Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

A question about tandem cycling clubs

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 03:43 PM
brave17

Bikes: Trek Marlin 7 (MTB), Lapierre Sensium 3.0 (Road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts

Hi everyone. I was wondering if there are any cycling clubs for tandem cycling in the US (esp. Northeast). The reason I'm asking is that I've been living in Turkey for a while and there's an NGO here (called Espedal Dernegi) that has a unique mission: enable blind people to cycle, so they can enjoy the wind, the freedom as we do while we cycle. I attend their group rides from time to time, and I would very much like to do so in the US.

Last edited by brave17; 08-10-23 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-05-23, 06:34 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
I can't speak specifically to tandem clubs in the Northeast, but there are groups that provide cycling opportunities for people with special needs, such as people with low or no vision. One that I just learned about recently is in Portland, Maine. The Portland Wheelers website is https://portlandwheelers.org/

There are also similar organizations throughout the USA. Adaptive cycling is the term for helping folks cycling with all types of physical challenges, not just low vision.

Hope you're able to find a group that you can participate in.
Likes For honcho:
Old 08-05-23, 09:33 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
we have one in portland but its mostly retired people. they usually ride Sunday's Monday's at 8:30 to 9 am so its not practical for us most of the time. Plus we have bee really tired for awhile and it's 16 round trip just to get to the ride.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 08-05-23, 09:43 PM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
In San Diego County we have a large club very similar to what you describe
www.blindstokerclub.org
Likes For ahultin:
Old 08-05-23, 09:45 PM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Ny based
https://www.intandembike.org/
Likes For ahultin:
Old 08-05-23, 11:16 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I met my now wife in NYC and she was a member of the Achilles International Blind Athletes Club. They are all over the country ... the world actually, and promote mainly running, but also cycling, canoeing and other pursuits where blind participants need sighted guidance. We used one of their three tandem bicycles on our second date but found it poorly maintained. A shame because it was a nice bike otherwise. A fairly recent Fuji Absolute tandem. Ironically, when we moved to Portland, OR and became members of the Portland Tandem Club we did not find another sighted Captain/blind Stoker configuration in any of the 25 teams that were members at the time (2008 - 2012). Even if there isn't a dedicated tandem club where the o.p. calls home in the U.S., there will likely be a chapter of Achilles International. Best of luck.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 08-06-23, 09:51 PM
brave17

Bikes: Trek Marlin 7 (MTB), Lapierre Sensium 3.0 (Road)

Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ahultin
Ny based
thanks a lot! I’ll contact them to become a captain.
Old 08-15-23, 11:04 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
I'm not sure where in the northeast you are located. There is a New England based tandem group called NEWTS (The New England Wicked Tandem Society). The are very informal using a Facebook Group and a Google Group. You could reach out to them.
Old 08-18-23, 07:57 AM
RoulezTandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
In Massachusetts a nonprofit called All Out Adventures runs cycling and kayaking programs every week in varied locations, for the visually and physically impaired. They are always looking for volunteers for setup and Captain hosts. My wife has ridden with them several times. A huge array of up to date cool adaptive tandems. They are a shop and dealer, and obtained a recumbent adaptive tandem for friends of ours.