Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Too much inappropriate material

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 12:08 AM
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMHO, there's a lot of innapropiate material on this site. This is bad, real bad. Most of us come to this site looking for information about cycling just to find innapropiate images on our screens. There's a time and a place for everything. There are a lot of sites dedicated to that kind of content. I realy don't see the need to use innapropiate images on a bicycle forum.
Old 04-25-08, 12:12 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, you've just signed up and already are complaining. If BF offends your delicate sensibilities then maybe you shouldn't visit here.
Old 04-25-08, 12:26 AM
Mr York

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You kids, get off of my lawn!
Old 04-25-08, 12:43 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
The moderators do a good job of keeping things pretty tidy and acceptable but understand that there is more to life than cycling and our interests are as varied as we are.

If you find something to be really offensive you can report the post.

Keep in mind that what you may consider offensive may not violate the forums guidelines.
Old 04-25-08, 07:27 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RubenX
IMHO, there's a lot of innapropiate material on this site. This is bad, real bad. Most of us come to this site looking for information about cycling just to find innapropiate images on our screens. There's a time and a place for everything. There are a lot of sites dedicated to that kind of content. I realy don't see the need to use innapropiate images on a bicycle forum.
Do you have any specific examples?

As Sixty Fiver said, there are many different tastes and viewpoints here. You can use the 'report a post' button to report something anonymously.

The administrators and moderators here at BikeForums are dedicated to making this the best, most family friendly cycling site around. We like to think that our members are what make this a great place to get advice, and have fun. Your viewpoint could help us become even more so.

Welcome to BikeForums, and don't hesitate to contact us.

East Hill
Old 04-25-08, 08:13 AM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Within the last couple of months some advertising banners on the BF have featured comely young women in various alluring poses and costumes. The advertisements have nothing to do with cycling, other than it is probably assumed many cyclists are men interested in attractive young women. You can either ignore these advertisements, or you can pay to view BF without any advertising. That is why some members have a red star next to their name.

Myself, I wish BF members would not push the limits of the forum rules and of good public discourse by using abbreviations everyone understands and knows could not be written in full without censure, or use acceptable words that sound and look like unacceptable words, or spell unacceptable words with symbols replacing vowels.
Old 04-25-08, 08:25 AM
800over
Big Mac and No hills.

Bikes: Trek 1500, Raleigh Tarantula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twobikes
other than it is probably assumed many cyclists are men interested in attractive young women.

You don't say!

As for the foul typing....cyclists are people... this forum represents all people who ride bikes. Some who swear and some who don't, just like the rest of the world. Some rides I'm on have enough profanity to turn the sky blue (does that make sense?) and some are quite civil. Keep in mind although this is site for all, it aint church. Having said that. A solution is quite simple. Adjust your browser to about 2 cm top to bottom and whenever you come upon the top of a picture that offends (I haven't seen one) simply click the back button and the picture will magically disapear!
Old 04-25-08, 08:42 AM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 800over
You don't say!

As for the foul typing....cyclists are people... this forum represents all people who ride bikes. Some who swear and some who don't, just like the rest of the world. Some rides I'm on have enough profanity to turn the sky blue (does that make sense?) and some are quite civil. Keep in mind although this is site for all, it aint church. Having said that.
The point is that we all clicked our acceptance of an agreement that said we would not thinly veil profanity with symbols, etc. No one said it should be church, but we should live up to what we said we would do. Cyclists may be people who swear in other settings, but here they said they would not. So why are they doing it?
Old 04-25-08, 11:17 AM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just download the ad blocker extension for Firefox and all of the banners will disappear, if that is where the "objectionable" content lives.
Old 04-25-08, 03:09 PM
800over
Big Mac and No hills.

Bikes: Trek 1500, Raleigh Tarantula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twobikes
The point is that we all clicked our acceptance of an agreement that said we would not thinly veil profanity with symbols, etc. No one said it should be church, but we should live up to what we said we would do. Cyclists may be people who swear in other settings, but here they said they would not. So why are they doing it?
You actually read the agreement?
Old 04-25-08, 03:18 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 800over
You actually read the agreement?
Didn't you?

You do realise that you required to give me half of your salary by the end of May? You agreed to do so when you joined, you know.

East Hill
Old 04-25-08, 05:31 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The downgrading of standards hasn't been good. Unfortunately, the worst examples of camouflaged vulgarity have come from the top; from a now almost thankfully impotent group of rampaging Australians who thought they were all grown up using foul language at every opportunity; and a certain forum where using this type of language seems to be "hip".

The most offending ad is the bikerplanet one, which doesn't even apply to cycling!

It all perhaps explains why the active membership is less than 17% of the total membership here. If I was running this business as a world-wide enterprise, I would be seriously wondering why I wasn't able to retain more customers than that.
Old 04-25-08, 05:38 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
17% seems fairly good. you're always going to have people sign up and then wander off somewhere else. even if you had the bestest dang website in the world.
Old 04-25-08, 06:25 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Maybe, but I browsed through the membership list based on sign-up month, and there are a hell of a lot of respected members (at least, the ones whose opinions I respected) who are no longer active.

I have an inkling of the dynamics of a list like this, including the college and uni kids who have plenty of free time and access to campus computers, and then they get into the real world of jobs and accountability (ie, their computer access to sites like this is cut dramatically). And there are people whose interests move on, and so do they.

But there is another list that I used to browse and hadn't been to for a long time. Admittedly, much smaller than this. It was interesting to see the same names and a few additional ones still conversing -- civilly -- about their cycling topics after... five or six years. The list is very basic, and doesn't have the advertising or whizzbangs here -- and it is very fast for someone on dial-up like I am. It's also quite well self-moderated, with the owner intervening very rarely.

I frankly doubt whether the owners of this site have a clue as to why people no longer participate here, and why the people who do, remain. Yet having that knowledge is fundamental to marketing and advertising development, and assessing whether behaviour standards should be reassessed.
Old 04-25-08, 11:37 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some of the ads served up are certainly not reaching their target, no argument there. But that's an unfortunate result of the fact that the internet can't always be 100% free, (we have a lot of traffic) and this site is hardly run as a non-profit. The bigger irony here is that bikerplanet is probably throwing money out the window on their ads here. I guess I'd need to know what else is considered inappropriate to new users.

The Aussies (that were chased away by a former admin, and now have a new home) had the biggest and most popular thread on the site. From an advertising viewpoint, they were gold. So valuable in fact, that they were openly welcomed at another site, simply for the traffic they will provide. And they've cleaned up the language too.

As far as active users, unless you know how that figure is determined, it's rather arbitrary. In three clicks, I can easily change it to be higher or lower.
Old 04-25-08, 11:42 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I frankly doubt whether the owners of this site have a clue as to why people no longer participate here, and why the people who do, remain. Yet having that knowledge is fundamental to marketing and advertising development, and assessing whether behaviour standards should be reassessed.
Rowan, I know we briefly discussed your employment years ago, and I'm pretty sure there was no mention of internet advertising. Not knocking your lifestyle, (a bit envious, actually) but you should no sooner practice surgery on a friend than make a statement like the quote above.
Old 04-26-08, 08:14 PM
seppomadness

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Rowan
The downgrading of standards hasn't been good. Unfortunately, the worst examples of camouflaged vulgarity have come from the top; from a now almost thankfully impotent group of rampaging Australians who thought they were all grown up using foul language at every opportunity; and a certain forum where using this type of language seems to be "hip".

The most offending ad is the bikerplanet one, which doesn't even apply to cycling!

It all perhaps explains why the active membership is less than 17% of the total membership here. If I was running this business as a world-wide enterprise, I would be seriously wondering why I wasn't able to retain more customers than that.
Rowan I have no doubt you were a lesbian in a former life.

Old 04-26-08, 08:21 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seppomadness
Rowan I have no doubt you were a lesbian in a former life.
Could you clarify that?

East Hill
Old 04-26-08, 08:32 PM
seppomadness

Originally Posted by East Hill
Could you clarify that?

East Hill
I'm hitting on Rowan. The smooth tone of Barry White is playing in the background. I think I'm in with a shot here. Any tips?

Old 04-26-08, 08:35 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm hitting on Rowan. The smooth tone of Barry White is playing in the background. I think I'm in with a shot here. Any tips?
It sounds as if you have far more experience with that than I do .

East Hill
Old 04-26-08, 08:40 PM
seppomadness

Originally Posted by East Hill
It sounds as if you have far more experience with that than I do .

East Hill
Its a dangerous game. Lesbian's are tricky. One wrong move and you get a fist in the face. I'm taking it slow with Rowan. He is feisty.

Old 04-26-08, 08:42 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes. Make your moves via PM. His lady might scratch your eyes out otherwise.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 04-26-08, 08:47 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
Yes. Make your moves via PM. His lady might scratch your eyes out otherwise.
And since she can outcycle you with her eyes closed, I think you will need those peepers.

East Hill
Old 04-26-08, 08:48 PM
tinydr

edited...

Last edited by tinydr; 05-03-08 at 08:38 AM.

Old 04-26-08, 08:51 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tinydr

I admit I didn't really read the user agreement that carefully, although I have tried to follow the rule about not directly insulting other people. East Hill I'm afraid I don't have an income, so you'll have to get your duly earned payout from the others... but I should probably get myself banned (maybe for not paying the required fee to EH) before 2010; no offense to her but I want to buy bikes for myself and others... not facilitate anyone else's buys.

Just leave me an appropriate sum in your will. Or, if you ride tiny bikes, leave those to me .

East Hill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.