Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Litterbugs are M*&%#$ F&^$% AS$*(#

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Litterbugs are M*&%#$ F&^$% AS$*(#

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 04:22 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I spent the day cleaning up that beach and shoreline.
2 full trashbags worth...

Great beach BTW. Loaded with wild roses and bristle cone pine, and a sandy bottom that's knee deep for nearly 100 yards.

And as luck would have it, one of the Okanagan wildfire trucks happened by, and packed it out for me!
Old 05-31-06, 04:44 PM
mr bill

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acantor
Yes you may.

Baleen whales eat by “drinking” thousands of gallons of water. The baleen is like a sieve that traps plankton and fish. But the baleen also traps litter such as cigarette butts, balloon fragments, plastic toys, straws, food wrappers, and other human-made litter. Whales cannot separate the trash from the food. Everything is swallowed.

Once inside, the debris can cause havoc. Almost 5000 chemical compounds are present in tobacco smoke; 62 of these are known to cause cancer in humans and animals. Cigarette filters are designed to trap these toxins. When ingested by marine mammals, the chemicals are released into their stomachs. Also, even small objects can cause blockages that can kill a marine mammal.
well, i knew all that. but is it the toxins that the whale can't handle or is it a blockage somewhere? i suppose i find it hard to believe that the minute traces of toxins in a cigarette butt could put down a whale.
Old 05-31-06, 04:50 PM
LilSprocket
Wheee

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88 phase 1/ Surly 1x1/Cannondale R700 WSD 650c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
without a doubt, litter bugs are bad news in my book... One time I was on a date, we were going to a bird sanctuary in the FL. Keys... and the guy threw a gum wrapper out the window... I was appalled! Needless to say, last date with that guy.
Old 06-01-06, 07:36 AM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mr bill
well, i knew all that. but is it the toxins that the whale can't handle or is it a blockage somewhere? i suppose i find it hard to believe that the minute traces of toxins in a cigarette butt could put down a whale.
I believe that for large sea mammals, blockage is the bigger problem. I read somewhere that the chemicals in butts can poison smaller creatures, like turtles, fish, and birds. The critters mistake trash for food.

Is there a marine biologist in the house who can confirm or clarify?
Old 06-01-06, 07:53 AM
bikewench

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So.. Bikepacker went out with a couple of garbage bags and picked up all the crap in the litter pic.

Two big orange garbage bags he got.

He wrote a note on the bags.. asking anyone with a vechicle to please take the garbage out as he couldn't get them out on his bike.

As he was on his way out.. a Wildfire crew came along and Packerdoll asked them to grab the bags which they did.

Tis a bonzer thing ya did there Doll..

The beautiful Okanagan thanks you. ;o)