Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chain"slipping when shifting into low

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 02:49 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts

I am about ready for Eroica with my ItalVega . I just mounted the freewheel I got from Pastor Bob with a 28 tooth low
and set the FD/RD to shift smoothly and it worked great on the stand. I went out to the street and noticed that the chain seems to "slip " before actually engaging the large rear cog. I noticed this before with the 26 tooth low freewheel but now that I am challenging some steep hills behind my house in preparation for Eroica it seems more annoying and pronounced. If I shift slowly well ahead of time it seems to be better. If I wait until I really need to down shift it is not good at all! Once I had to do a circle down hill, shift it into gear and then continue the climb. I am running the Nuovo Record RD and FD with a 41 tooth low up front and 53 high. I am suspecting that the new chain I bought at my LBS might be the problem and I am not sure how to determine the cause of the problem or what the correct chain measurements should be for the 5 speed freewheels. I measured with calipers and the new chain measures about .010" narrower than the Regina chain on my other bike I had at the house. Joe

Last edited by Kabuki12; 03-05-19 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-05-19, 06:23 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 491 Posts
You should be using an 8-speed chain. Is that what they sold you? 9 and 10 speed chains may still work but might cause some of the symptoms you describe. Also, if you're using a 5-speed freewheel there's a fairly big "no man's land" between gears where slippage as you describe is a relatively normal thing where there are big jumps between gears. Not sure what you can do about that.
Old 03-05-19, 06:35 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
My 6 speed freewheel works much better with a 8-speed chain. I also have to let off the pressure on the crank for it to shift smoothly. If I do not there is a hesitation and then a sudden hard thunk when the chain engages the teeth.
Old 03-05-19, 06:37 PM
Raleigh74

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Professional, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Nishiki Medalist, '85 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB, '81 Peugeot Course, '79 Univega Gran Rally, '85 Torpado Super Strada

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Have you doubled checked the cable tension and hanger/derailleur alignment? Even small differences have caused me problems at the extreme gears of the freewheel.
Old 03-05-19, 08:15 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
It sounds like you are using one of the European-made freewheels, some of which turn out to be very slippy during shifting events when modern (as wide as 7-8s) chains are used.

Past a certain date, perhaps 1970 or so, bikes like the Schwinn Varsity used Japanese-made freewheels, but I have noticed that on the earlier ones with European-made freewheels, I can not count on the shifting to work right (without slippage) if I install a modern chain of any kind.

Modern chain does work well on certain of the European freewheels, even some of the older ones, but on many it does not work well at all.
A good choice in some such situations is to try a Sedisport chain (no, not one of the post-sedisport sachs/sedis chains).
The Sedisport allows the benefits of narrower chain, and often works well on older European freewheels (even using older derailers having a larger chain gap in certain gears, mainly because it is stiffer than the later chains).

Last edited by dddd; 03-05-19 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-05-19, 08:51 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I am suspecting that the new chain I bought at my LBS might be the problem...
When you say "slip", do you mean the chain jumps over a tooth on the cog?
Generally, when everything was working, then you install a new chain and suddenly have this problem, that is the proof one (or more) cogs is worn out.
Old 03-05-19, 09:02 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Generally, when everything was working, then you install a new chain and suddenly have this problem, that is the proof one (or more) cogs is worn out.
That was the case for me when I replaced the chain on a Shimano 105 6 speed freewheel. The new chain and freewheel were fine when on the work stand, but when I took the bike out to ride it the slippage was horrendous. I posted on Bikeforums and a member suggested that very issue. I found a used but almost like new freewheel on ebay. When I switched out the old freewheel with the replacement it all worked great. I believe I tried a 9 speed chain at some point, but it did not work as well as the 8 speed.
Old 03-06-19, 05:03 AM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
It feels like the chain is between gears and "skates " along or slips before actually picking up the rear cog. The condition was there before I changed freewheels and I really don't know before I changed chains as I just resurrected this bike from the dead. The old chain was really rusty so I never got a chance to tell. The new freewheel is pristine as it just came from the freewheel Spa . The old freewheel is in very good condition but shows use. They both "slip". I am wondering if I change the chain from one of my other bikes to see if that helps? Joe
Old 03-06-19, 05:13 AM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by Raleigh74
Have you doubled checked the cable tension and hanger/derailleur alignment? Even small differences have caused me problems at the extreme gears of the freewheel.
I have done a visual and it seems good. There is no sign of any trauma to the derailleur hanger, the dropout seems to be in good order. The RD seems to follow well when shifting on the stand and the rear cog picks up the shift quickly. It is just under pressure like approaching a hill that this happens . It seems to be when I am using either of the front sprockets so I don't think it is a chain line issue. Joe
Old 03-06-19, 03:24 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Try one or more different chains and let us know how that works.

It's the free slippage that pretty much tells me that this isn't a case of worn-out cogs, and that this freewheel came from a freewheel pro is redundant evidence of same at this point.

I'll repeat here that I believe that possibly Sedisport or (especially) older wide (~8mm width) derailer chain is able to fix this problem on this particular freewheel.

What exact chain and freewheel are you now having this problem with? Some modern chains have more-pronounced tooth-catching features than others, so it might still be possible to use modern chain for it's various other advantages.

Last edited by dddd; 03-06-19 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 03:35 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
It feels like the chain is between gears and "skates " along or slips before actually picking up the rear cog. The condition was there before I changed freewheels and I really don't know before I changed chains as I just resurrected this bike from the dead. The old chain was really rusty so I never got a chance to tell. The new freewheel is pristine as it just came from the freewheel Spa . The old freewheel is in very good condition but shows use. They both "slip". I am wondering if I change the chain from one of my other bikes to see if that helps? Joe

I have a maillard hylicomatic that does this. I've ridden with it for a year and I've unconsciously altered my shifting distances. It barely ever skates now, but if I try I can easily find that in between gear place. It's still annoying though because the rare time it does skate is when I want to get out of an intersection with alacrity.
Old 03-06-19, 03:54 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Joe, so sorry you are encountering this issue. The freewheel is a Regina, correct? I don't believe this has been suggested, but since this only occurs on the largest sprocket, try moving the low limit screw in order that the RD over shoots towards the spokes ever so slightly--- but not enough to jump the sprocket and end up in the spokes or the protector. You'd need to trim to stop the chatter after the shift. I just find that a NR or Rally RDs needs to always "over shift" ever so slightly on some larger gears. I hope this helps.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 03-06-19, 04:54 PM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly

I have a maillard hylicomatic that does this. I've ridden with it for a year and I've unconsciously altered my shifting distances. It barely ever skates now, but if I try I can easily find that in between gear place. It's still annoying though because the rare time it does skate is when I want to get out of an intersection with alacrity.
I will swap chains out this weekend and give it a try after it drys out around here. I am 80% sure that is the problem. I think they sold me a 9 or 10 speed chain. Joe
Old 03-06-19, 04:58 PM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Joe, so sorry you are encountering this issue. The freewheel is a Regina, correct? I don't believe this has been suggested, but since this only occurs on the largest sprocket, try moving the low limit screw in order that the RD over shoots towards the spokes ever so slightly--- but not enough to jump the sprocket and end up in the spokes or the protector. You'd need to trim to stop the chatter after the shift. I just find that a NR or Rally RDs needs to always "over shift" ever so slightly on some larger gears. I hope this helps.
Yes , Regina Corsa I believe. I am pretty sure it is the chain as it did this with the Regina Oro as well. I have not had this problem with any of my other bikes , all with similar set ups. The Kabuki and the other bikes shift very nicely , especialy the Windsor. For some reason that bike shifts very well. Same year and I can't remember the freewheel it has. maybe old well loved chains are better?I will try your suggestion when I swap out chains. Joe

Last edited by Kabuki12; 03-06-19 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 05:10 PM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by dddd
Try one or more different chains and let us know how that works.

It's the free slippage that pretty much tells me that this isn't a case of worn-out cogs, and that this freewheel came from a freewheel pro is redundant evidence of same at this point.

I'll repeat here that I believe that possibly Sedisport or (especially) older wide (~8mm width) derailer chain is able to fix this problem on this particular freewheel.

What exact chain and freewheel are you now having this problem with? Some modern chains have more-pronounced tooth-catching features than others, so it might still be possible to use modern chain for it's various other advantages.
I really think you are right. It is still pretty wet around here. I plan to ride this Sunday and I am going to put the Regina chain from my Kabuki on it and go for a ride . Along with Pastor Bob's suggestion of a slight over shift , I think(hope!) the problem will go away. Joe
Old 03-06-19, 08:16 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

You might want to take Bob's advice first, as just a turn of the screw might(?) be all it needs.
(Hopefully you can do that and a quick road-test well before Sunday's ride.)
And if that works, as I've said before, the modern chains do have their advantages (more clearance at the front derailer cage, tolerant of scant lubrication, less friction, lighter, etc.).