Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Rear wheels sizes?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Rear wheels sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 05:55 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Rear wheels sizes?

I see trikes, same model, that comes with size options for the rear wheel. Does that mean the rear wheel size is interchangeable? Specifically, I am looking at the HP Gekco US sport model. You can get all 20" or 20" front with a 26" rearl. If i got the 26" rear model could that rear wheel be replaced with a 20"? I have a 20" rear wheel with hubmotor and might want to set it up for e-assist. But then at some point I might want to change to a mid drive and put the 26" rear wheel back on. Is that just a straight swap (other than aligning the chainline for the different cassete/hub combo)?
Old 04-19-24, 06:48 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 183 Posts
It is pretty unlikely the frame is exactly the same for different sized wheels even though the trike has the same model name. If you buy one with a 26" rear wheel and then substitute a 20" wheel you might end up with problems with the RD being too close to the ground. My 20" wheel trike (Greenspeed GTO) uses a Shimano 105 short cage RD while my Catrike 700 uses a long cage RD. Both are the same distance off the ground at the lowest point. You might also affect the handling characteristics when making the switch.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 04-19-24, 10:59 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
It is pretty unlikely the frame is exactly the same for different sized wheels even though the trike has the same model name. If you buy one with a 26" rear wheel and then substitute a 20" wheel you might end up with problems with the RD being too close to the ground. My 20" wheel trike (Greenspeed GTO) uses a Shimano 105 short cage RD while my Catrike 700 uses a long cage RD. Both are the same distance off the ground at the lowest point. You might also affect the handling characteristics when making the switch.
OH okay, just a thought. I'm probably gonna go with the HP Gecko fx20 then....... Some dude crushed my Trident with his huge honking SUV, fortunately he didn't crush me. The only thing about the fx20 I don't love are the vertical handlebars; I really like horizontal ones, but hopefully I'll adjust. Gonna knock the horiz. bar adapters off the Trident and keep 'em, just in case, though. Assuming the steering bars are the same width, I should be able to put them on the Gecko, and move the gripshift and brakes over.