Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Gym is working.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The Gym is working.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 05:28 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The Gym is working.

Just got back from a spinning class and I have just gone over the top on energy expended. Only been down the gym for a month and I joined it for the Cardio workouts but I have settled into a routine each week. I also have a lack of Upper body strength so gentle weights and high repetitions to build this up so 3 visits a week. One for an hours cardio that is still not impressive but gradually working myself harder. One visit is for the weights machines and I am seing an improvements on what I can pull and the number of repetitions. But it was that Spinning class today. Don't like the session as I feel I am already into riding a bike so why do more? What it is doing though is building the Mind. When it hurts and the instructor is telling you 5 more RPM or one more gear--it gets hard.

Today's session and I felt no different at the start but wasn't long before I was putting on gears to make the legs work or another 10 RPM to get the lungs full. Only problem I found was that I have a strong sense of rhythm and although the instructor was saying 90 to 100 Rpm--I had to set my cadence to the music that was around 90. No problem- just put on another gear or two to keep working. And it was not only to keep working-It was to keep working hard.

I still do not think that cycling a stationary bike is what I need to build up strength on the bike but the Combined programme I have set up for myself obviously is. The Cardio still has some way to go- although the spinning is improving that. The weights and what hurt 4 weeks ago is getting easier- but less so as I am putting weight on at every session.

But that spinning class this morning. I said at the start it would take 6 or so sessions before I got into them and this was the 7th. Found myself two gears above what I have pulled before- slow cadence seated hills and I was way up and the watts output and today I was looking at the meter and thinking "How high can I push it up" instead of- "Better slow down- there's still 20 minutes to go". That mind over matter is coming in. Still did not push myself into the pain stage but I normally use around 500 calories in the session. Today it was 600.

Still a long way to go but in one month I reckon I have improved overall tremendously. Don't feel any fitter and thanks to the weather I have not been able to check if those hills have got any shorter on the bike. They will never get easier but as I improve they will just take less time to climb.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-07-13, 08:09 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
As long as you don't get into a routine and are always challenging yourself, gyms can be very good for building the body, despite all the negative things you hear about them. And I don't care what anyone says, cyclists should do weights; muscles are the body's armor and we need armor, because you never get proficient enough in cycling to prevent accidents.
Old 02-07-13, 09:37 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
"I still do not think that cycling a stationary bike is what I need to build up strength on the bike but the Combined programme I have set up for myself obviously is."

I notice a BIG difference in the spring when I slack off the spin bike in the winter. Both strength and cardio. It is nice to get out on those first warm days and be able to enjoy the good weather with out suffering up mild hills.
Old 02-07-13, 09:51 AM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the last few years I've taken a spring bike trip away from the Great White North (I'm already counting the days to Arizona this year), and my ability to bike is directly related to how many spin classes I did before I left. Last year I did more weights, and less cardio, and I found the riding harder than in the years when I focused on spinning. I've managed three spin sessions a week since December or so, so am hoping the hills won't feel too vicious when I get on the bike.

Toronto is stuck below freezing, with a snow storm on the way tonight. Tucson forecast is sun and low 70s during the day. I can hardly wait.
Old 02-07-13, 10:10 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stap, I'm glad the gym is working for you and helping you to achieve your goals and objectives...

But, I would also add that enjoyment is also part of the equation. if you don't enjoy it, your body and mind will eventually find a way to stop doing it...

... Speaking for myself, I find that my brain is a lot smarter and craftier than I am. I know that I can't out-think that old b*****d...
Old 02-07-13, 10:19 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
May be that it was a different type of riding but I used to go to the gym when training for my big offroad. Spinning never did relate to that ride as it is not often the instructor will have you seated at a cadence of 60 pulling the biggest gear you can for 10 minutes at a time. That was the type of hill we had on the ride and not the pull a lighter gear and spin. Cadence of 100 was only ever reached on the road with slicks. Our legs were getting the training from 100 miles a week of hilly offroads and what we needed was Cardio to be able to breath after every hill and stamina to keep doing it for 12 hours.

2003 through to 05 and the gym without Spinning worked but in 06 we got into spinning classes and that was the last time we did the ride. Reckoned at 59 it was time I stopped pushing myself to that sort of limit and that year was extra hard. I still blame it on not enough Gym work and those spinning sessions that were not improving my fitness for the type of riding I was doing.

Spinning is a usefull exercise but I still think that it can be bettered by including other types of Exercise within your training regime.

Spike Milligan