Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Moderately priced drops/seat tube for 08 Schwinn Madison?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 12:19 AM
oneeyedhobbit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding a Madison for a bit over a year now. Its all stock save saddle, pedals, and drivetrain (how the f*ck did I wear through a chainring in a year?). I'm looking to ditch a few of these stock parts, and was hoping some of you might have enough experience with the alternatives to guide me!

Seattube: I'm told its super-f***ing heavy. Any reasonably priced ones that will allow me to knock a bit of weight off? Thomson and VO are the only after-market seat posts I've seen hyped around here. As long as its lighter than a lead pipe and lets me set my saddle up comfortably then we win. If there are minimal weight savings to be had here tell me, and thanks for saving me my cash!

Handlebars: I kind of hate these. The drops suck and they're really bloody long. Lets find some comfortable drops, eh? Mostly I cruise around on the tops of the bar (bullhorn style, because the hoods are too far out for comfy cruising on these long bars). When I first bought the bike I lived in the drops. I've thought about bullhorns and haven't ruled em out yet, but I think if I had drops that I actually liked I'd use the drops on longer rides and mostly ride the hoods. Nitto Noodles are what I usually see recommended.

I'm open to suggestions, though. The bike sees 90% of its use as my transportation device: commuting to school, work, friends' places, bars, libraries, coffee shops, wherever. I also do longer rides when time allows (first fixed century about a month ago, super cool minus the part where I carried a chrome bag the whole damn time).

If I really wanted to shave weight I wouldn't ride a madison, so lets make that part clear. I'd also probably be looking to upgrade wheelsets. But the stock wheels are still serving, so for the time being I'm mostly needing new bars (I need new tape anyway, and mine are bent) and a lighter seat tube is icing on the cake.

Edit: There is a known issue with some of the Madisons having a fork cut too short for spacers. As an unlucky sap, I ended up with one and made up for it by swapping for a stem with some rise (so I guess that isn't stock, either). I tried to e-mail Schwinn long long ago on the off chance they had one in a warehouse, but no luck. Anyone know if these can still be found anywhere?

Last edited by oneeyedhobbit; 10-03-11 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Because I can!
Old 10-03-11, 08:14 AM
EdgewaterDude

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like drops but don't like the longer reach, you might check out the https://salsacycles.com/components/short_shallow/

I've got hobbit arms, and these are a pretty good compromise for reach on the hoods and drops.
Old 10-03-11, 08:22 AM
T34418L3one

Bikes: Cult and Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You mean seatpost first off, but I know from my friends that Thompson is a phenomenal choice.

As far as your bar situation it seems you need compact drops, check these out for $35 but make sure your current stems clamping area is 31.8 if not you'll need to look elsewhere or buy a different stem.
Old 10-03-11, 08:27 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Just so you know - 2008 Madisons take a 27.0mm seatpost, so Velo Orange is out.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 10-03-11 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-03-11, 04:44 PM
oneeyedhobbit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T34418L3one
You mean seatpost
Sure did! I knew it was called that too, don't know what I was thinking.

I don't so much mean that the drops on the stock bars are too deep (though maybe a bit shallower would be nice). Just that the whole bar is too long. Like I can put my hands comfortably on top of the bar as it extends to the curve, then I have brake hoods there to stretch even further. So basically I want to be comfortably riding the brake hoods rather than the tops of the bars. Something like that anyway.

Didn't know vo didn't offer a 27mm seatpost. Dang. Is it even worth upgrading? My current seatpost is doing its job (holding my seat), I've just read that its hella long and one could lose a lb or 2 easy with a nominal investment. Since everyone is buying $500 bikes and putting $400 into them to knock off a pound, I figured I'd better get with the program.
Old 10-03-11, 05:40 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

The stock Madison post is ridiculously long. You could always cut it.
Old 10-03-11, 05:58 PM
hamish5178

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Sure did! I knew it was called that too, don't know what I was thinking.

I don't so much mean that the drops on the stock bars are too deep (though maybe a bit shallower would be nice). Just that the whole bar is too long. Like I can put my hands comfortably on top of the bar as it extends to the curve, then I have brake hoods there to stretch even further. So basically I want to be comfortably riding the brake hoods rather than the tops of the bars. Something like that anyway.

Didn't know vo didn't offer a 27mm seatpost. Dang. Is it even worth upgrading? My current seatpost is doing its job (holding my seat), I've just read that its hella long and one could lose a lb or 2 easy with a nominal investment. Since everyone is buying $500 bikes and putting $400 into them to knock off a pound, I figured I'd better get with the program.
If the hoods are too far away, your stem may be too long, not the bars themselves.
Old 10-03-11, 06:22 PM
oneeyedhobbit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamish5178
If the hoods are too far away, your stem may be too long, not the bars themselves.
I already swapped to a shorter stem. You'd have to see the stock drops Schwinn shipped this with, I guess. I didn't really know anything about handlebars when I got the bike except that it was an upgrade over the flat bars on my old U District because it had more hand positions and made me look cooler.

Not that I know a lot now, but most drops I see curve and start "dropping" a full inch to inch-and-a-half before these.

Plus they're bent man. The dude at the bike shop assures me that I'm riding and risking catastrophic failure everyday.

Oh, and I don't have access to a dremel/pipecutter for that scrod. I'm not stressing about it. I just figured if I could really shave that much weight for little why not?
Old 10-03-11, 06:33 PM
T34418L3one

Bikes: Cult and Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pipe cutter will run you ~$10
Old 10-03-11, 11:50 PM
GMJ
Would you just look at it

Bikes: good ones.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
You mentioned that you've thought of bullhorns. I say try them out. I recently switched some onto my bike and I love them.

Get a cheap bar so its not too big of a deal if you don't like them. Like these. You can't beat $20.
Old 10-04-11, 06:46 AM
mashtofu
(*^-^)v

Bikes: EAI Toyo Gojira (Godzilla)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your LBS should be able to cut your seatpost for no more than $5. Most would probably do it for free since it only takes a moment.
Old 10-04-11, 07:18 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Oh, and I don't have access to a dremel/pipecutter for that scrod.
Solution: