Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you ride mountain and road?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-16, 12:11 PM
jakefromst8farm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What sort of goals do you lay out for yourself for a year of riding? Miles? Hours? Kind of feeling ambitious for riding in 2017 but not sure how to goal set for these very different kinds of riding.
Old 11-24-16, 12:24 PM
yak bacon pie
Banned

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similar goals for both.

Have fun. And have fun.
Old 11-24-16, 12:34 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by yak bacon pie
Similar goals for both.

Have fun. And have fun.
Me too, me too
Old 11-24-16, 01:04 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 139 Posts
Yeah, I ride both.

I don't really set specific goals other to improve as a rider and have fun.
Old 11-24-16, 02:46 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
My goal for 2016 was to get all my bikes into a better rotation. Most weeks I'm out 6 days a week weather permitting until after Thanksgiving when work goes crazy and I won't see a bike until 2017. I made sure I was on my Mountain, and Time Trial bike's at least once a week. I pulled out the Single Speed bike at least once every other week, and the Road bike got the remainder of the work. I did find myself pulling the Mtn. and TT bike out more than once a week often quite often. I really have had a fun cycle season and am so looking forward to a great 2017.
Old 11-24-16, 04:26 PM
jakefromst8farm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
My goal for 2016 was to get all my bikes into a better rotation. Most weeks I'm out 6 days a week weather permitting until after Thanksgiving when work goes crazy and I won't see a bike until 2017. I made sure I was on my Mountain, and Time Trial bike's at least once a week. I pulled out the Single Speed bike at least once every other week, and the Road bike got the remainder of the work. I did find myself pulling the Mtn. and TT bike out more than once a week often quite often. I really have had a fun cycle season and am so looking forward to a great 2017.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvSZbelMe-A
That's a cool goal and a good way to make sure you're keeping active in both activities. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-24-16, 04:43 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jakefromst8farm
What sort of goals do you lay out for yourself for a year of riding? Miles? Hours? Kind of feeling ambitious for riding in 2017 but not sure how to goal set for these very different kinds of riding.
First ... what is your purpose or goal? Competition, recreation, fitness? How much time do you have to devote to riding in total? What mix of the two disciplines have you done so far? Do you have one that you like better?
Old 11-24-16, 06:35 PM
jakefromst8farm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
First ... what is your purpose or goal? Competition, recreation, fitness? How much time do you have to devote to riding in total? What mix of the two disciplines have you done so far? Do you have one that you like better?
Purpose is recreation and fitness.
I can devote average 1 - 1.5 hours per day but tend to take some longer 3-5 hour mountain rides about once a week. Mountain biking would be my preference. I primarily road bike for commuting purposes but want to get into it from a recreational angle since the weather kills my mountain biking plans sometimes.
Old 11-24-16, 08:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
If you don't have a written plan then you don't have a goal. All you have is a dream.

A goal has to be measurable, achievable and realistic.

-Tim-
Old 11-25-16, 02:03 AM
jakefromst8farm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
If you don't have a written plan then you don't have a goal. All you have is a dream.

-Tim-
I agree. I'm just not sure how to quantify the goal between the two types of riding which is why I was hoping to gain some insight into how others do it.
Old 11-25-16, 02:42 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I ride long distances on the road ... so that's my main goal structure.

I've been working on climbing on the road ... so that's next.

And then I do other sorts of riding ... touring, a bit of mountain biking, maybe some beach rides, etc. and I just kind of toss them into the mix when I want something different.
Old 11-25-16, 08:57 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 107 Posts
Mostly road, and I had a goal of 4000 miles this years. I've reached it, so now I might just do more mountain biking. I can retain more heat on a mountain bike than my road bikes, and this is the key to enjoying our colder Michigan months.
Old 11-25-16, 10:25 AM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 132 Posts
I own a road bike. I know it's around here somewhere.
Old 11-25-16, 10:31 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 139 Posts

-Tim-
I'm going to disagree on the written part. You can definitely have a goal and a plan in your head that's still measurable, achievable, and realistic.

I.E. I can set a mileage goal for the year, and my computer will tell me if I hit it or not. I don't need a note thumbtacked to the wall to remember what my goal is.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 11-25-16 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-25-16, 10:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have a Mountain bike I ride on the road, My town is built over a steep Hill many would consider a Mountain

if it did not have a street grid covering It.

I'm Probably 2~3 X your age too ..

Old 11-25-16, 10:43 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts

-Tim-
Quit sounding like someone from HR Goals are things that other people tell you that you have to do and that you have to demonstrate by achieving them and measuring them.

Dreams are things you want to do for yourself and no one can tell you that you have to do them. If they come to true perhaps they were a goal. If they don't, there's aways next year.

Look down there ⬇️ to see a whole lot of dreams that were never written down so that they could be measured but became real nevertheless.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-25-16, 11:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
What sort of goals do you lay out for yourself for a year of riding? Miles? Hours?
I don't understand these kinds of goals. I mean, I understand why Garmin and Strava offer them as trackable goals, because they're easy to track, but riding some number of miles isn't my ambition, and it's hard for me to see how that's what's most important to anyone.

For MTB, I want to do the Angels Staircase loop. For road, Slate Peak and some other stuff. For running, a 7 minute mile.
Old 11-25-16, 12:04 PM
jakefromst8farm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't understand these kinds of goals. I mean, I understand why Garmin and Strava offer them as trackable goals, because they're easy to track, but riding some number of miles isn't my ambition, and it's hard for me to see how that's what's most important to anyone.

For MTB, I want to do the Angels Staircase loop. For road, Slate Peak and some other stuff. For running, a 7 minute mile.
The reason (at least in my case) people set these goals is that by committing to a certain number of miles per week or year or whatever, I am guaranteeing I will ride more. Sometimes I shirk riding for something easier when I am tired from work or something so this is a way to make myself feel more inclined to ride more consistently and in a broader range of hours, weather and situations. Just a little self motivation is all it is. And there is a sense of accomplishment that comes from achieving goals like this that take dedication over a period of time. I understand why others may not set goals the same way I do, and that's the entire reason for this thread. I am curious how others do it.
Old 11-25-16, 01:02 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I ride both and used to track mileage, but now I track time. I shoot for between 8-12 hours a week.

Old 11-25-16, 01:09 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
What sort of goals do you lay outfor yourself for a year of riding? Miles? Hours? Kind of feeling ambitious for riding in 2017 but not sure how to goal set for these very different kinds of riding.

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
I'm going to disagree on the written part. You can definitely have a goal and a plan in your head that's still measurable,achievable, and realistic.

I.E. I can set a mileage goal for the year, and my computer will tell me if I hit it or not. I don't need a note thumbtacked to the wall to remember what my goal is.
To each his own, but I’m a data wonk, and I find a graphic chart of my mileage-to-date to be a satisfying and effective motivator.

My annual goal as a busy professional and family man is 5000 road miles per year nearly entirely by commuting (no mountain biking), never attained. My current miles-to-date are at least 2700 miles (since some short trips are not recorded and some trips are estimates). For reference, I have considered a hard core cyclist (and one probably less encumbered) does 10,000 miles per year.

On my spread sheet, I have a field entitled “excuses,” most often working late, and a bout of plantar fasciitis.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-25-16 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-25-16, 07:29 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
To each his own, but I’m a data wonk, and I find a graphic chart of my mileage-to-date to be a satisfying and effective motivator.
A few decades ago I worked as an editor for Bicycling Magazine. I wrote this story about a guy who documents and spreadsheets every ride. It was satire, but when I pitched it at an editorial meeting, every head swiveled to one senior editor. Who. Was. Not. Amused.

He knew ever inch he had ridden in his life, and the average speed.

So I got fired for making fun of spreadsheet riding data. (I still think it's a joke. Read the story.)
Old 11-26-16, 07:45 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You have options, it isn't an either or type of situation. Ride both, or if funds don't allow 2 bikes, get a mtb and ride it on the road too.
We are talking about bicycles, a simple machine that is easy for most people to ride so let's not overthink them, but enjoy them.
I hope the OP gets out and rides to his content, on whichever discipline he chooses.
Old 11-26-16, 08:53 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,235 Posts
When I meet people who start talking about their cycling goals and accomplishments and data = i usually seek other conversations.

People who talk about their bikes and where they ride offer me more enjoyment.

My main goal is 'saddle time'. 5X per week in most months. More specific goals come up based on seasonal needs, ie = work up to that magical century mark, prepare for a tour with lots of climbing, get better with skinny tires on fire roads, etc.
Old 11-26-16, 02:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I don't set firm goals because my schedule... isn't a schedule at all. My weeks are too erratic to plan anything. I'd be setting myself up for disappointment trying to commit to a written plan for cycling, which is my respite from a stressful job.

When I resumed cycling last year my only goal was to avoid going more than two days without riding unless I was sick. I know from previous experience, and watching most folks who give up on their resolutions to exercise, if people begin to stretch out those intervals between workouts to longer than a couple of days they'll soon stop exercising at all. Usually I've stuck to that, riding every other day or about 3-4 times a week. That's about all I have time for and it's worked out.

And I set small personal challenges, such as getting comfortable riding off road. Hated anything but smooth pavement when I rode 30 years ago. We don't have mountains here but I do occasionally tackle some rough patches of gravel, whatever I can find, just to get more confidence off the paved roads.
Old 11-26-16, 03:58 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
For road I prefer to stay above 4 w/kg but for mountain and cx I just ride for fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.