Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Could any of you tell me more about this Dunelt?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 03:16 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts

While picking up another British bicycle I checked out the following Dunelt.

As you can see the drive train was heavily updated. And the frame was repainted by CycleArt.

It’s definitely a looker and unusual. I’m considering buying it but would reverse the changes back to it being period correct. I couldn’t find a serial number.

After I came home I tried to find the Dunelt head badge but haven’t found a match yet.

Last edited by b dub; 04-08-21 at 03:21 PM.
Likes For b dub:
Old 04-08-21, 05:46 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Wow. It could be a circa 1961 Fleur de Lys. Look up the article by Peter Kohler. Or maybe a later Grand Prix but there's differences. Especially the headbadge. Perhaps reach out to Peter?

Last edited by clubman; 04-08-21 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-08-21, 08:32 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
Did you check for a serial # on the left side dropout? It may be a Dunelt Gran Prix, the chrome seat tube panels and Haden Birdmouth lugs sure do look like it. No center pull curved brake bridge, no top tube cable stops, and a different fork crown are the differences I see. It’s not unusual though for Carlton built bikes to vary a bit. It’s also hard to know what was removed from the frame prior to its repaint to better fit its new build. It’s certainly a really nice bike, that much is evident.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 04-08-21 at 08:39 PM.