Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Transporting a tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Transporting a tandem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-20, 08:58 AM
frankandbetsy@s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Transporting a tandem

I have a pick up with 6' bed. Is to possible to transport a tandem bike in the bed with a cap. Maybe it would be better to build a receiver rack. Thoughts? Pictures?
Old 07-06-20, 11:23 PM
bazil4696
Bike Doctor

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
I've heard a tandem will fit corner to corner with the forks cranked hard into the tailgate and the cap window left open for the bars. Just a rumour, as I've never done it.
Old 07-06-20, 11:47 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Don’t see why you couldn’t, especially if you take off the front wheel or turn the handlebars sideways. Seems like it would be easy enough to just lay down on its side with some padding, or go the fancy route with a truck bed mounted fork rack.

Old 07-07-20, 07:08 AM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bazil4696
I've heard a tandem will fit corner to corner with the forks cranked hard into the tailgate and the cap window left open for the bars. Just a rumour, as I've never done it.
That could work since it would allow me to close the tailgate and put other stuff in. Wouldn't be optimal in rain
Old 07-07-20, 07:16 AM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a truck fork mount gadget. I was thinking mount it to a plank with something for the back wheel. Then slide it in the bed rear wheel aft or if I needed the bed slide it onto the roof racks. I don't have the bike yet so just guessing at this point. Sure I can just lay it down in the bed for short drives but that is a last resort.
Old 07-07-20, 08:42 AM
bikefriday

Bikes: 1989 Specialized Allez Pro, 2007 Specialized S Works E5, 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Transporting a Tandem

I'd suggest you check out the Tandem Geek posts about his truck setup. Go to his web site here: https://tandemgeek.wordpress.com/, then scroll down to find the post labelled: Getting Ready for Our Trip. He has a few tips and suggestions he used while prepping his new pickup truck.
Old 07-07-20, 10:19 AM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I checked it out and I can easily build something like that. Thanks
Old 08-10-20, 02:49 AM
PaulGrun

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I'm not allowed to post pictures yet, so I'll just describe what we've been doing for years. We have a full-size GMC half ton Sierra with extended cab and a Leer topper (flush with the roof of the truck.) Long ago, I began constructing a series of "pallets" for our various bikes. They are simple gadgets really, a piece of plywood about a foot wide and six or so feet long. At one end there is a fork mount bolted to a block of wood about 6" high to give clearance for the captain's bottom bracket, and a couple of strips of wood on the other parallel to the length of the pallet to form a slot for the rear wheel. You can make these things as simple or snazzy as suits your style.
When leaving home, I slide it out of the back of the truck leaving the back end (where the rear wheel goes) on the edge of the tailgate and the front end (fork mount) on the ground. It's a simple matter to roll the bike up the "ramp", back end first, reach down to release the quick release and lock the fork into the fork mount. Once secure, I lift the front end of the bike by the handle bars and slide it into the truck bed, angled from front left corner to rear right corner. It fits easily in our truck. The stoker's saddle is probably 1/2" too high to fit through the opening, but it's a simple matter to tip the whole thing sideways to clear the opening. Once inside, it sits upright. To keep the bike and its pallet in place, I loop a strap around the stem, attaching the ends to a pair of hooks on either side of the truck bed.
It's a whole bunch simpler than this contused explanation. Wish I could post a picture ... it's very simple.
I've built a few of these things over the years - one that accommodated a pair of Bike Friday tandems facing opposite directions on a single double wide pallet. For that one I had to turn the front forks backwards, but it slid straight into the truck bed.
Likes For PaulGrun:
Old 08-10-20, 12:38 PM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulGrun
I'm not allowed to post pictures yet, so I'll just describe what we've been doing for years. We have a full-size GMC half ton Sierra with extended cab and a Leer topper (flush with the roof of the truck.) Long ago, I began constructing a series of "pallets" for our various bikes. They are simple gadgets really, a piece of plywood about a foot wide and six or so feet long. At one end there is a fork mount bolted to a block of wood about 6" high to give clearance for the captain's bottom bracket, and a couple of strips of wood on the other parallel to the length of the pallet to form a slot for the rear wheel. You can make these things as simple or snazzy as suits your style.
When leaving home, I slide it out of the back of the truck leaving the back end (where the rear wheel goes) on the edge of the tailgate and the front end (fork mount) on the ground. It's a simple matter to roll the bike up the "ramp", back end first, reach down to release the quick release and lock the fork into the fork mount. Once secure, I lift the front end of the bike by the handle bars and slide it into the truck bed, angled from front left corner to rear right corner. It fits easily in our truck. The stoker's saddle is probably 1/2" too high to fit through the opening, but it's a simple matter to tip the whole thing sideways to clear the opening. Once inside, it sits upright. To keep the bike and its pallet in place, I loop a strap around the stem, attaching the ends to a pair of hooks on either side of the truck bed.
It's a whole bunch simpler than this contused explanation. Wish I could post a picture ... it's very simple.
I've built a few of these things over the years - one that accommodated a pair of Bike Friday tandems facing opposite directions on a single double wide pallet. For that one I had to turn the front forks backwards, but it slid straight into the truck bed.
Im putting one of these together now. For the back wheel I'm mounting a piece of wood for one side of the wheel the other piece doesn't get attached to the base. 2 carriage bolts with wing nut and pinch the tire to hold it.
Old 08-10-20, 12:39 PM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Don't know why I quoted your post just trying to respond
Old 08-10-20, 04:46 PM
PaulGrun

Cool! Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you.
Based on my experience using this in the back of a enclosed pickup bed, I haven't had a need to more rigidly attach the rear wheel. Just have the rear wheel sit in a slot in order to keep the bike centered on the pallet has been more than enough in our case.
Likes For PaulGrun:
Old 08-10-20, 05:05 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I think you've already figured out a solution, but I thought I would pass on my experience. I have a 5ft 6inch truck bed with cap, and an mtb hardtail tandem (long wheel base). I take off both front and rear wheels, and place the frame in, corner to corner. Bungee cords to keep it from flopping around. It works.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 08-10-20, 05:44 PM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well I have a 6' bed Colorado with a low profile cap I figured it I have to tilt it to get it in it might be easier. I'm also thinking I might figure out some way to hang the whole thing in the garage
Old 08-11-20, 06:56 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by frankandbetsy@s
Well I have a 6' bed Colorado with a low profile cap I figured it I have to tilt it to get it in it might be easier. I'm also thinking I might figure out some way to hang the whole thing in the garage
I purchased brackets to mount our tandems on the wall of our garage we one of them above the opening car door.

Likes For Paul J:
Old 08-11-20, 07:13 AM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wish I could see the walls in my garage. Going to try and hang mine from the center beam
Old 08-11-20, 08:27 AM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Check Amazon and I think you will find racks with long-handled cranks that will let you easily raise and lower the tandem from the beam. Is that what you have in mind?
Old 08-11-20, 08:37 AM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro00
Check Amazon and I think you will find racks with long-handled cranks that will let you easily raise and lower the tandem from the beam. Is that what you have in mind?
I was thinking hanging it vertical rear wheel down so it won't be to far off the floor. I'm thinking stand it up on the back wheel then maybe a short pully lift and tie it to a boat cleat
Old 08-11-20, 01:26 PM
PaulGrun

I was going to send you a link to the simple gadget we use to hang tandems from the ceiling, but as usual, Bike Forums decided I couldn't do that. It's a simple pulley system that works very well. It's not exactly what you're describing (hang the tandem vertically by the rear wheel) but worth a look. Google "RAD bicycle hoist". There are several products like this on the market. Simple and straightforward.
Old 08-11-20, 02:28 PM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

just fits. It fits without rotating the forks as well but flipping the forks works like a brace in the front. Bungee the back wheel to the side and it's very stable. Didn't need the back mount I thought I would make. This will work for now
Old 08-28-20, 09:38 AM
quemazon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My tandem fits fine on a standard rear rack. If I'm driving through light traffic, I usually leave the wheels on. If I'm going through moderate traffic, I'll remove the front wheel. If I'm going on a road trip at freeway speeds, I'll usually remove both front and rear wheels. In that configuration it's very secure and doesn't stick out from either side of the vehicle. It's a simple solution, and I already had the rack.