Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

advice between MF-TZ30 vs MF-HG40

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-17-21, 11:02 PM
first trip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

HI i m building an electric bike and i must go from 7 speed to 6 speed because the motor takes too much space. i need megarange

i m thinking about alivio since it looks like a good quality price . what is the difference between MF-TZ30 vs MF-HG40?
if there is a 6 speed freewheel on aliexpress of a bit better quality could you also show it to me?

tx

Last edited by first trip; 03-17-21 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-18-21, 11:58 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
AliExpress is not a place for quality but freewheels are not really quality items anymore now that we have cassettes which are much better. The only quality freewheels these days are either NOS (or restored by someone like pastorbobnlnh ) or from IRD but I don't think any of them are really designed to handle the torque of a hub drive.
Old 03-18-21, 02:26 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
AliExpress is not a place for quality but freewheels are not really quality items anymore now that we have cassettes which are much better. The only quality freewheels these days are either NOS (or restored by someone like pastorbobnlnh ) or from IRD but I don't think any of them are really designed to handle the torque of a hub drive.
A hub motor exerts no extra force on the rest of the drivetrain. One of its advantages over a mid drive setup
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-18-21, 02:50 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
The TZ-30 is the lowest level.
IF you can find them in 2 different tooth counts, you might buy 1 ea. and see what works best.
Old 03-18-21, 09:09 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by first trip
HI i m building an electric bike and i must go from 7 speed to 6 speed because the motor takes too much space.

tx
the 7 speed freewheel is barely ~3mm thicker than the 6 speed.
Old 03-18-21, 09:52 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
The MF-TZ30 is the lowest level. MF-HG40 is slightly better but in practice there's little difference. Either will last many thousands of miles unless you intend to ride the bike stomping on the pedals all the live long day. Since it's an E-bike I don't think that's what you intend to do.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-19-21, 05:20 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
You might also consider a standard 6-speed freewheel (vs. the MegaRange one). With the torque of an e-bike motor, you may not find that you need the super low drivetrain ratios.
Old 03-19-21, 07:00 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
You might also consider a standard 6-speed freewheel (vs. the MegaRange one). With the torque of an e-bike motor, you may not find that you need the super low drivetrain ratios.
I was thinking the same thing
Old 03-20-21, 09:30 AM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
what would be the advantage of getting a non megarenge? on see only benifit from having the possibility of going slower stronger.
tx
Old 03-21-21, 01:00 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by first trip
what would be the advantage of getting a non megarenge? on see only benifit from having the possibility of going slower stronger.
tx
There are a few mechanical advantages. One is a smoother transition from the largest sprocket to the next smallest. The MegaRange freewheel has a 14-16-18-21-24-34 tooth count; that's 10-tooth gap between the largest and next is pretty big. A regular model has a 14-16-18-21-24-28 tooth count, meaning the shift to the largest will be much smoother. Additionally, you can typically get crisper and smoother rear shifting when the jockey wheel on the derailleur is closer to the sprockets. With such a large sprocket on the Megarange model, your derailleur will have to be adjusted so that it doesn't track very closely in the middle of the freewheel's range.

The super low ratios generally aren't as useful with e-bikes since the motor can assist with getting you started. Of course, I'm not saying there isn't a scenario where it wouldn't be useful, but those situations are generally fewer and farther between with e-bikes.
Old 03-22-21, 08:30 PM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are a few mechanical advantages. One is a smoother transition from the largest sprocket to the next smallest. The MegaRange freewheel has a 14-16-18-21-24-34 tooth count; that's 10-tooth gap between the largest and next is pretty big. A regular model has a 14-16-18-21-24-28 tooth count, meaning the shift to the largest will be much smoother. Additionally, you can typically get crisper and smoother rear shifting when the jockey wheel on the derailleur is closer to the sprockets. With such a large sprocket on the Megarange model, your derailleur will have to be adjusted so that it doesn't track very closely in the middle of the freewheel's range.

The super low ratios generally aren't as useful with e-bikes since the motor can assist with getting you started. Of course, I'm not saying there isn't a scenario where it wouldn't be useful, but those situations are generally fewer and farther between with e-bikes.
ok tx for the clarification .
even if it will have a hub motor, i , ll only use it to go up hills so not so often . At least that is the limit i give myself.