Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Escape from the Jaws of Death.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Escape from the Jaws of Death.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 02:55 PM
bnb69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess you don't get my point. Responsible owners keep their dogs on their own property. You don't do that, therefore you are irresponsible. It doesn't matter who you are buddies with ( the animal control officer ), keep the dog on your property. Small town or not, that person needs to do her job or find employment elsewhere. Apparently if she had, you wouldn't have got bit.
Old 08-30-15, 03:46 PM
RidesaJapanese

Bikes: Takara Deluxe Touring 12 speed, Trek Tracklight 730

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bnb69
I guess you don't get my point. Responsible owners keep their dogs on their own property. You don't do that, therefore you are irresponsible. It doesn't matter who you are buddies with ( the animal control officer ), keep the dog on your property. Small town or not, that person needs to do her job or find employment elsewhere. Apparently if she had, you wouldn't have got bit.
I'm not 'buddies' with her, she is my neighbor and very fond of dogs especially mine. She has moved mountains to improve conditions and find homes for stray and abandoned dogs. There are quite a few dogs here that aren't kept tethered or caged, it's not an issue because they're not vicious dogs. The pit bull wasn't always loose, it was improperly restrained and escaped. Not all dogs, or owners, are the same. Most people want a pit bull because they think it's cool to see it tear into something, now they'll have some board bills to pay and the dog cannot remain here as they were in violation of the pit bull ordinance and it tore into my leg. Pit bulls are just likely to do that, they're bred that way, often they're trained that way, I don't trust or like them. I do know this, if my dog had been with me that day, that dog wouldn't have gotten near me. I don't think I'm above the rules, I just think my dog is.
Old 08-31-15, 08:47 AM
WebFootFreak

Bikes: Modified Denali

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Not always a Pit. My attack was from a German Shepherd/Chow mix. This was back in the 80's and they did nothing until he attacked another kid who ended up worse off than I did.
Old 08-31-15, 04:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Since the OP has already chosen a course of action my only advice would be: Don't try to outrun a dog. In a hasty retreat it's easy to slip and fall and be more vulnerable to a hyper-excitable dog.

When chased by a single dog I'd dismount and keep the bike between the dog and me. Usually easy to do with an unladen bike by grabbing the seat post and handlebar stem. Nudge the mutt a couple of times with a wheel and they tire of the game, especially after bruising their gums on the spokes trying to gnaw their way through. Worst case scenario I'd grab the Zefal pump and swat the mutt. Those long lightweight aluminum tubes had a lot of reach. In a pinch you could even access the pump without dismounting. Never had to hit a dog very hard to discourage them. The time or two I actually swatted a dog with the Zefal pump I never saw it again, or it didn't chase me a second time. Unfortunately the newer micro-pumps wouldn't have enough reach or be very persuasive.

I cycle commuted for years, up to 20 miles a day, and encountered a few aggressive mutts. Pretty quickly I'd learn the habits of the pesky dogs and avoid those routes if possible. It isn't always possible to find another route. If a dog persisted I'd try to contact the owner, but in my experience owners of aggressive dogs don't care - if anything they're proud of their wild beasts. Only thing left to do is contact animal control and the cops and let the authorities handle it. Most cities and suburbs will resolve the problem quickly, but it can take longer in rural areas.
Old 09-07-15, 07:27 AM
RidesaJapanese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Since the OP has already chosen a course of action my only advice would be: Don't try to outrun a dog. In a hasty retreat it's easy to slip and fall and be more vulnerable to a hyper-excitable dog.

When chased by a single dog I'd dismount and keep the bike between the dog and me. Usually easy to do with an unladen bike by grabbing the seat post and handlebar stem. Nudge the mutt a couple of times with a wheel and they tire of the game, especially after bruising their gums on the spokes trying to gnaw their way through. Worst case scenario I'd grab the Zefal pump and swat the mutt. Those long lightweight aluminum tubes had a lot of reach. In a pinch you could even access the pump without dismounting. Never had to hit a dog very hard to discourage them. The time or two I actually swatted a dog with the Zefal pump I never saw it again, or it didn't chase me a second time. Unfortunately the newer micro-pumps wouldn't have enough reach or be very persuasive.

I cycle commuted for years, up to 20 miles a day, and encountered a few aggressive mutts. Pretty quickly I'd learn the habits of the pesky dogs and avoid those routes if possible. It isn't always possible to find another route. If a dog persisted I'd try to contact the owner, but in my experience owners of aggressive dogs don't care - if anything they're proud of their wild beasts. Only thing left to do is contact animal control and the cops and let the authorities handle it. Most cities and suburbs will resolve the problem quickly, but it can take longer in rural areas.
Last night at dusk I had a narrow escape. There is a huge grey mastiff that lives in the front yard at a trailer, tethered in the yard. He always lunges at me, before they kept him tethered he'd rushed several people walking by including myself. This time he jerks awake, when he took off I knew he was going to snap that Dollar store cable and he did. I swerved away and pedaled like mad, he stopped giving chase when I'd left the boundary of his yard, but he was right on me and another dog bite looked highly probable. I now intend also to perhaps avoid certain routes, or maybe find a good anti-dog defensive weapon to carry. There are several other dogs that will chase me when I go by, they seem intent on giving me a bite if the chance should proffer itself. It just seems sad a cyclist cannot ride where he may choose, because people here won't follow the dog law. Or lest I sound like a hypocrite, they won't keep dogs that are worthy of flouting the dog laws.
Old 09-07-15, 08:06 AM
RISKDR1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Start with a small claims lawsuit asking for the max or high dollars for the injury. Immediately see the police, and have a photo of the bite recorded in theit files, or signed and dated as evidence.

The suit isn't about getting money, even though you;re entitled so something for the headache, it's about serving notice that you're serious and will pursue this to the end. Plus, if there are local ordinances, the judge may order him to keep it chained, under penalty of contempt of court.

I'm not a fan of what ifs, as in what if my daughter was there, because what didn't happen didn't happen. But the bite did happen, and in many places this dog would be ordered destroyed if there's a second bite, so the owner needs to take this seriously. Plus after the first bite is properly recorded, it would make it easier to prove owner negligence in the event of a second.

One other benefit of filing the lawsuit, is that he'll probably need to notify his homeowners insurance companym at which they'll put restrictions on him and the dog, or insist on excluding dog bites from his policy.
I was in the insurance business for 38 years. Wrote a lot of home owners insurance. Dog bite claims are the single largest liability claim and are usually policy limit claims. Some HO policies already exclude do bite so the owners may be on their own. That could make a lawsuit non productive because the defendant can declare bankruptcy and there may be no assets to liquidate.
Old 09-07-15, 04:00 PM
Yeehova

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was chased by a dog this morning! Riding with headphones really cuts down on reaction time!
Old 09-07-15, 08:02 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RidesaJapanese
To me a dog is family, far too many of them here live out their lives on a chain or in a kennel, they are never walked or taken anywhere.

Originally Posted by Yeehova
I was chased by a dog this morning! Riding with headphones really cuts down on reaction time!
Another reason to ride w/o earbuds.
Old 09-07-15, 08:24 PM
RidesaJapanese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning I rode my Trek 730 out on the gravel roads to the river to see how high it had gotten from last nights rain. It was a good little ride, had to roll through water in a couple spots, the river was bank full and rising. Anyway on the way there a pair of medium dogs, black short hairs, come up to me at a farm house. They were friendly and curious, I stopped to greet them, and they then tagged along to the river and all the way back to town with me. Once I hit the hard topped roads and could get some speed going they gave up and I presume returned home.
Old 09-08-15, 09:26 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
With how many people get attacked by feral dogs idiot owners abandon, I would say it's never wise to approach any dog you don't know.
Old 10-29-15, 09:58 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKDR1
I was in the insurance business for 38 years. Wrote a lot of home owners insurance. Dog bite claims are the single largest liability claim and are usually policy limit claims. Some HO policies already exclude do bite so the owners may be on their own. That could make a lawsuit non productive because the defendant can declare bankruptcy and there may be no assets to liquidate.
I'm in the insurance claims business and have settled my fair share of dog bite liability claims. There are some carriers that just won't insure a person with specific breeds of dogs - pit bull, Rottweiler, Doberman, German Shepherd, Akita, etc. - due to the experience of dog bite claims with these breeds.

30 yrs of cycling on mostly rural roads and I've had only two instances where I had to dismount and place my bike between myself and a dog (one was a Great Dane and the other a Chow). Because most of the roads I ride regularly I know where the problem dogs are and am prepared if they are out. I've used a variety of tactics to avoid them including water, frame pump, handful of rocks, kick to the face and sprinting away from them. I've had them wait in a ditch, charge out from a driveway, run parallel to me, or even just wait in the roadway for me to get there.

Two weeks ago my string of luck ended as I was nailed hard by a Staffordshire Terrier (one of the pit bull breeds). It was at the end of my ride when I was slowing for a 3/4 mile cool down and also turning right. I had never seen the dog at this house before and he got me from behind - no barking, growling or anything. He was just there and I never knew he was there until he bit onto my leg and it jerked my bike sideways. The front wound was torn and deep enough I could see the tendon. The lower calf had six tooth marks with one being quite deep as well. I was fortunate not to be pulled off the bike and the dog ran back across the road after I yelled at it. By far this has been the most painful injury I think I've ever had. And, that's after three surgeries in the past year. The worst part - I am the third victim of this dog. It is being put down (if it hasn't already) but really should have been after either one of the other two bite incidents. Clearly the dangerous dog laws in our state didn't work very well before my run in with the dog.

Lesson learned - sometimes there's not a lot you can do about the dog or the attack. I'll be even more vigilant when I can get back on a bike.

Old 10-29-15, 04:30 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Why do people resist teaching their dogs manners??? Seriously, it's every dog owner's responsibility to teach their dog acceptable behavior, just like they teach their 4-year-old. It doesn't seem that difficult a concept.

There's a rural ride DH and I take sometimes, and at one house there's a pair of dogs that often come out; the larger one trots up looking to say hi, and the little one, I think a terrier mix, runs out looking to rip off your face. I was taught to keep my bike between me and the dog, but what if it's a bloodthirsty 20-pounder that can run under the bike?
Old 10-30-15, 08:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by RidesaJapanese
That's how Big Dog is, he wanders into any store here he can trigger the automatic door, they give him a drink and a treat. He hangs out at the Casey's all the time, they call him their watch dog.
Sounds like this old fellow we encountered on tour while in Olney, MT. He was the perfect companion for the local children and as sweet as could be.
Old 11-01-15, 03:53 AM
Up North

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I carry a lightweight folding knife clipped to my bibs. The first dog that bites my ass won't make it home.