Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

figuring out mileage for a route

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 05:40 AM
sriley4290

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so I am not even sure how to search for what I am asking so I am sorry if this is duplicated. i am looking for a website or app that will allow me to go to a map, and draw the route I want to take and it figure out the mileage for me. there is a new loop I am looking at riding, but I need to know how far the loop is to be able to account for time. I have heard of websites, but haven't found one yet. Does anyone know of a website or app like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 09-11-15, 05:56 AM
68venable

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale Criterium SR500

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Strava.com
Old 09-11-15, 06:14 AM
sriley4290

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did some more research and found mapmydistance.com
click the route, and it will allow snapping to roads. very nice little website. I will also look at Strava. Thanks venable
Old 09-11-15, 06:54 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Strava, and Map My Ride both do that. Also, Google maps will do it and has a bicycle feature though not quite as much info as Strava or MMR. All are free to use. With MMR or Strava you can print out the cue sheet.
Old 09-11-15, 07:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
ridewithgps.com

You won't get all the clutter that mapmyride gives you. Here is an example. It's a tour route I have planned for next year:

MONTANA 2016 - Orchard Homes, MT
Old 09-11-15, 07:27 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
You should start with ridewithgps.com. It's very good at designing routes, with hill grades shown, undo-redo options for trying alternate roads, a running total of mileage and elevation, etc. And you can use the "Find" tab to look for other routes in your area.

I found ridewithgps way better than mapmyride some years ago. Perhaps mapmyride has improved, but I still find viewing other rider's mapmyride routes to be slow and annoying.

I wrote up a ridewithgps review in 2013 in this thread.

~~~

For just estimating distances before designing a route in detail, I use google maps with the bicycle setting. The routes it picks aren't always the best choice, but I can get a quick idea of the mileage between two points, and zoom in to check some of the roads. Then I go to ridewithgps to draw the actual route.

Strava Heatmap
For unknown areas, I like to browse the Strava Heatmap. (it changes the URL as you zoom and pan the map, so you can bookmark that part of the map.)

It's a map of all the rides uploaded from the last few years. Blue is somewhat traveled, red is commonly traveled. As you zoom in, more lightly traveled side roads get colored in. Fun to browse.

Some of the heatmap's "popular" roads are ridden because they are the only reasonable choice in that area, and may be kind of annoying to ride. And it will show the locally famous steep climbs that most riders avoid. But most of the red roads are great for biking.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-11-15 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-11-15, 07:59 AM
WebFootFreak

Bikes: Modified Denali

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Google Maps will do in a pinch as well. Mapped out 50.8 for last monday. Ended up with 52.0 after making a wrong turn...
Old 09-11-15, 08:07 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Also, Microsoft Streets & Trips but you have to buy it.
Old 09-11-15, 08:12 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by sriley4290
so I am not even sure how to search for what I am asking so I am sorry if this is duplicated. i am looking for a website or app that will allow me to go to a map, and draw the route I want to take and it figure out the mileage for me. there is a new loop I am looking at riding, but I need to know how far the loop is to be able to account for time. I have heard of websites, but haven't found one yet. Does anyone know of a website or app like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
I follow a mileage based training schedule, and it’s hard to trace out routes on MapMyRide for example, with the crazy, haphazard web-like roadways around here. I have a very good, nicely scaled AAA paper roadmap of Metro Boston. Using my home as a center point I have drawn concentric arcs of 10, 20, and 30 miles around it, so I can estimate where to go to fullfill my mileage quota. Of course I can always just ride half the distance, then back the same route.

I did keep a spreadsheet of mileages amd routes as a reference to select routes. After years of riding, and with increased emphasis on speed than miles, I can usually sufficiently estimate the mileage on an intended route.
Old 09-11-15, 08:17 AM
sriley4290

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow Jim, that is pretty cool. one day I would like to have a map of Atlanta metro and highlight all of the roads I have ridden in North Ga.
Old 09-11-15, 08:41 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I use Google Maps.
Old 09-11-15, 10:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by sriley4290
wow Jim, that is pretty cool. one day I would like to have a map of Atlanta metro and highlight all of the roads I have ridden in North Ga.
Try AAA or ask a friend who is a member for a map from an AAA business office. They seemed to have Metropolitan maps of all the major cities I have visited. They are free to members, and the scale is such that they encompass a wide area, yet detailed enough to show good cycling roads. I have even planned Century rides using the Metro Boston map.

One problem I have had using them en route is that I have to find my location on the map. This is my first year riding with a smartphone (I 6+) with GPS that will immediately show me my position on the map.
Old 09-11-15, 10:23 AM
sriley4290

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Try AAA or ask a friend who is a member for a map from an AAA business office. They seemed to have Metropolitan maps of all the major cities I have visited. They are free to members, and the scale is such that they encompass a wide area, yet detailed enough to show good cycling roads. I have even planned Century rides using the Metro Boston map.

One problem I have had using them en route is that I have to find my location on the map. This is my first year riding with a smartphone (I 6+) with GPS that will immediately show me my position on the map.
very cool Jim, thank you for the information. I do know people who are members of AAA. I have been using MMR since I started riding a year and a half ago. I use it for almost every ride I do no matter how short. just created my first route on it today. I do like the create a route feature on the website.
Old 09-11-15, 11:02 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
It might be similar to some already mentioned, but I like a website called gmaps pedometer. It's not affiliated with Google AFAIK, but I believe it uses Google maps on the backend. Simple to use, just click at reference points from start to finish...you can switch from "snap to road" to "line of sight" during a route, which is handy if you do a little off road.
Old 09-11-15, 11:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Old way Dividers .. use the scale in the corner of the map to set the dividers width between points.
then use the distance transferred to the line of the Road , and walk off the distance with the dividers .
Old 09-11-15, 01:39 PM
rollwithme

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Google Maps has an overlay option for bicycles....showing dedicated trails, lanes, "bicycle friendly" streets, etc.
Old 09-13-15, 08:43 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have used google maps, I use google maps all the time for everything so might as well for biking too. Turn-by-turn navigation while on the bike too for unfamiliar routes. Problem is I need to draw it on the computer (since you need mouse to grab the route and drag it onto particular roads since it defaults to fastest options which you likely wont be biking) and then transfer it to my phone (via email link usually). I wish there was a way to create the route on the phone too incase I am on the go and don't have time to do it on pc ahead of time. Does anyone know if there is a way to do that on a phone?

I've heard you can also with Endomondo which I use, but never tried its route creating features yet.