Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic brake lever touches handlebar

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hydraulic brake lever touches handlebar

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-24, 12:42 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
Pad wear has NOTHING to do with throw distance.

Please research this throughly or complete automotive school on how master cylinders work with caliper pistons before wrongly claiming how bike hydraulics work.
Right.

Bicycle hydraulic brakes are self-adjusting. That's why when you squeeze the lever without a rotor between the pads you have to pry the caliper open to get the wheel back on. If you doubt this, take a look at your caliper with worn pads and tell me if the gap between the pads and the rotor has increased.

A soft brake lever means there's air in the brake line. By all means, check your pads for wear, but when your lever bottoms out it's telling you it's time for a bleed.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 03-26-24, 01:45 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Right.

Bicycle hydraulic brakes are self-adjusting. That's why when you squeeze the lever without a rotor between the pads you have to pry the caliper open to get the wheel back on. If you doubt this, take a look at your caliper with worn pads and tell me if the gap between the pads and the rotor has increased.

A soft brake lever means there's air in the brake line. By all means, check your pads for wear, but when your lever bottoms out it's telling you it's time for a bleed.
You're confusing self adjust piston position with compensating for lever throw. No one is saying the pistons don't compensate for wear. Also, an increasing lever throw doesn't mean the braking is soft. Just that there is effectively more free stroke before the brakes engage. I'm only familiar with Shimano hydraulic brakes. With these there is a small "reservoir" that has a diaphragm that more or less allows the system to be at ambient air pressure when not engaged. As the pistons move out due to pad and rotor wear, the extra fluid needed comes from the reservoir. This, I believe (but do not know) is to help compensate for the gradual movement of the pistons due to wear. But, it's a sealed system. So, the system must gradually develop a slightly negative pressure relative to ambient, as the diaphragm expands into the reservoir. I believe it's this reason that the compensation is not perfect.

I believe that without the reservoir and diaphragm system, the change in throw would be extreme, but again the system is not prefect. So, there is an effect on lever throw as the pads wear.
Old 03-26-24, 02:28 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
I am sure the pads are not worn. Their thickness is 3.7 mm and a change is recommended below 3 mm. I don't think they are designed to be replaced after 2200 km on flat roads with sporadic mild braking. If so, then pro cyclists would need 2-3 pairs of pads for a long course in the mountains.
I have just investigated how disk brakes work and, indeed, the pistons compensate for pads wear. My brakes levers had a long course before they "bite" since they were new, but after that point the brake was strong. Maybe this is by design. I'm not happy with that, because when the "bite" started 5mm further away (for no apparent reason), the lever started to touch the handlebar.

I applied a workaround which made the brake fully functional as it was at the beginning: I forced the pistons to extend more by squeezing the lever after putting between the pads a spacer which is thinner than the rotor (1.5 mm versus 1.85mm). But I'm not comfortable with the solution, thus, I'll try a "bleeding". I'm curious to see the results, given the fact that the brake levers had a long course before the bite, even when the bike was new.
Likes For Redbullet:
Old 03-26-24, 04:32 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
At 11 months with light use, I would suspect that the brakes were done incorrectly when new.

Not totally wrong or you’d have found out right away but wrong enough that the problem didn’t present itself immediately.

I’m thinking incomplete bleeding, shortening the hoses without a bleed, installing olives that weren’t totally clean, or using brake fluid that had been open for a while. Or you sprung a leak.

I might try to diagnose the problem myself but from my experience with SRAM brakes, I’d take it to the shop to fix.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-30-24, 05:32 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
I applied a workaround which made the brake fully functional as it was at the beginning: I forced the pistons to extend more by squeezing the lever after putting between the pads a spacer which is thinner than the rotor (1.5 mm versus 1.85mm). But I'm not comfortable with the solution, thus, I'll try a "bleeding". I'm curious to see the results, given the fact that the brake levers had a long course before the bite, even when the bike was new.
Sounds like the seals have always been sticking in their bores, by extending them with a narrow spacer you've managed to force them to reposition as intended, so it's a legitimate fix, as long as they're still sealing adequately. They may even self-adjust now, or you may need to encourage them again as the pads wear.
Old 03-31-24, 02:27 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Sounds like the seals have always been sticking in their bores, by extending them with a narrow spacer you've managed to force them to reposition as intended, so it's a legitimate fix, as long as they're still sealing adequately. They may even self-adjust now, or you may need to encourage them again as the pads wear.
Finally, dirty bleeding did the job.
I had endless failed attempts to push the pistons back into the caliper. Finally, I had to remove and disassemble the caliper, I lubricated the pistons with DOT 5.1 (although forbidden by SRAM). Then I managed to push back the pistons by strongly squeezing the “half” parts of the caliper using pliers with long arms, then re-assembled the caliper. At the end of the bleeding procedure, I lost 5-10 drops of fluid while removing the syringe and screwing caliper cap - there is no way to avoid that (or... should I rotate the bike upside-down before removing the syringe, to avoid leaking? It looks hilarious to me).
Wow! After 11 months and 2200 km with a new system: 60 EUR spent for the kit and fluid, plus 2.5 hours of uncomfortable and undesired work, only for one brake (front). I just entered in the new world of disk brakes... missing my old rim brakes .
Likes For Redbullet:
Old 03-31-24, 02:49 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I just entered in the new world of disk brakes... missing my old rim brakes .
You must have done it wrong, based on the number of posts I see here claiming that hydraulic disc brake maintenance is as easy as, if not easier, than working on rim brakes.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-02-24, 06:04 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Shimano uses mineral oil, and they are rather low maintenance, unless they leak or something.

SRAM uses DOT fluid, which is hygroscopic. It absorbs ambient water vapor much more easily
Thread Drift: is it possible to convert SRAM hydraulic brakes to use mineral oil?
Old 04-04-24, 10:13 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
The only issue I can think of is that the oil might swell up any rubber seals.

Anything soft and supple will get even more soft and supple.

Brake fluid doesn't do this.
Old 04-04-24, 03:51 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Finally, dirty bleeding did the job.
I had endless failed attempts to push the pistons back into the caliper. Finally, I had to remove and disassemble the caliper, I lubricated the pistons with DOT 5.1 (although forbidden by SRAM). Then I managed to push back the pistons by strongly squeezing the “half” parts of the caliper using pliers with long arms, then re-assembled the caliper. At the end of the bleeding procedure, I lost 5-10 drops of fluid while removing the syringe and screwing caliper cap - there is no way to avoid that (or... should I rotate the bike upside-down before removing the syringe, to avoid leaking? It looks hilarious to me).
Wow! After 11 months and 2200 km with a new system: 60 EUR spent for the kit and fluid, plus 2.5 hours of uncomfortable and undesired work, only for one brake (front). I just entered in the new world of disk brakes... missing my old rim brakes .
New to disc brakes myself, but one video I watched, they simply unbolted the caliper and rotated it as necessary to let the air bubble(s) rise.
If you had a friend, they could help you "manipulate" the bike. Even a piece of rope slung over a rafter for an impromptu, bicycle lynching party.
Old 04-04-24, 04:05 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Thread Drift: is it possible to convert SRAM hydraulic brakes to use mineral oil?
I'll join your drift.
Having absolutely no previous experience with disc brakes, can you-
Rest the bicycle upside down to remove a wheel etc. for whatever reason?

Reason I ask is I made a cassette change. With the rack & folding baskets installed, it was a real pain to R & R the wheel, keeping the disc from getting mangled upon reinstall while trying to hold a VERY HEAVY Ebike. With the baskets installed, it reduces visibility need to line up the brake disc properly.
I'm getting old, weak & feeble which doesn't help matters.
Old 04-04-24, 04:14 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Bleeding or fluid replacement can be a messy PITA. Now I've done it a few times it's just messy. I remove the rear brake caliper from the stay so it can dangle at a low point.
Old 04-04-24, 04:24 PM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I just thought of one potential problem: A large open bottle will start to absorb ambient water vapor, so unless you have other uses for it, it might not be as cost-effective as you think.
When I crack a bottle of glycol-based brake fluid (DOT 3, 4, 5.1) I use what I need and dispose of the remainder - it will inevitably absorb atmospheric moisture, so there’s no point in trying to store it
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 04-04-24, 05:04 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I've read that you cannot. Various piston seals, etc, are incompatible. (Off the top of my head, I would think it would be easier to do that then to go in the other direction of conversion.)

In the overall scheme of things, it might be simplest to replace the brakes. Some new version of SRAM brakes are now mineral oil-based.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-05-24, 06:40 AM
Weogo

Bikes: 2022 HudSki Doggler

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Gosh I like my cable-actuated discs!