Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Tubeless on Tandems

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Road Tubeless on Tandems

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-17, 03:50 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gtmather313
Warning to all Schwalbe tubeless tandem tire users....you're probably exceeding the manufacturer's load limit and are risking your wellbeing! I have thousands of miles on Schwalbe One and One Pro 25/28mm tires on my single road and gravel bikes and have nothing but praise for their comfortable ride and low rolling resistance. However, I strongly recommend that you follow Schwalbe's Pro One 28mm "Maximum Load" recommendation of 75kg per tire. (That's 330lbs for your team, tandem, water bottles, etc.) the 25mm have a 70/kg limit and I am pretty sure the first gen Schwalbe One's 28mm tires have a 70kg/308lb limit. I don't think this older tire is on their website.

I learned about this load limit the hard way.....had a rear tire sidewall failure while decending on my tandem at +45mph. Ugly, ugly wreck....smashed tandem, destroyed wheels, surgery, 10 screws & a long titanium plate plate on my clavicle, stoker had compartment syndrome and more. Post crash I called Schwalbe and learned of their per tire load limit and they said they do NOT reccomend tubeless for tandems regardless of weight. Hard to find it on their website so here's a link: https://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-rea...e-pro-one.html
Be safe and have fun.
I installed a 28mm Schwalbe One tubeless tire on the tandem back in April. After reading this report and others in this thread I took the tire off and installed a tube.

After doing some more reading I called both HED and Schwalbe and then removed the tube and we are back to running tubeless. A couple of issues were pointed out by the reps. 1. excessive pressure can cause a disaster such as you describe. Schwalbe recommended that we not go over 80 psi, especially if we were using rim brakes and doing long descents. 2. aggressive cornering could cause a tire to roll off. The new HED 3 + rims are tubeless compatible.

I discussed the tire load with the Schwalbe rep and he felt that the load was conservative, most manufacturers will normally have at least a 2-1 safety factor built into their recommendations.

We live in the Midwest and do not have long descents. I corner conservatively on the tandem. So we are back to tubeless and stoker says it is more comfortable.
Old 05-31-17, 05:54 PM
chojn1

Bikes: Eriksen Tandem, DIY CF Tandem, Aluminum Tandem, Lightspeed, Cervelo, Specialized, Trek

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
This blog by Jan Heine of Compass Tires is worth a read.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/...road-tubeless/

His recommendation is to keep the pressure below 60psi.
Old 05-31-17, 05:58 PM
chojn1

Bikes: Eriksen Tandem, DIY CF Tandem, Aluminum Tandem, Lightspeed, Cervelo, Specialized, Trek

On another note, has anyone flown with tubeless?
Taking a trip at the end the month, I am a little concerned regarding the fluid and pressure in the packed tires?

Last edited by chojn1; 05-31-17 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-01-17, 07:10 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by chojn1
On another note, has anyone flown with tubeless?
Taking a trip at the end the month, I am a little concerned regarding the fluid and pressure in the packed tires?
I've flown with tubeless MTB tires, no issue.

There shouldn't be any for tubeless road.

The maximum possible increase in tire pressure just isn't enough to be an issue.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/cycling-myths.html
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-01-17, 12:16 PM
tkramer
TKramer

Bikes: Paketa V2r, Co-motion Equator Co-pilot, Bingham BUILT. tandem

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run tubeless on our Paketa, but only with UST specified rims and tires (Mavic All-road Disc Pro wheels & Hutchinson Sector 28 tires). The tires are 30mm wide when inflated to 7 bar (~100 psi). I usually run a tad less pressure. 7 bar happens to be the max printed on the sidewall. I would not have even considered any of the do-it-yourself, tape-and-earwax-cobbled solutions one reads about for a road tandem.

I'm only 1,500 miles into my first foray with this setup and I've had one puncture on the rear about 300 miles ago. It was self repaired by sealant. Thank goodness for the sealant doing its job because if I had to use an inner tube to keep riding, I would have been in for a rude surprise: breaking the bead on this tire/rim combination is not for the faint of heart! The puncture was caused by glass or flint which had left a visible cut on the tread. So, I decided I would take the tire off and patch the inside for safety's sake. In the comfort of my own garage, it took nearly an hour of pulling, prying, squeezing, weeping, cursing and gnashing of teeth to get the bead separated from the rim. Once a section pops off, the rest is cake. But getting that first bit started is amazingly difficult. Not something I'd want to have to do on the side of the road. After that ordeal, I immediately ordered a plug kit to replace one of the two inner tubes I carry in my repair kit. The other tube is just filling space as a fool's insurance or maybe for helping another cyclist on the road.

I still have to top off the pressure before every ride, and I've had sealant successfully repair a puncture in a tubed setup, so I'm not 100% sold on the idea. I've had one pinch flat on the rear wheel with 28c tire/tube but it was all new and I was still dialing in the pressure preferences for my stoker. When it comes time to replace the rear tire, I'll probably move my front tubeless back there and transition back to standard tubed tires.

Last edited by tkramer; 06-01-17 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
Old 06-01-17, 03:59 PM
chojn1

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I've flown with tubeless MTB tires, no issue.

There shouldn't be any for tubeless road.

The maximum possible increase in tire pressure just isn't enough to be an issue.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/cycling-myths.html
Thanks for the info. That's reassuring.
CJ
Old 09-18-23, 03:43 PM
Hamana

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ENVE SES 5.6 Rims

Originally Posted by Bad1
I've been using tubeless now for over a year and a half with out any problem, using orange seal sealant. Using Schwable 700/25 pro one tubeless with out any problems. Tubeless wheelset are Hed Belgium plus with 28 hole W.I.hubs, DT aero comp, 2nd set Enve SES 5.6 with DT 240 hubs, DT aero comp spokes with no problems, the ride is smooth and fast. It's all about if you want to commit to a tubeless set up and just a little bit more of your time and what tubeless brings with it!
We have a set of ENVE SES 5.6 rims, and have had nothing but problems with the tires. We're running Continental Gatorskin Black edition, 32 mm. Tires are blowing out at the rim/tire interface.
Can I ask, what tires do run on your SES 5.6 wheels?
Old 09-19-23, 11:10 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamana
We have a set of ENVE SES 5.6 rims, and have had nothing but problems with the tires. We're running Continental Gatorskin Black edition, 32 mm. Tires are blowing out at the rim/tire interface.
When I figured out that I was patiently reading through a Zombie thread (grrr) I did some checking on your behalf. The poster you hope to get a response from has not been active on this site in exactly three years. The discussion, as you know, transpired six years ago. Six years ago I had hair.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-20-23, 08:51 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

It is a Zombie thread. However, given advancing technology and the more widespread use of road tubeless, it seems worth updating. For us, we’re running 28mm Continental 5000 tubeless on Calfee, hooked rims. ( my understanding is that the rims are made by a Chinese manufacturer to Calfee’s specs).

we run them at 80-85 pounds and have had no issues with blowoffs or tire failure.

Because we run lower pressure than with tubed, the ride is definitely more compliant. And we definitely seem to have fewer flats. In the last stage of the Ride Across Portugal, we got a puncture that sealed itself. We only realized it after the race, when there was sealant on the stoker’s leg.

We finished the stage with the pack. Tubed, we would have been dropped while we fixed the flat.

So I’m pretty much a convert.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 09-20-23, 09:06 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Hamana

Enve doesn’t spec a particular tire for their hooked rim tubeless wheels, and 32mm is a compatible size, although the widest spec’d.

So a few questions, What is your team weight, what pressure are you running, and why 32mm tires on go fast aero rims?

I’m assuming a light team weight, given that these are 24 spoke rims. At a team weight of 340, we were running 28 spoke ENVE 65. When they needed replaced, and only 24 spoke rims were available from ENVE, both ENVE and Calfee strongly advised us against going with a 24spoke wheel.

So if you are relatively light, then why 32mm tires? Your rims are optimized aerodynamically for 25 mm tires. And given that you’re running Gatorskins, it does not appear that rolling resistance is a high priority.