Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unofficial Bonehead Moves Appreciation Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Unofficial Bonehead Moves Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 11:17 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 559 Posts
@pcb, the banana as replacement for grease is classic!

#4, "Clamped frame in workstand over a top tube cable guide..." Done that, too. Oh, that sinking feeling. #2: Fortunately, I haven't dented any frames with flying objects, but I've had a couple close calls with objects let loose by the buffing wheel.

--

How about...proudly takes time to do a photo shoot of newly built bike, only to later realize (ok, get called out by a forum member) that the water bottle cages are upside down?

Old 06-09-17, 05:46 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
[MENTION=290087]
You could always claim that they are to hold chain oilers, which must be mounted upside down to flow correctly. These are occasionally found on motorcycles.
Old 06-09-17, 06:18 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
My bottle cages are oriented right but the content is not appropriate!
[IMG]P1020207, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 06-09-17, 09:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,480 Times in 1,439 Posts
@darkreaver, that sounds like something I would do, and I might have done it, too. It just makes total sense to me.

And I agree that the banana trick is brilliant, @pcb.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-09-17, 09:36 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
You betcha! Just try packing bearings with smushed energy bars----ain't gonna happen.

And, yeah, I have installed those sweet King Iris cages, or similar clones, upside-down a couple of times. Caught it before I snapped the pix, though, so no public shaming at the time.

The frame I violated in my workstand was a Peugeot, a brand we didn't carry. The rep was an independent, so he visited us to sell other stuff. I cowardly told him "the braze-on just popped off." "No problem, happens all the time," he said, then opened up his trunk which contained some propane torches, cans o' spray paint, and a box o' braze-ons. He brazed on a new cable guide, touched it up with the spray paint, looked like new.

It wasn't my proudest moment, but it also vindicated our decision not to carry Peugeot.

Originally Posted by gaucho777
@pcb, the banana as replacement for grease is classic!

#4, "Clamped frame in workstand over a top tube cable guide..." Done that, too. Oh, that sinking feeling. #2: Fortunately, I haven't dented any frames with flying objects, but I've had a couple close calls with objects let loose by the buffing wheel.

--

How about...proudly takes time to do a photo shoot of newly built bike, only to later realize (ok, get called out by a forum member) that the water bottle cages are upside down?

Old 06-10-17, 12:02 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
The frame I violated in my workstand was a Peugeot, a brand we didn't carry. The rep was an independent, so he visited us to sell other stuff. I cowardly told him "the braze-on just popped off." "No problem, happens all the time," he said, then opened up his trunk which contained some propane torches, cans o' spray paint, and a box o' braze-ons. He brazed on a new cable guide, touched it up with the spray paint, looked like new...
Well, that is just effing epic! (On his part, not yours, mind you.)
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 06-10-17, 09:03 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Restoring my '73 Super Course, I was in a hurry to get to a vintage ride and re-used an old 10 speed chain. I couldn't find the package of new break off link pins, so I re-used the old one. 4 miles out on the ride, the chain and crank locked up and wouldn't pedal forward. The old link pin had worked out and jammed against the chainwheel. I took a quick look, and started walking back to my car. Along the way, I was hating walking an almost functional bike, and saw a big rock along the road. Using a small wrench as a back stop, I pounded the pin back in, and rode somewhat gingerly back to the car. Next day, my new KMC chain arrived from Amazon.
Old 06-10-17, 09:53 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Yesterday my ride lasted exactly 1-1/4 miles when my 47 year-old Sedis chain exploded on an uphill. Somehow I managed to ride 100 miles+ on gravel and serious hills last season before I put it away. Don't know if a pin was just installed poorly, or it just got tired (I lost an entire link). Moral of the story: there's a reason chains are considered "consumable." Not everything has to be vintage.
Old 12-03-20, 08:06 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Last week working on my 86 Schwinn Passage, just switching stuff around for the f of it, noticed the front straddle cable was frayed. No replacement handy so I decided to switch cantis.

New brake mounting bolts didn't want to go far enough into the post to cinch the brake body down. I kept cranking on it. Sheared off the bolt head, leaving the bolt shaft stuck in the post. Tried to drill it out without any clear plan in mind, just rage wrenching.

Donored everything off the Passage onto a very iffy (Friday afternoon at Carlton) Super Course frame. I guess the original reason I was on the garage was I wanted a SS beater with clearance and a dynamo setup.

Just putting a photo in here for your trouble

Cooled off and decided to order a $40 set of screw extractors and cobalt drill bits, try to undo the damage to the Passage. Set arrived this week. Put the extractor in the tap wrench, gave it a quarter turn, and snapped off the extractor in the hole I'd drilled in the sheared canti bolt.

Then I blunted the new drill bit trying to drill through the broken extractor tip.

Can't even take pictures, too ashamed. I put the frameset in the rafters. Just had to tell somebody.
Likes For belacqua:
Old 12-03-20, 11:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

A friend of a friend sent me his hubs for me to build a new pair of wheels for him. The freewheel was still attached. He didn't know to take it off before removing the spokes and rim. So I tried to remove the freewheel by attaching spokes to the non drive side. I put the freewheel extractor in my vise and the freewheel in the extractor. I turned the wheel. The hub shell crumbled. Yikes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-03-20, 11:37 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider

Yeah, you basically twist-stressed the center portion of the hub past its failure point - of course, it was never meant to take that sort of load in the first place!

DD
Old 12-04-20, 12:12 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
A friend of a friend sent me his hubs for me to build a new pair of wheels for him. The freewheel was still attached. He didn't know to take it off before removing the spokes and rim. So I tried to remove the freewheel by attaching spokes to the non drive side. I put the freewheel extractor in my vise and the freewheel in the extractor. I turned the wheel. The hub shell crumbled. Yikes.
I've done this before, even with high flange hubs, and never had anything like this.

Yes, there's a possibility of damage, but a tear like that is absolutely extreme. It looks as if the aluminum had some sort of stress on it before, given that perfect Z shape that it split in.

-Kurt

Old 12-04-20, 07:52 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Kurt, I don't think so. Remember, I (mistakenly) used the NDS so I twisted the middle of the shell. In retrospect, this had to happen.

Old 12-04-20, 08:50 AM
Splendidtutiona

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Competition, Guru Sidero, Soma Groove, Smolenski,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Yeah, looking at it, you can tell that the torque was applied to the freewheel (duh) to get it off.

A solid rod will break at a 45 degree angle. Obviously the hub body is a "tube" and not solid. And the walls being thin, the "45 degree angle" is hard to see, but its manifests as an angle in the crack.

Let me back up: a tube (hollow rod) will split axially (lengthwise) when failure occurs. Basically the tube wall splits due to the tension forces placed on it. but that split will be at a 45 degree angle from outer wall to inner wall Meaning if you cut the hub on half (separating the right flange from the left, directly in the center) and looked at the nature of the crack, it would be at an angle. you can kind of see that in the image. as you look into the crack, the side toward the top of the photo looks like there is an angle there.

Also the crack is larger at the freewheel side than at the non-freewheel side, indicating that the freewheel side with where the torques was applied while the other side was "fixed"

The "Z" shape comes in because those cracks at 90 degrees from the axial one are exactly where the flange radius meets the straight "tube" part of the hub. This caused a change in the forces applied, and the crack changed orientation.

This doesn't mean that there wasn't other damage at that location that weakened the whole things, but aluminum is, honestly, terrible material to build anything out of (bike, airplanes, and some cars use it a lot because it is strong enough and VERY light). It's not very strong, has terrible fatigue qualities (compared to other metals) and can be finicky to work with. But it's so light, that it continues to be alluring to work with, and ultimately works great for things like some bike parts, airplane skins, engine blocks (kind of) etc. so don't think I'm just an Al hater! It just doesn't hold up well to the kinds of stress you put it under, noglider. Not trying to rub it in. I've stripped more than my fair share of bolts that were otherwise fine (torque wrench? we don't need no stinking torque wrench!) and other such.

Sorry for the engineering lesson. Not trying to rub in that you probably broke this hub, again, this is the "boneheaded stuff we've done" thread and we all have SOME story. More hoping if someone sees this and has a similar things happen at, say, a shop and they try to sell you they didn't break it, we can have some info to refute that.

Happiness and Smiles
Splendidtutional.
Likes For Splendidtutiona:
Old 12-04-20, 11:01 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
The oil hole clip didn't help????!!!!
Old 01-06-21, 08:28 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
When you don't measure stack height before attempting to install a super record headset.

Likes For malcala622:
Old 01-06-21, 11:12 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
When you don't measure stack height before attempting to install a super record headset.
Or as bad, you mismeasure, on a Serotta.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 01-06-21, 11:32 PM
dmarkun
Slowfoot

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1979 Scapin (?), 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 49 Posts
I just discovered this thread and what a wonderful catharsis. Thank you everybody. I myself have too much to add and the extent of it would be boring, and not just with bicycles - involving concrete, automatic transmissions, babies and flammable substances (but luckily not all at the same time).
Likes For dmarkun:
Old 01-07-21, 12:02 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i don't recall making any genuine bonehead moves with bicycles for quite a while. nothing noteworthy, anyway. plenty with cars, though

nope...the last real bonehead move i recall making was in my bmx days. "that gooseneck looks stripped?! oh, the handlebars'll be fine. just tighten the h*** out of'em!" two ditch jumps later..... midair with no control. poor budding boy parts
Old 01-07-21, 07:50 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
Or when you buy a take-off fork with lots of extra steerer tube because you want to run a roller bearing headset that takes more stack, then cut the steerer tube to fit the new headset perfectly but don’t leave room for extras like a decaleur...
Old 01-08-21, 10:06 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Was having nothing but trouble installing a Sturmey three-speed hub - with a built-in drum brake - into a bike with sliding vertical dropouts.

After struggling to get the two sliding drops aligned, I was able to get the anti-rotation washers and both axle nuts on (both are captive on these dropouts - think huge lawyer lips), the drum brake torque arm bolted in, and the Sturmey rotary shifter cable worked into the narrow gap between the dropout and the hub.

That's when I realized the chain was still dangling from the front chainring.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 01-14-21 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-12-21, 07:50 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 1,709 Posts
When you haven't a clue what you're doing, stuff like this happens:

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-13-21, 01:45 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
When you haven't a clue what you're doing, stuff like this happens:

DD
took me a moment to see it.........
Yikes!!!!
Likes For canyoneagle:
Old 01-13-21, 03:13 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
IS that one barrel adjuster screwed into another? Or are the pad holders in there backwards?

Last edited by himespau; 01-13-21 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-13-21, 03:18 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
took me a moment to see it.........
Yikes!!!!
Finally saw it! Whoopsie....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.