seas websites. I'll keep looking!
Planet Cyclery in Brookfield, Co has the Racktime Standit. You can also get the Eco from Amazon, although it does come from Spain. You can also order some Tubus racks from Ortlieb USA. They have a Cargo Evo for $100. The Evo is only slightly different from the Cargo Classic. You can also order the K.O.K.O. from Planet Bike for about $40. It’s as good quality as the Racktime. It doesn’t have the large square deck of the Tubus Cargo but it’s not a bad rack either.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-23-21, 03:19 PM
Rhyagelle

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Wow, thank you so much for the links cyccommute ! I was just gonna order the K.O.K.O from their website because I was having trouble actually finding the others. I think I'll go with the Cargo EVO, looks like a really solid product! Thanks again for the awesome help guys! Now I'm off to buy myself a rear rack!
Old 01-23-21, 03:34 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Tubus is the best, but if you don't want to pay for the best, the Topeak Explorer is very good for the price. I think for your bike you need the one for disc brakes (google "topeak explorer disc") that has little stand-offs so the rack strut clears the disc brake calipers.
Old 01-23-21, 03:38 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Wow, thank you so much for the links cyccommute ! I was just gonna order the K.O.K.O from their website because I was having trouble actually finding the others. I think I'll go with the Cargo EVO, looks like a really solid product! Thanks again for the awesome help guys! Now I'm off to buy myself a rear rack!
Tubus Cargo Evo comes in 2 sizes - I'm pretty sure you need the bigger one (28" not 26").
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-23-21, 04:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
I haven't heard of any of that stuff so it is a good sign to avoid.

I think the rack that will fit your needs well is Racktime. They are owned by Tubus but are using aluminum instead of steel (but are plenty strong) but more importantly they have loads of accessories that slide in and out very easily so instead of using zipties you can securely add different things to your rack for different purposes or say you are like me and need to go get groceries, you can use one of the baskets and load it up carrying what you can actually take on the bike rather than guessing and trying to take too much (which I have done many many times)

The rack that will probably fit best for you would be the TourIt or AddIt. Also probably something like the BoxIt or BaskIt would be a good accessory.

Avoid the junk on the internet, it is an easy trap to fall down but there is no mistaking quality and support behind it. Anytime I have had a Racktime problem which is rare (but we buy in massive quantities and use a lot of their racks often along with bags and baskets) I have easy support through their U.S. distributor JBI.bike so I will get a credit or have them send a new one easy peasy.
Old 01-23-21, 07:38 PM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
Issue now is....where do I purchase them online?
Sorry dude, just noticed when I checked back on my link that it seems like the rack I suggested may have been discontinued as Trek shows it as 2012-2019. If that model appeals to you, it looks like it's available from Bike America for $45. You might have to call them since their website shows it as in stock but there's no Add to Cart button. The negative reviews seem to be the result of operator error as I found this rack to be very easy to fit and swap between both of my bikes (26" MTB and 27.5" gravel).
Likes For JW in AK: