Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Warranty Experiences?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 01:04 PM
Nizzle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Hi all,

I've had a 2015 Giant Roam 2 for 6 years. LOVE the bike. As bad luck would have it - I recently upgraded my wheels(Handspun Quality Wheels) and Tires(WTB VentureSG2) for tubeless use. Rode them for 1 week and then - Cracked chainstay. I went directly to my LBS and they took possession of the bike, they took pics and emailed Giant(I presume their rep). It's been 5 days of radio silence. Can anyone chime in with their experiences with Giant and their Warranty? I know inventory is tight these day and I've already bought a beater('94 Gary Fisher Aquila) in anticipation for a long wait. Any advice/ thoughts are appreciated.

best!

-t
Old 02-10-21, 02:58 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
IF it helps at all, here's a prior posting of a Giant bike (Escape) that had its frame crack. You can check out how Giant resolved this for him:

Giant Escape Warranty click here

That is a real bummer though for a 6 year young bike to crack it's chainstay. Hope it gets resolved, but yea, maybe a very long wait. Hopefully not.
Old 02-11-21, 07:13 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Much of your experience will be determined by your local bike shop. I had a bottom bracket issue and a freehub issue with a 2018 Roam I once owned and the bike shop and Giant were very good about it. The bike shop removed/greased/re-torqued the bottom bracket and that fixed the noise, and Giant just sent them an entirely new rear wheel instead of paying the labor to replace just the freehub. I understand Giant is usually pretty good about warranty claims. I hope they make right by you!
Old 02-11-21, 09:12 PM
Nizzle

UPDATE! After not hearing from Giant nor my LBS for a week, I decided to try and find the West Coast Rep and call on the phone. I found a name(not the Rep) and blindly called and explained how it's been some time with no response from Giant nor my LBS and I was feeling a bit "in the dark". The guy was apologetic and said he'd find out what's what. 10 mins later I get a call back to find out Giant is honoring the warranty and had already set out a replacement frame 2 days ago, but my LBS nor I was notified. The frame comes in tomorrow. Let's pray it's not a bright Red frame, but rather the black one. Very pleased. In the end Giant WAS on the ball and shipped out a replacement very quickly. The only issue was their inability to communicate it to my LBS nor end user(me). I'm really pleased. It was awkward blindly calling a Giant Rep, but it just goes to show "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". I'll circle back with how much $$ the LBS charges me to do the frame swap. It's a great ma and pa shop. I should be fine. We'll see.
Likes For Nizzle:
Old 02-12-21, 07:38 AM
hokiefyd 

If I'm not mistaken, the labor to swap the parts to the new frame should be billed to Giant as part of the warranty claim.
Old 02-12-21, 07:44 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
If I'm not mistaken, the labor to swap the parts to the new frame should be billed to Giant as part of the warranty claim.
At least back when I worked in U.S. bike stores (1980s and 1990s), all of the brands I was familiar with offered lifetime frame warranties and one-year parts warranties, with labor included only for the first year.
Old 02-12-21, 09:24 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Trakhak
At least back when I worked in U.S. bike stores (1980s and 1990s), all of the brands I was familiar with offered lifetime frame warranties and one-year parts warranties, with labor included only for the first year.
Thanks for the clarification on that. I figured the 1-year labor warranty was sort of tied to the 1-year parts warranty, and the owner wouldn't have two pay for labor on a broken frame, but perhaps not.
Old 02-12-21, 01:47 PM
Nizzle

As per the Giant Warranty disclaimer - Labor is not included.
Likes For Nizzle:
Old 02-17-21, 07:33 PM
Nizzle

Update.
Old 02-17-21, 07:34 PM
Nizzle

Coming
Old 02-17-21, 07:34 PM
Nizzle

In a moment...
Old 02-17-21, 07:37 PM
Nizzle

I got my bike back today. Went from a 2015 Roam frame to 2020 Roam frame. This whole episode took 12 days to resolve from the frame break to frame swap. LBS charged $100 for the swap, which is fine for me. I'm pleased. Feels like I've got a new bike. Onward!
Likes For Nizzle:
Old 02-18-21, 08:08 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Wow, that is awesome! I would not have thought Giant would have resolved this so quickly and for your older frame.

FYI, $100 is cheap, especially considering the LBS essentially checked all parts, re-lubed, and torqued.

You really made out on this. Nice color too!
Likes For travbikeman: