Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Heavily Worn Front Derailleur

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 07:42 AM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts

So I just bought an old Suntour Vx set for € 30, mainly for the RD. I might want to use the FD too, but the chain has done some pretty nasty looking damage on it (see pic).

What do you think could and should be done here? Should I sand it smooth? Try to find a replacement? Discard it? Use it as is? Thanks for helping out a novice

Old 04-12-21, 07:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
What do you think could and should be done here? Should I sand it smooth? Try to find a replacement? Discard it? Use it as is? Thanks for helping out a novice
You can do any of those things that make you comfortable. I wouldn't even bother trying to sand it smooth. I'd just put it on and use it until it gives me a real reason to not use it.

If it lasts you one season or twenty more riding seasons, then you saved that much wear and tear on the part you'd replace it with.

With the chain and everything else in place, someone will have to look hard to see that little bit of ugliness. Likely that will only be you.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-12-21 at 08:01 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-12-21, 08:02 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
+1 with what Iride01 said. Try it first as is and if it works fine just leave it as is. If you find the chain is getting hung up on the cage then sand the cage smooth. If that doesn't work it's time for a new derailleur.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 04-12-21 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-12-21, 08:53 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
if it works leave it be. Never Fix A Running Piece.
Old 04-12-21, 09:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
One more thought though. And purely speculation, but the excessive wear may have been from the DR not being parallel to the chain and it was leading with the nose whenever it shifted up to the bigger ring. Is there perhaps a little more indication of wear toward the tail end of the outer cage plate?
Old 04-12-21, 12:39 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
One more thought though. And purely speculation, but the excessive wear may have been from the DR not being parallel to the chain and it was leading with the nose whenever it shifted up to the bigger ring. Is there perhaps a little more indication of wear toward the tail end of the outer cage plate?
Or by being poorly adjusted and ridden with the chain rubbing over an extended period.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-15-21, 01:31 AM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Or by being poorly adjusted and ridden with the chain rubbing over an extended period.
This is my best guess how it ended up that way. I have my eyes on a replacement that could be had for less than 10 €, but I think I'll give this a try first, as suggested. I'm not that experienced in (working with) derailleurs, having ridden IGH bikes most of my life.