Go Back  Bike Forums > The Market Place > For Sale
Reload this Page >

1978 Raleigh Professional, Mark V For Sale

Search
Notices
For Sale Items for sale, bicycle and cycling related items only, please! Requires upgraded Membership to post new threads. This forum is intended for individual members to sell their bikes and bike related gear, and not for commercial ventures or company sales. Prices must be quoted up front, we are not an auction site, and do not link to your ebay auctions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 09:48 AM
Pacme74 

Bikes: 2020 Surly Long Haul Trucker, Marin Larkspur, Motobecane 1981, Raleigh vintage road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

For sale: 1978 Raleigh Professional Mark V
seat tube: 59 cm C-T (23.25")
top tube: 57 cm C-C (22.5")

Sheldon Brown has a description of the Professionals from the era here and has a 1978 catalogue here. A more detailed page with extra discussion of the Mark V models from On The Drops is here, including frame detail images that I've replicated for this one. Frame has Haden sovereign lugs, wrap-around seat stays with oversized caps, brazed on cable guides on top of BB, chrome Campagnolo dropouts, and minor-but-worthy patina.

Serial from BB puts production in September 1978 from the Worksop production facility (WM8...). There are no decals.

When I acquired this bike, she was in need of a deep clean but was otherwise in great working order. I replaced cables, housing, pedals, bars, and levers for my comfort. Included are also the original pedals, drops, and levers with new hood covers (first round of cleaning and updating got her in shape with the old school drops). The frame is too big for me and I've decided to stop fooling myself and ride bikes sized for me (I'm 5'9). The following are details of-note:

Cockpit:
new Nitto Noodle drops
new Tektro RL-340 levers
new Tektro RL-720 cross-levers
Suntour friction barend shifters
new grip tape
Also: original Cinelli Criterium drops with Superbe levers and new Campy-Style hoods

Components:
Crankset: Sugino Mighty Compe 52 / 47 165
Rear derailleur: SunTour V GT
Front and rear brake: Universal Model 77 calipers

Wheels:
rims made in Japan (not sure make)
new Continental SuperSport Plus (1-1/8) tires
new tubes
new rim tape

$650
Pick up in SF Bay Area OR drop off to your pre-arranged lbs (within 15 miles and no bridges) for packing/shipping.

Here is a link to the Craigslist ad that has more images: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...301671456.html