Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mount derailleur on horizontal dropouts?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 09:16 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts

I’m looking at buying a frame to convert to my indoor trainer bike. Browsing local offerings I found a cool old bike that fits me and looks cool with a fresh coat of powder. I like shiny things.

Is there an adapter, claw, or whatever to do this? I’ll be running 11sp rear. This looks like 70’s to me, I was wearing diapers then.

It’s 126mm and it’ll stretch. It fits. I have a spare fork. It’s all I need for some video game action. Can I make this beast shift?

Old 02-21-24, 09:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Most low end derailleurs come with claws attached fir this kind of frame. They should be good enough for trainer use.

OTOH, if you already have a derailleur, or want something nicer search "derailleur mounting claw" and you'll find exactly what you need for a few bucks.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-21-24, 09:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Most low end derailleurs come with claws attached fir this kind of frame. They should be good enough for trainer use.

OTOH, if you already have a derailleur, or want something nicer search "derailleur mounting claw" and you'll find exactly what you need for a few bucks.
Can he find a low end derailleur with claw that will span 11 cogs? That's a lot of reach. Edit: a claw will mean that derailleur needs to reach in addition the the thickness s of the hanger to shift to the biggest cog.

A way to do this would be to get a second claw. Cut both to make a top that extends 1/2" below the dropout and a bottom that stops just below the dropout. Clamp them together to form a single hanger that now hangs where an integral hanger would be. Drill the overlap for 2 bolts. Not simple. The inside would need to be clean, so perhaps countersunk for the bolt heads. The attachment has to be rock solid. Failure here will be very expensive. Locktite red + lock washers.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 02-21-24 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-21-24, 09:57 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Here is Shimano's frame spec recommendation for SIS. Note that the angle measurements is from axle to BB line. Also note the position of the axle in front of the RD mount position.
This is older info so pre-11 speed. Don't know if it matters.

Old 02-21-24, 10:50 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Is this doo-hickey a "claw?" Never heard it called that. You need one of these, anyway.

Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 02-21-24, 11:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Is this doo-hickey a "claw?" Never heard it called that. You need one of these, anyway.

Yes, it's a claw, as in claw mount derailleur.

And many have the built in offset (like the one pictured) so the RD is in the same place it would be with a built in hanger.

The OP has plenty of options, and if this is to be only used on a trainer, he doesn't need to spend much.
Old 02-22-24, 01:51 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Which trainer do you have? If on the offchance it’s a kickr core (but not for some reason right now the full fat kickr), you can use Zwift’s virtual shifting on that now and don’t need a derailleur.
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-22-24, 04:23 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I presume you don't have thru axles? That would complicate it. I ran bikes with 'claws' like that for years; can't see any reason it wouldn't work with 11-speed.
Old 02-22-24, 09:56 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Cool, it’s possible.

Now I’m having the dilemma of “why”. I have a perfectly suited road bike that almost never gets used due to the gravel and MTB nature of most of the rides here. It just seems a little too nice for trainer duty.
Old 02-22-24, 10:03 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
I can mail you a claw, like the one pictured in my comment.
Only it lacks the fixing bolt & nut. It would work fine, as long as you clamp in the wheel.
Feel to PM me with your address.
Old 02-22-24, 11:42 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Cool, it’s possible.

Now I’m having the dilemma of “why”. I have a perfectly suited road bike that almost never gets used due to the gravel and MTB nature of most of the rides here. It just seems a little too nice for trainer duty.
I tend to follow this logic. But for a trainer bike, I’d get one I didn’t need to fiddle with. Not worth the effort to go nowhere on it.

John
Old 02-24-24, 09:41 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
You may run into issue with the hanger nut to the cassette lock ring when using the claw with modern equipment
Old 02-25-24, 09:48 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Is this doo-hickey a "claw?" Never heard it called that.
It used to be just a derailleur hanger, but then aluminium frames and a hundred different sorts of derailleur hanger emerged, and it was helpful to differentiate this from those.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 02-25-24, 11:36 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by grumpus
It used to be just a derailleur hanger, but then aluminium frames and a hundred different sorts of derailleur hanger emerged, and it was helpful to differentiate this from those.
We called derailleurs with that part, like the Shimano Eagle, "claw mount" going back to the late sixties.

So. "Claw" is basically a retronym coming into play when the part is sold without the POS derailleur attached.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-28-24, 01:05 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts

Yes, I use a derailleur with that integral with it (riveted on), for my folder with no conventional rear derailleur mount. Mine also has the punch mark at the slot radius, which puts a significant protrusion on the back side, to line up in horizontal dropouts to help keep from rotating. However, my bike has vertical dropouts so mounting with that would have caused the hanger to be laterally crooked, so I first ground that off on the backside to flush, spot of paint, then mounted on the bike under the axle nut, oriented by eye. The bolt and nut are also suppose to fit into a horizontal dropout, had to discard for mine, so when the wheel is off, the derailleur is just hanging in mid-air, not ideal, but it works. I tried using the bolt hole to one of the threaded rack eyelets, but it resulted in the claw being under only half the axle nut, I didn't like that asymmetrical loading, so removed the bolt and put the claw back fully under the axle nut.