Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Step into the Opinion Ring: Liv Sedona vs Cannondale Quick 4

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-21, 10:48 AM
Scubaquarius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Would appreciate your opinions on the Liv Sedona vs. Cannondale Quick 4. They are pretty similar bikes to my eyes.
The Liv Sedona has 16 gears and disc brakes. The Cannondale Quick 4 has 9 gears and disc brakes. Liv Sedona sells for $600.00.
Cannondale Quick 4 sells for more, $875.00.

Are the Cannondale bikes that much better? Anyone with opinions or experience with these particular bikes?

Thanks for your input,
Scubaquarius
Old 02-13-21, 11:35 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
The following is my opinion, and just an opinion. You as the buyer will need to choose which suits your needs and wants more than my opinion.

Sedona - Heavier more (actually very) upright bike designed primarily for comfort where the rider has a very easy line of site. Basic drivetrain and braking system. Great bike for just taking life easy and not in a rush to get to destinations. More for someone whom just wants to enjoy being outdoors without having to worry about setting up the bike to be more comfortable on the road or paths. Comfort can be seen by the very cushioned saddle, very squishy suspension, ease of getting onto the bike and ease of reaching the handlebars. Typical riders on these bikes are not going to use the full 16 gears since most often are not going up and down hills or have a desire to go fast enough to use them. Most likely will only use only one of the chainrings up front and various gears on cassette. Essentially making it a 1x8 gear system.

Cannondale Quick 4 - Still a more upright bike than other road racing bikes, but is more of a sportier style to it. Bike is lighter, easier to use derailleur system (and a newer system) with better and stronger hydraulic brakes. With these positives comes a bike that is more fun to ride, agile and can be ridden quick, (pardon the pun).

All n all, both are nice bikes, you just need to decide which is for you. Happy shopping!

Last edited by travbikeman; 02-13-21 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-13-21, 01:08 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Tire size, width, max. psi - My thinking was "wrong"I always had this line of thought in my mind that thin width tires with high PSI provided the least resistance to pedaling. After researching this - it's just
not true. Goes against all my intuition.
I recently purchased a Sedona with Giant GX Disc rims and Kenda K892, 26 X 2.3, multi-surface tires (max. PSI = 50). Before doing research, I thought
I could reduce pedaling resistance by upgrading to similar "road" tires (I only do road biking) with a higher PSI, maybe 85 or 90.
But all the research suggest this is incorrect and I may as well just keep the original tires and enjoy the ride.

What a shock to my intuition !
Any thoughts or advice... thanks Scubaquarius

Are you thinking of returning the Sedona?
Old 02-13-21, 01:18 PM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by freeranger
Tire size, width, max. psi - My thinking was "wrong"I always had this line of thought in my mind that thin width tires with high PSI provided the least resistance to pedaling. After researching this - it's just
not true. Goes against all my intuition.
I recently purchased a Sedona with Giant GX Disc rims and Kenda K892, 26 X 2.3, multi-surface tires (max. PSI = 50). Before doing research, I thought
I could reduce pedaling resistance by upgrading to similar "road" tires (I only do road biking) with a higher PSI, maybe 85 or 90.
But all the research suggest this is incorrect and I may as well just keep the original tires and enjoy the ride.

What a shock to my intuition !
Any thoughts or advice... thanks Scubaquarius

Are you thinking of returning the Sedona?
Yes, I have an option to return at my lbs. Thinking of trading for a Cannondale Quick 4 and paying the 200.00 or so price difference.

Thanks for your response,
Scubaquarius
Old 02-13-21, 01:22 PM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by travbikeman
The following is my opinion, and just an opinion. You as the buyer will need to choose which suits your needs and wants more than my opinion.

Sedona - Heavier more (actually very) upright bike designed primarily for comfort where the rider has a very easy line of site. Basic drivetrain and braking system. Great bike for just taking life easy and not in a rush to get to destinations. More for someone whom just wants to enjoy being outdoors without having to worry about setting up the bike to be more comfortable on the road or paths. Comfort can be seen by the very cushioned saddle, very squishy suspension, ease of getting onto the bike and ease of reaching the handlebars. Typical riders on these bikes are not going to use the full 16 gears since most often are not going up and down hills or have a desire to go fast enough to use them. Most likely will only use only one of the chainrings up front and various gears on cassette. Essentially making it a 1x8 gear system.

Cannondale Quick 4 - Still a more upright bike than other road racing bikes, but is more of a sportier style to it. Bike is lighter, easier to use derailleur system (and a newer system) with better and stronger hydraulic brakes. With these positives comes a bike that is more fun to ride, agile and can be ridden quick, (pardon the pun).

All n all, both are nice bikes, you just need to decide which is for you. Happy shopping!
You are correct sir! The Sedona weighs 46 pounds, the Quick 4 25 lbs.
Also, I never used the 1st 8 gears on the Sedona. Didn't seem to need them. Just used the other 8.
And the Quick 4 comes with 700C tires, something I like.

Thanks so much,
Scubaquarius
Likes For Scubaquarius:
Old 02-13-21, 01:24 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Only you can say and part with come down to your riding style. Although I'm not big on single rings for a general ride bike it is an attractive option since it doesn't require learning the gears all that much, you either like it, shift easier or shift to faster. Not much more to it then that. The hydraulic brakes will be easy to maintain and work consistently and easily, the C-dale will be the lighter of the two bikes. Personally I would like the cannondale better.
Old 02-13-21, 01:39 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I like the Trek FX 3 Disc--have even given thought to buying one myself, but doubt any are available, and my drop bar road bike is still fine with me. Wouldn't mind a hybrid, but don't really need one (but this is BF-need seldom plays a role!). But first you need to decide what type of bike is going to suit you. Comparing a Sedona (comfort bike) to a Quick (fitness bike) is like apples to oranges.
Old 02-13-21, 01:47 PM
Scubaquarius

Thank you everyone for your opinions and insight.... very helpful!

Happy riding,
Scubaquarius