Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fixing a gel seat

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fixing a gel seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-21, 10:28 AM
orcinus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixing a gel seat

Not a bicycle issue per se, but I was wondering if there is a way to fix a split gel saddle. I have a Selle Royal Ellipse seat which I've been using for less than a year, and it split inside the cutout and is leaking gel. I hate throwing things away if they can be fixed, and I believe I haven't been using it for long enough for such wear and tear. If anybody managed to patch or seal this type of breakage, please let me know!
Old 06-13-21, 05:19 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Sorry to say but if the gel bladder(s) is(are) broken, you'll need a new saddle.
$40USD through Amazon will get you a new one.

https://www.amazon.com/Ellipse-Athletic-Bike-Seat-Unisex/dp/B07LGPKH4C/ref=gp_aw_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P1EDH9SZ74NEZ00KSX4B

Last edited by Juan el Boricua; 06-13-21 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-13-21, 05:30 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan el Boricua
Sorry to say but if the gel bladder(s) is(are) broken, you'll need a new saddle.
+1. Since OP states it's only been used less than a year and if that means it was purchased less than a year ago he/she should look into a warranty replacement.
Old 06-13-21, 05:33 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
+1. Since OP states it's only been used less than a year and if that means it was purchased less than a year ago he/she should look into a warranty replacement.
Good advice.
Old 06-14-21, 04:55 AM
orcinus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, I unfortunately don't have the receipt for that purchase, normally these saddles have a 2 year warranty.
Old 06-14-21, 07:05 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by orcinus
yeah, I unfortunately don't have the receipt for that purchase, normally these saddles have a 2 year warranty.
Contact the manufacturer. Did you purchase it with a credit card? Check your records on-line.
Old 06-14-21, 07:53 AM
orcinus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Contact the manufacturer. Did you purchase it with a credit card? Check your records on-line.
Thanks, yes, purchased with a credit card but the emailed order confirmation was deleted and the bank statement doesn't detail what purchase it was. I did contact Selle Royal yesterday, worth a try I guess.
Old 06-14-21, 09:13 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I did contact Selle Royal yesterday, worth a try I guess.
All the manufacturer wants is that you substantiate the date of purchase. They'll act to foster good will.
Old 06-14-21, 09:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
If you bought it from an authorized dealer like your local bike shop they can likely get you a copy of the receipt and potentially help with warranty.
Old 06-21-21, 08:39 AM
orcinus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No luck so far with this seat. Selle Royal wants me to replace it with the dealer (Sports Direct), and the dealer wants me to first get an independent assessment from a "reputable company" which would say definitively that it's a fault rather than wear and tear. I now have the invoice for this proving purchase, but getting blown off by both companies. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know it's probably not that much money to many people, but if I it's under warranty, I thought it would be replaced no questions asked. Instead they are saying I have to pay for an independent investigation.
Old 06-21-21, 09:47 AM
Juan el Boricua

I understand that there are principles and morality involved but given the case, having an "independent resource evaluate" will cost more than a new saddle; I'd chalk it up as an experience and buy a new one (but I would from another company and or provider, as there actions have given me a "sour note"). Good luck in whichever path you choose to follow.
Old 06-21-21, 09:50 AM
Crankycrank

No luck so far with this seat. Selle Royal wants me to replace it with the dealer (Sports Direct), and the dealer wants me to first get an independent assessment from a "reputable company" which would say definitively that it's a fault rather than wear and tear. I now have the invoice for this proving purchase, but getting blown off by both companies. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know it's probably not that much money to many people, but if I it's under warranty, I thought it would be replaced no questions asked. Instead they are saying I have to pay for an independent investigation.
Well that's an incredibly crappy response from the dealer. Try contacting Selle Royal again with your experience and see what they say. Never heard of a requirement for an independent assessment on a defective $50 item still under warranty. Since you found the invoice it's worth contacting the credit card company to help with a refund. You could also forward a link to this thread to the customer relations dept. so they know they're getting some bad publicity over this.
Old 06-21-21, 10:12 AM
orcinus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that's an incredibly crappy response from the dealer. Try contacting Selle Royal again with your experience and see what they say. Never heard of a requirement for an independent assessment on a defective $50 item still under warranty. Since you found the invoice it's worth contacting the credit card company to help with a refund. You could also forward a link to this thread to the customer relations dept. so they know they're getting some bad publicity over this.
Yeah I thought it was crappy too. Emailed them back as well as the official SR distributor in the UK. Still hoping it can get resolved in some way!
Old 06-21-21, 10:20 AM
Crankycrank

I believe the UK has some strong consumer protection laws. Isn't there a "not fit for purpose" or some such thing that can be used in a case like this? Use as a last resort but worth looking into if you get no satisfaction. This requirement of an "independent assessment" has got me all riled up.
Old 06-21-21, 10:27 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
...wondering if there is a way to fix a split gel saddle... ...I hate throwing things away...
The Gel is toast but the saddle is not? If not repairable please consider stripping this saddle down to reveal its bones, and take some pictures for me. I like the fact that this saddle is wide and have wondered if it would be worth the time to purchase one and strip off all the padding to recover it with smooth leather.

As for Gel seats in general, I have seen these seats used for years without problems, but not me. I just tear stuff up without even trying. I can't even wear a nice watch. I once was gifted a pair of Air Cushion Ascis jogging shoes in the 90's. I did not even make it off the back yard before stepping on some Texas Mesquite and getting a flat... Rats!
Old 06-21-21, 11:33 AM
orcinus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
The Gel is toast but the saddle is not? If not repairable please consider stripping this saddle down to reveal its bones, and take some pictures for me. I like the fact that this saddle is wide and have wondered if it would be worth the time to purchase one and strip off all the padding to recover it with smooth leather.

As for Gel seats in general, I have seen these seats used for years without problems, but not me. I just tear stuff up without even trying. I can't even wear a nice watch. I once was gifted a pair of Air Cushion Ascis jogging shoes in the 90's. I did not even make it off the back yard before stepping on some Texas Mesquite and getting a flat... Rats!
It's split along where the covering meets the base of the seat with gel flaking out. I don't know if I want to cut it up even more in case it's toxic tbh. But it's the most comfortable seat I've had, I ride very upright due to a back problem.
Old 06-23-21, 04:55 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
It's split along where the covering meets the base of the seat with gel flaking out. I don't know if I want to cut it up even more in case it's toxic tbh. But it's the most comfortable seat I've had, I ride very upright due to a back problem.
A pic would help. My suspicions are that the saddle is torn due to use. Any decent saddle from a reputable company just do not split on their own. Gel saddles suck anyway. Gel feels good with initial contact, but does not get any better for long-term use. Gel conforms to your butt, BUT never stays in the shape of your butt, so its like sitting on a fresh new saddle every time. They are hot in the summer and blocks of ice in the winter. The gel is constantly moving as you move around on the covering. Gel saddles are just not that tough. It is also my opinion that gel saddles are another silly fad, using a material that is best left for other applications. No sir, I don't like it!
Old 06-23-21, 04:57 AM
orcinus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
A pic would help. My suspicions are that the saddle is torn due to use. Any decent saddle from a reputable company just do not split on their own. Gel saddles suck anyway. Gel feels good with initial contact, but does not get any better for long-term use. Gel conforms to your butt, BUT never stays in the shape of your butt, so its like sitting on a fresh new saddle every time. They are hot in the summer and blocks of ice in the winter. The gel is constantly moving as you move around on the covering. Gel saddles are just not that tough. It is also my opinion that gel saddles are another silly fad, using a material that is best left for other applications. No sir, I don't like it!
I'm glad you're healthy enough to use hard saddles. For me the choice is a gel saddle or no cycling.