Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Steelhead vs Carrera

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Steelhead vs Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20, 06:54 AM
PaMTBRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steelhead vs Carrera

We are thinking about getting another tandem and are considering a Co-motion Steelhead or Carrera.
A little bit about us. We don't currently have a tandem but have owned a Cannondale and a Co-Motion Speedster in the past. We did some supported tandem touring (Ericksen Cycle Tours) and really enjoyed weekend tandem rallies. We both have several single bikes and enjoy both paved and gravel riding. All of our tandem experience was paved riding. We sold our Co-motion 5-6 years ago because it wasn't getting as much use, and needed a lot of component upgrade / replacement.

We don't think we want to use a new tandem on gravel, mainly as a paved road machine. If we would go with a Steelhead and a second set of wheels would we be giving up much performance on road compared to a Carrera. We are in our mid 50's and still like spirited riding, but certainly not racing. The Steelhead would give us the option for gravel if we would change our mind down the road, I just don't want to compromise too much on road performance. Thoughts?
Old 06-21-20, 07:03 PM
tandem rider

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Compare the geometry tables of the Steelhead and Carrera. I think you will notice the Carrera has faster handling and a
shorter wheelbase. I have an 2018 Carrera and think the Rolf wheels roll with less resistance. Co-Motion is good about advice on the difference between about their tandem models, give them a call and see what they say. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.
Likes For tandem rider:
Old 06-22-20, 07:27 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
The other option might be to go with the Kalapuya and it's aluminum frame. It would give you lighter weight then the Steelhead but a similar set-up with both 29 and 700c wheels. One other possibility with the Carrera is to purchase a set of 650B wheels which would give you the ability to go with closer to gravel width tire on the 650 diameter. Welcome back to tandem world! :-)
https://co-motion.com/collections/ta...versary-tandem
Likes For Paul J:
Old 06-22-20, 05:07 PM
PaMTBRider

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought about the Kalapuya but hadn't thought about a Carrera with a 650b wheelset. You are supposed to make this easier not harder.