Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Custom 'Urban Grinder' Ti frame input wanted

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 10:48 PM
Keiffith

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Im having a custom bike built since what i want isnt on the market.

This is what im coining as a 'urban grinder'. Meant to ride at high speeds easily as well as take routes off limits to a standard road bike. 650b and 200mm travel dropper seat post.

What are your thoughts on the geometry, and the durability of an all road carbon fork jumping 2ft on 650b 47c tires?
Old 09-21-18, 11:58 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Jumping 2 feet? On a rigid frame/carbon fork? Maybe on a fatbike...
Old 09-22-18, 12:19 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Never have too many bikes.
1 to do it all is tough.
you might be happier in the long run
with 2
a light weight roady/gravel grinder/cycling-cross type & a mt bike.

Old 09-22-18, 12:46 AM
Keiffith

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
Never have too many bikes.
1 to do it all is tough.
you might be happier in the long run
with 2
a light weight roady/gravel grinder/cycling-cross type & a mt bike.

This is for commuting. The only compromise im making is a dropper post if i was going for a 'roady'.

I have had a 700c road with 28c tires for 6 months for commuting. I hate riding it long periods due to back pain. The bigger tires are to give me the supple life and reduce the shock at the saddle that's causing my discomfort. The roads in my area are rarely smooth.
Old 09-22-18, 04:29 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I love the awesome looking sloping top tube and the fantastic standover height! All bikes should come with such standover clearance !
Old 09-22-18, 06:03 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Jumping 2 feet isn't a huge problem. Your tires should be fat enough. Landing it with drop bars is a whole new level though.

It seems that you want a gravel bike with a dropper post. Not the end of the earth Earth as far as custom goes.

Something to keep in mind though. It'll be a little slower than a road bike. Not nearly as nimble as a small framed mountain bike.

So high speed on the road and jumping off loafilo docks. Probably can't have both.
Old 09-22-18, 08:57 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
That's basically a 6550b gravel/bikepacking type bike like the Diamondback Haanjo 5C EXP. That drawing shows generous seat tube clearance with 650/47 tires and short 415mm chainstays. Not sure how realistic that is.
Old 09-22-18, 09:16 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Keiffith
I
What are your thoughts on the geometry, and the durability of an all road carbon fork jumping 2ft on 650b 47c tires?
You'll snap it. Like a twig. Carbon forks, brand name ones that are CPSC/ASTM approved, even heavily built CX alias "gravel" ones are rated for 6" drops. As a matter of standards this is called ASTM "Condition 2"...you need "Condition 3". Which you'll only find on MTB carbon forks, and as such--you'll need MTB geometry due to the much larger axle-crown.

If you're going to be doing parkour on a bike...you want a steel fork.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 09-22-18 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-22-18, 10:59 AM
Keiffith

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Jumping 2 feet isn't a huge problem. Your tires should be fat enough. Landing it with drop bars is a whole new level though.

It seems that you want a gravel bike with a dropper post. Not the end of the earth Earth as far as custom goes.

Something to keep in mind though. It'll be a little slower than a road bike. Not nearly as nimble as a small framed mountain bike.

So high speed on the road and jumping off loafilo docks. Probably can't have both.
Its going to weigh less then my current road bike, so i would imagine that it will atleast not be slower than what im used to.

Originally Posted by Lazyass
That's basically a 6550b gravel/bikepacking type bike like the Diamondback Haanjo 5C EXP. That drawing shows generous seat tube clearance with 650/47 tires and short 415mm chainstays. Not sure how realistic that is.
I did think it was a bit short to fit what i want. Ill aak him to verify.

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
You'll snap it. Like a twig. Carbon forks, brand name ones that are CPSC/ASTM approved, even heavily built CX alias "gravel" ones are rated for 6" drops. As a matter of standards this is called ASTM "Condition 2"...you need "Condition 3". Which you'll only find on MTB carbon forks, and as such--you'll need MTB geometry due to the much larger axle-crown.

If you're going to be doing parkour on a bike...you want a steel fork.
I figured it would survive repeated falls above the 8-6in mark. Thank you for qouting the standards as that's way more helpful then saying just 'it will snap.'
Old 09-22-18, 11:31 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Whiskey #9 Mountain fork is rated "condition 3":

https://whiskyparts.co/forks/no9_mtn_15mm_fork

If you're getting a custom frame, having the ability to use mountain bike forks might make it more versatile.
Old 09-22-18, 12:03 PM
Lazyass

A Cannondale Slate with lefty suspension fork would be a proper bike for the application. Ànd probably cost much less than a custom ti frame.
Old 09-22-18, 12:11 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

A Cannondale Slate with lefty suspension fork would be a proper bike for the application. Ànd probably cost much less than a custom ti frame.
Negative, ghostrider. The Lefty Oliver fork on the Slate is only rated to Condition 2 (6-inch drops or less): https://www.cannondale.com/~/media/F...133320_EN.ashx

Whereas their MTB Lefty forks are Condition 3 or 4, depending: https://www.cannondale.com/~/media/F...%20OMS_EN.ashx
Old 09-22-18, 12:24 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Oh! Titanium fork:

https://www.ticycles.com/store-all/f...ak-29-titanium

You can get that one at a custom length if you don't want MB geometry. $650
Old 09-22-18, 01:17 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I build my own frames and my current gravel bike is very similar to your design. 415 stays with a 47mm tire and 50/34 chainrings is going to be hard to do, especially in Ti because the stays are usually a larger diameter than steel. I have 420mm stays on mine with 60mm of BB drop and the clearances are close. I am using the Whisky No.9 15mm fork and have ridden some pretty rough terrain and drops with it. I don't think I've done any 2' drops yet, but I wouldn't be afraid to send it with this fork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
29396582597_b50e4f3c71_z.jpg (93.8 KB, 91 views)
Old 09-22-18, 01:32 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Geometry looks like this Engin bike, which has the Whisky fork.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 09-22-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-22-18, 01:56 PM
Keiffith

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Oh! Titanium fork:

https://www.ticycles.com/store-all/f...ak-29-titanium

You can get that one at a custom length if you don't want MB geometry. $650
Thanks. I looked high and low for one to use and couldn't find one. Im thinking it will be an upgrade path.
Originally Posted by dsaul
I build my own frames and my current gravel bike is very similar to your design. 415 stays with a 47mm tire and 50/34 chainrings is going to be hard to do, especially in Ti because the stays are usually a larger diameter than steel. I have 420mm stays on mine with 60mm of BB drop and the clearances are close. I am using the Whisky No.9 15mm fork and have ridden some pretty rough terrain and drops with it. I don't think I've done any 2' drops yet, but I wouldn't be afraid to send it with this fork.
Im pretty sure your right about the stays.
i have a similiar fork spec'd. Im thinking i can use it and if i encounter enough circumstances where jumping 2ft becomes a regular thing, ill upgrade to Ti

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Geometry looks like this Engin bike, which has the Whisky fork.

Thats close to the SingleBe killer II that I started with.
Old 09-22-18, 01:58 PM
Lazyass

Negative, ghostrider. The Lefty Oliver fork on the Slate is only rated to Condition 2 (6-inch drops or less): https://www.cannondale.com/~/media/Files/PDF/Dorel/Cannondale/Common/Support/HEADSHOK/LE
Compare a carbon road fork to it.
Old 09-22-18, 02:01 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Compare a carbon road fork to it.
Both will fail if faced with the 2ft drops the op wants to do. So neither is really an option.
Old 09-22-18, 02:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
It seems there are some bikes on the market which would almost work for the OP .... And if I were going off two-foot drops, I'd want the Ti fork ...

How often do you go off two-foot drops?

You do a style of riding i don't, it's clear. Are you looking for a bike with which you can sensibly, comfortably, efficiently commute and till do urban assault/MTB tricks? Do you really want to grind your Ti frame down curbs, walls, and stair rails?
Old 09-22-18, 03:01 PM
Lazyass

Both will fail if faced with the 2ft drops the op wants to do. So neither is really an option.
The videos I've seen of Slates being jumped didn't have forks that failed. And if they do they aren't going to shatter into a thousand pieces.
Old 09-22-18, 03:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Keiffith
This is for commuting.
its for commuting and you need to jump off 2' cliffs? On a tangent to your original post, we need pics of this commute!

its already been discussed what sort of fork you need. Time to change that geometry to accommodate an mtb fork.

dropper post is a unique request.

please post pics once you have it built! It'll be a very unique bike.
Old 09-22-18, 04:16 PM
Keiffith

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
OP says he wants a commuter bike, and also the ability to handle 2' drops. That's some commute!

He should be discussing the bike's ability to handle this kind of riding with his frame builder. At any rate, I agree with the various suggestions that he can achieve his objectives at less expense by not going custom. A thought I had is buying a titanium 650 mountain bike from BD and getting a fork from, say, Visago.

But if he wants a custom, that's good too, and you can't really put a value on a custom frame that does exactly what you want it to do. And I speak from complete inexperience, because I've never been able to justify the expense of a custom frame given my average body build.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
its for commuting and you need to jump off 2' cliffs? On a tangent to your original post, we need pics of this commute!

its already been discussed what sort of fork you need. Time to change that geometry to accommodate an mtb fork.

dropper post is a unique request.

please post pics once you have it built! It'll be a very unique bike.

I am a full time commuter. If im leaving my apartment, im taking my bike. With the exception if the occasional bar visit.

I have seen opportunities where if my bike was up to it, i could take either a shorter, or atleast more fun route.

2ft is a conservative tollerance. Realistically i only need about a foot, but if i encounter a 2ft drop, id like the peice of mind the bike can handle it.

I looked at my options from both mtb and gravel. Nothing with rival 22 in Ti or steel fit the bill. So rather than throw money at a bike post purchase to make it what i want, id rather spend that amount on custom.

The Ti fork that i can order shorter seams wil fit the bill instead of the awkward drop bar with mtb fork look.
Old 09-22-18, 04:23 PM
Lazyass

24 inches isn't much of a jump, especially on 47mm tires. Just be smart and land rear tire first.
Old 09-23-18, 05:17 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Let's take a look at this Unicorn custom builder and what the builder has in mind:

Unicorn Cycles
Old 09-23-18, 10:02 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Let's take a look at this Unicorn custom builder and what the builder has in mind:

Unicorn Cycles
Very uninspiring site. Especially when the Gallery includes a couple of bikes in many settings and a huge number of stufted creatures some of which look like unicorns. Custom Ti for $1400??? Good luck.

I think they have more experience making stuffed animals than bicycles. Not a single word about who they are, what they have built in the past, where they are. Not my kind of custom bike builder. I advise not paying in advance.

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-23-18 at 10:11 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.