Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Surly Sunrise Bars

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Surly Sunrise Bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 08:39 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Surly Sunrise Bars

Any experience with these. They are SUPER wide but i can be cut down. They look great and would give a nice rise for a project im working on.

The only gripe i have is the crossbar. It looks to be about 16mm. This seems way too small for mounting things on like lights, bell, camera, etc. Wish it was the same size tubing as the rest of it. Maybe the best question to ask is, what is the best way to shim down to 16mm or smaller on most standard mounts? Although this crossbar will look dumb with stuff mounted to it, id the like option if i am caught out at night etc.

Last edited by scale; 03-10-21 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-11-21, 12:28 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Rather than shimming down using rubber or something, which may not be stable enough for things like cameras, the first choice is finding a local machine shop that can turn and then split nylon bar to suit your needs. Another option is to get them to braze on some lugs for you to mount stuff, or even to remove and braze on a suitably thick cross bar. On a quiet day take your bar and a selection of typical accessories down to a machine shop and discuss it.
Old 03-11-21, 06:47 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I don't have experience with either the Surly bar or this one but another option, though currently out of stock, is the Velo Orange Klunker bar. I don't know the diameter of the crossbar on it. It states that BMX crash pads work on it, so I imagine it's something like 16mm like the Sunrise bar.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ru-klunker-680
Old 03-11-21, 08:02 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Great bar, definitely needed to be cut down a bit. I clamp my light upside-down to the lower portion of the bar, next to the stem. If I used a bell, I'd mount it by the brake lever. My phone stays in my pocket.

Last edited by Rolla; 03-11-21 at 09:55 PM.