Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

E bike recommendations

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

E bike recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 10:42 PM
JamesRitchie87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E bike recommendations

I have been going back and forth about getting an e bike for my primary mode of transportation. I am also a big guy standing at 6'5 and 270lbs. I have recently started yoga, cardio and a new diet and thought a bike would be a nice addition to the new lifestyle. Problem is i'm not sure which bike would be good for me to commute with and if i could get it in the $2000 range. Any and all help would be appreciated.
Old 04-20-17, 11:31 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
This would be a better place to as if you want useful information rather than emotional commentary.
Electric Bikes - Bike Forums
Old 04-21-17, 04:37 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling to Electric Bikes.
Old 04-21-17, 05:59 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Hm, I would suggest looking at the EasyMotion or Pedgeo brands but do not know USA prices.
Old 04-21-17, 06:11 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
At that price range, I would recommend an inexpensive bike with disc brakes and then install your own motor. Having both a hub motor bike and a BaFang mid drive bike, I recommend the mid-drive.
Old 04-21-17, 09:52 AM
NoPhart

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd also recommend the Bafang BBS02 750W/48V mid-drive with a quality and size battery of your choice. There are a couple advantages to this kit and someone of your size can select a bike frame that actually fits them well. First it has 750W of power (more at peak) which none of the premade E-bikes have that I am aware of. Second it has a throttle option that most premade E-bike don't offer. Third replacement batteries don't have to be a specific brand at double the price. The battery and kit will cost you from $1,000 to $1,500 depending on the battery you select. that gives you a nice cushion to select your desired bike size and style. Good luck!
Old 04-21-17, 10:26 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
750W HPC Mid Drive Conversion System - Hi-Power Cycles or, https://www.hi-powercycles.com/hpc-20...-complete-kit/ I would take either one and be happy...
Old 04-23-17, 10:20 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
There are a LOT of good e-bikes in the $2k range that would put a smile on your face James.

E-motion is a great one. You fail to mention your location so we cant point you toward somebody.

-SP
Old 04-23-17, 10:45 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At 6'5" you probably want a 22" frame which is going to limit your options. Stromer offer their bikes in that frame size.
Old 04-24-17, 10:06 AM
digbyblack

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know of a good infographic or site where you can easily see the difference in specs and features for similarly priced bikes?
Old 05-08-17, 05:37 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Looking for the right Bike.

In my opinion, you shouldn't buy an electric bike. Find the bike that is perfect for you and mount/have mounted a 750w BaFang center drive. Find the perfect bike and make it an ebike. Can get higher quality for less expenditure, can upgrade, tailor the battery and still move the drive to a new bike in the future if you wish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
RidingLarge.jpg (98.8 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00327.jpg (89.2 KB, 247 views)
Old 05-09-17, 07:56 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by digbyblack
Does anyone know of a good infographic or site where you can easily see the difference in specs and features for similarly priced bikes?
Here's the best site, with written and video reviews.

https://electricbikereview.com
Old 05-09-17, 09:41 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Depending on where you live, there are e-bike Expo's around the country and you might be able to check one out. There you can test ride numerous e-bikes and figure out what you like or don't. The site tds101 gave you always lists the upcoming Expo's. If you've never ridden an e-bike and haven't been on a bike in years, you need to test ride a variety before you purchase. +1 on mid-drive especially for big guys as they will give you much better climbing than a hub motor, and also it seems that's where the market is going (in case you decide to sell it later). Ride, ride, ride, then buy.
Old 05-15-17, 03:26 PM
EthanStark

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Turbo Vado, I loved it a lot.When it came to the design of the Turbo Vado Specialized didn’t want to be restricted by the constraints that surround the bolt-on motor solutions used by most manufacturers. Instead, Specialized took the unusual step of developing its own e-bike battery and worked closely with motor manufacturer Brose to produce a custom motor. The result is a totally integrated frame, motor, and battery that you won’t be able to buy from anyone else.
Old 05-25-17, 07:13 PM
JLG7163

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
In my opinion, you shouldn't buy an electric bike. Find the bike that is perfect for you and mount/have mounted a 750w BaFang center drive. Find the perfect bike and make it an ebike. Can get higher quality for less expenditure, can upgrade, tailor the battery and still move the drive to a new bike in the future if you wish.
I have a 750 watt front hub and its' axle can spin out. I have been through several bikes
with the same result. Torque arms help but they can fail. A kit is only a good idea if you can find the right bike for it.
Can you name a bike? The only one I've come across that works well is an old Sears Free Spirit which is similar
to a old Huffy Expedition. With an integrated bike, you don't have to worry about finding a perfect fit.
Old 05-25-17, 07:38 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
IMO, 350w is the maximum that is safe on a front hub because the ramifications of a failure can be devastating. Also, I employ a front hub only on a steel fork and reinforce with a torque arm.
Old 05-25-17, 09:35 PM
Matt83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thing to consider when selecting a bike is what type of terrain your going to be riding on, and if there are any steep inclines. For level ground and mild inclines a good hub motor it plenty, at least it has been for me. I'm 6 foot 205lbs.

I recently picked up a fat tire e bike, I do a combination of on road and off road and stumbled onto the fat tire bikes during my searching. They do have more drag than a normal tire but with the 750w hub motor it's a non factor. I purchased my bike full knowing that it is a pedal assist, not a scooter... I really enjoy being able to go farther and faster than I ever would under my own power.
Old 05-26-17, 04:19 AM
JLG7163

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
IMO, 350w is the maximum that is safe on a front hub because the ramifications of a failure can be devastating. Also, I employ a front hub only on a steel fork and reinforce with a torque arm.
I always have used non suspension steel forks and usually a torque arm. Never had a broken fork which can happen with aluminum ones. The real issue pertains to the dropout size on the forks. 350 watts will likely work on most steel forks. It has less torque and acceleration than 750 type.
Old 05-29-17, 01:32 PM
Nelson37
Banned.

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
James, the answer will depend on a lot of factors, such as:

How far do you want to go?

How fast do you want to go?

Paved streets, smooth or potholed, rough trails, total off-road?

How comfortable are you performing regular drive-train maintenance?

What sort of hills, how long and how steep, do you need to deal with?

How important is reliability to you?

If this were a motorcycle, there are places where a Gold-wing would be good and better than a dirt-bike, and places where the complete opposite would be true.

You will be more likely to find a bike that fits your physique and needs and then add a kit to it, as opposed to the much more limited selection of turn-key e-bikes.
Old 05-29-17, 05:01 PM
JamesRitchie87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Late reply

So I live in Tacoma, WA plenty of hills out here and plenty of rain but I'm not one to hide from a little rain. I do like the idea of a kit but I would want to know shops where I can go for advice being new to everything.
Old 05-30-17, 09:12 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jim, after considerable research, IMO dealer support is not all that important as many do not seem to know their product very well and few carry the same brand for any extended period of time.

For rain, the throttle is the most vulnerable piece, either keep covered with a plastic bag - the long thin ones used for produce at many grocery stores work great - or spray the insides with Boeshield T-9. Avoid all throttles with a battery indicator as part of the assembly, this means full pack voltage is present and the potential for significant and expensive damage is much greater, and also more likely to occur due to the high voltage.

2.5 years riding in SW Florida, bike has been strapped to the front of a bus doing 50+ mph through monsoon-level rain for 30 minutes. No problem, moderate rain with throttle uncovered caused only minor issue I have had.

All wires run thru inner tubes, battery horizontally mounted, controller fully potted, display is LED only.
Old 05-30-17, 03:36 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
(SCRAP----->Seattle is mid July for the e-bike expo in your area.)

Sorry about that. I found a 2016 schedule. Portland is the closest event to WA for 2017, and it will be mid-August.

Since you admit there are hills, look for a mid-drive bike.

Of course there are many DIY'ers here in this forum that will tell you to build your own but that idea only works if you are already a bike mechanic.

I've had a few people ask me about the weight limits, so its time to find out from some sales reps. I THINK most publish 250# as their limit, but I'll make sure.

I'm 6'4" and my fave bike is the Specialized Turbo S, but the screaming deal I got was on a medium frame bike. It still works GREAT so dont give up just because you cant get an XL frame like you might normally look for.

Many LBS have e-bikes, but they hide them or dont promote them, so ask directly. Youmight find a surprise deal out there.

-SP

Last edited by speedy25; 05-30-17 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-05-17, 09:57 AM
Klaw

Bikes: Diamondback Response Sport '07 w BBSHD 1000W, Downtube 9FS ’08 w BBS02 750W, 2016 Cannondale Hooligan, 1996 Trek 800. 2022 Mercier Nano

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Highly recommend simply finding a basic MTB that fits your frame, full suspension and disc brakes. Then find a shop that can install a Bafang middrive. Luna Cycles has a deal on the 750W for $450, battery will run $300, install maybe $200. So figure under $1500 for a nice custom ebike rather than brand name. Bafangs are pretty much waterproof, and LOVE hills.
Old 06-07-17, 01:02 PM
allan6344

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I would visit the local e-bike specialty shops and talk to them and try a few bikes. I live in Seattle where we have several e-bike specialty shops. I like Electric and Folding bikes in Ballard. I see in Tacoma there is a web page for Wattz-Up in University place so I would check them out and see if they are a real shop. As far as building your own it depends on what you want to do with your time. While I have a complete bike repair station in my basement and extra bicycles that would work, I bought a Specialized Turbo S because I did not want to spend the time messing with assembling my own.
Old 06-22-17, 07:28 PM
BoiseShwin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a 2016 Haibike Sduro Trekking RC for $1600 on closeout. Retail is $3,500 and I love it. XT Lvl parts and a Yamaha pedelec motor and I have not regrets at all. I've added a few extras to fine-tune it to my taste...ergo grips, brooks saddle, seatpost shock (best investment), mirror and iPhone holder. I'll post up a pic tomorrow.

I did think about buying the midrive motor and building it up that way, as others have suggested, but I just find these German Engineered motors and ebike systems so much more refined.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.