Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom bracket weep holes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-21, 08:38 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts

I've got a steel frame roadie stripped for painting. I notice similar later frames from Giant have holes in the bottom, I assume for drainage. My frame's bottom bracket does not have any holes and was badly rusted.

Should I drill a couple of weep holes in the bottom bracket?
Old 10-09-21, 09:27 AM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Rusted outside or inside the bottom bracket? If outside, no need to. If inside, you could use a wire brush to remove the rust scales and clean, and then brush in rust converter, primer, paint, grease or a combination of them to protect the bare metal. Some have a weep/drain hole, but on most late 80's-on bicycles it is to screw on a plastic cable guide. You could drill one if wanting to, but could void the warranty if it is still valid.

Last edited by Juan el Boricua; 10-09-21 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-09-21, 05:24 PM
BTinNYC 

Originally Posted by Juan el Boricua
Rusted outside or inside the bottom bracket? If outside, no need to. If inside, you could use a wire brush to remove the rust scales and clean, and then brush in rust converter, primer, paint, grease or a combination of them to protect the bare metal. Some have a weep/drain hole, but on most late 80's-on bicycles it is to screw on a plastic cable guide. You could drill one if wanting to, but could void the warranty if it is still valid.
Juan, thank you for the reply. This was a junker taken from a junkpile, and rusted on the inside. I did the brush, flush, and naval jelly. Replacement BB parts threaded in nicely. I'll leave it as is.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 10-09-21, 11:57 PM
lubloi

Bikes: Koga Miyata GranTourer 1985, Koga Miyata Adventure 1992, Cinelli Sentiero, Giant Terrago 1993, Presto Amsterdam 1975(?), Dahon Classic III Stainless

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
I always drill two holes on bikes that don't have any drain holes. Better to let the water out.
Likes For lubloi:
Old 10-10-21, 05:49 AM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 74 Centurion LeMans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 35 Posts
I have an old hybrid bike that I have had to replace the bottom bracket bearings on twice, they were rusted, presumably from me washing the bike... Then I noticed the holes in the bottom bracket of a road bike I picked up, I drilled out the BB on the hybrid several years ago and no issues since.
Old 10-10-21, 06:29 AM
BTinNYC 

There's certainly no warranty issues if I drill a couple of holes! 😉