Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today? Continued.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today? Continued.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 08:18 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes it's so nasty out that only work, school, or an emergency should budge a sensible person from the house. No school, no work, so I thought I could just chill inside today, only to find that I was out of beer. So out I went for emergency rations.

Heavily traveled roads have softened to a mix of slush, ice, and huge puddles of water (many drainages are frozen shut, so there's nowhere for the water to go). Less traveled routes are a mix of standing water on ice, and what few pedestrians are out are walking everywhere with careful, cautious, baby steps.

This is the Bridge Troll's Shortcut, from the bottom. I'm pretty shocked that I made it to the top without sliding out.

This is the path at the top of Bridge Troll's, just before you cross the overpass in front of my apartment. I had to pull off into the snow on the side to both dismount and remount the bike.
Old 11-23-10, 08:59 PM
DC Wheels

Bikes: 06 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I left out just after 10am to get to an 11am meeting. I was almost at work before I realized I had left my backpack at home. Inside were my pullover and knit cap for what I imagined to be cooler evening with shattered showers predicted. Tonight I was amazed and pleased that Washington, DC was clear and in the 60s. The ride was so pleasant that I took a detour on the way home to visit an old friend who recently had a baby
Old 11-24-10, 05:51 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was chillier this morning at 38 F ( 3 C). The traffic was lighter, although on the highways it looked normal or busier.
Old 11-24-10, 06:51 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the picture of the iced road. Studded tires good! People look at you like you're insane, yet you're safer than if you were on foot, even.

I did not ride this morning. Hiked 2.5 miles to the bus. Wife is picking me up after work and we're going to my mommy's house.

I saw one cyclist though, pushing through what must have been an obnoxious northern headwind in the pre-sunrise light.
Old 11-24-10, 07:53 AM
bijan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-1C/30F and sunny this morning, but annoying headwind.

Had one length of ice on a short stretch of bike path. It was a half-frozen puddle, I just broke through the ice and rode through. I don't know how much the studded tires helped.
Old 11-24-10, 08:31 AM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A balmy 7f out side most everything was under thick ice all of yesterdays slush is now frozen solid and pretty much an obstacle course, very much glad i made a studded tire for the front last night, i might not have made it other wise. A lot of the car lanes were pretty clear but this morning everyone was driving like a race track for some reason and i was wayyyy tooo scared to even attempt take a lane. On my way home and while running errands after work i watched 8 car accidents happen every one of which could have been avoided had drivers just slowed down some. Despite the cold i stayed pretty warm finally dug out the thermal bottoms though.
Old 11-24-10, 08:48 AM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
today's ride in was pleasant, if a bit chilly -- high 30s or low 40s, I'd guess. I left late, so I took advantage of the lighter than usual traffic and drove a little further than usual, but that was merely to make up for my longer than usual ride home last night. Fewer cyclists this morning for sure, but that could just be the holiday.

Last night, I decided to try the Custis trail for my ride home, to avoid my leaf covered nemesis. I had forgotten just how hilly Custis is, though. The leaves were clearer, and nothing as steep as my nemesis hill, but lots of shorter, less intense, but still grinding climbs. And, it adds 4-5 miles to my usual commuting distance which, at my slow speed, means an extra 20-30 minutes. Of course, from what I heard of traffic last night, I was still probably well ahead of where I would have been if I drove to the office and back, but that wouldn't usually be the case. Custis trail also involves crossing the GW Parkway at grade (albeit the parkway traffic is all but stopped), and more riding on suburban streets at the end of my ride. I'll have to keep thinking about this, but I suspect the whole question will be moot once the leaves have fallen -- til next year, that is.

Oh, last night also stood out because I was cut off in traffic by an idiot who ran a stop sign. I saw it coming, so no actual threat to my safety, but it shouldn't really be my job to watch for idiots running stop signs, should it?
Old 11-24-10, 09:12 AM
carfreephilly

Bikes: Brompton S2L, Trek Belleville, Kona Ute, Raleigh Twenty (1971 folder, 1969 non-folder)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This morning's ride was beautiful--crisp, cold air (45F), just enough to make my eyes water a bit during the first mile. The sky was clear and there was a light breeze. This afternoon the wind is supposed to pick up with gusts up to 30mph.
Old 11-24-10, 09:56 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
First cycle-commute in a week. Can the BF commuters forgive me for wussing out the past few days? It's been cold, -28C/-18F with wind chills pushing the perceived temperature down to -35C.

I rode today, and when I left home, it was -27C/-17F. The reason I rode today and not the past couple of days is because the forecast is for temperatures to climb all day, up to about -14C/7F this afternoon, and keep climbing into the evening. I figured I would brave the arctic weather on the way in and enjoy the much balmier temperatures on the way home.

Anyway, -27C is fargin' cold. I was mostly warm enough except the digits. It's very painful when frozen fingers and toes start warming up! My 15km commute took about 55 minutes today, whereas in summer, I can make it in about 35. The bike worked well except that somehow, the front shift lever's friction adjuster was loose, and suddenly I found myself spinning in the granny ring. I had to pull over and tighten that up. I also had to trudge through a big snow bank because some construction workers parked their truck right on the access point to a trail. And I had to stop a few times to rub the ice off my cycling glasses. I guess I should have worn ski goggles.

This is by far the coldest weather I've ever ridden in. While I feel a sense of accomplishment, I can't say I enjoyed it. I've done it once now, and won't be in a hurry to do it again. I've seen other die-hards out there, and I don't know how they do it.

-27C is fargin' cold.
Old 11-24-10, 11:19 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
34F/1C. Chilly. My ears suffered (should have looked a little harder for my skull cap), but otherwise it wasn't too bad.
Old 11-24-10, 11:49 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One word: miserable.

Temperature wasn't too bad (31-32f), but the wind was horrible. Gusts up to 25mph or so, and I was either riding directly into them, or they were blowing me sideways (front panniers make good sails). Didn't think I needed shoe covers, so my toes are frozen halfway through my 12-mile commute. I also didn't keep my core warm enough, as my fingers were painfully cold most of the way (they're still hurting two hours later).

Live and learn...
Old 11-24-10, 12:17 PM
Fizzaly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by groovestew
First cycle-commute in a week. Can the BF commuters forgive me for wussing out the past few days? It's been cold, -28C/-18F with wind chills pushing the perceived temperature down to -35C.

I rode today, and when I left home, it was -27C/-17F. The reason I rode today and not the past couple of days is because the forecast is for temperatures to climb all day, up to about -14C/7F this afternoon, and keep climbing into the evening. I figured I would brave the arctic weather on the way in and enjoy the much balmier temperatures on the way home.

Anyway, -27C is fargin' cold. I was mostly warm enough except the digits. It's very painful when frozen fingers and toes start warming up! My 15km commute took about 55 minutes today, whereas in summer, I can make it in about 35. The bike worked well except that somehow, the front shift lever's friction adjuster was loose, and suddenly I found myself spinning in the granny ring. I had to pull over and tighten that up. I also had to trudge through a big snow bank because some construction workers parked their truck right on the access point to a trail. And I had to stop a few times to rub the ice off my cycling glasses. I guess I should have worn ski goggles.

This is by far the coldest weather I've ever ridden in. While I feel a sense of accomplishment, I can't say I enjoyed it. I've done it once now, and won't be in a hurry to do it again. I've seen other die-hards out there, and I don't know how they do it.

-27C is fargin' cold.
I for one dont blame ya, i ride year round in whatever the weather happens to be but thankfully boise only see's the negatives a few times during the winter, i think you canadians are crazy and there i went thinkin i had it bad this morning at 7f thats your high!!
Old 11-24-10, 12:19 PM
Fizzaly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And griddle cake im thinking it would be way fun to lace up some skate and ice skate to work, thats nuts
Old 11-24-10, 04:40 PM
Rothaí

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
2nd work commute (12miles) since recovering from my 2nd broken clavicle in 3 years...lucky we only have 2 !
Cold in Ireland but nothing like some of the posts here...
and a real slog of a cycle compared to how easy it gets after a few weeks of commuting. Good to be back though!
Lorcán.
Old 11-24-10, 04:58 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fizzaly
And griddle cake im thinking it would be way fun to lace up some skate and ice skate to work, thats nuts
Maybe, if my route was totally flat. As it is, I don't think that I would find it much fun trying to skate downhill.
Old 11-24-10, 06:02 PM
oban_kobi

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Custom Vintage FG

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today was pretty cold. 0 C, -4 with wind chill. I overdressed a bit, I should have just worn the long sleeve Champion C9, the cotton on top was too much, had to take it off halfway through. Same story with the legs, tights and thin running pants over that. I had to roll the pants up once I turned and didn't have to fight the 30 kph wind...Lesson learned though, tights and single top layer for down to 0.
Old 11-24-10, 10:05 PM
Fizzaly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
Maybe, if my route was totally flat. As it is, I don't think that I would find it much fun trying to skate downhill.
So i take it no crashed ice for you
Old 11-24-10, 11:24 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No commute, Off all week. Did make like 5 trips on my Porteur to the LBS to buy parts for the new hot rod. She is a sweet rider! So is the Porteur.
Old 11-25-10, 07:04 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I rode into work for a few hours this Thanksgiving AM on my 14 mile commute, leaving at about 6 AM at 31* F, with an approximate headwind of about 15 mph. The streets were dry and traffic-free and the bridgework on the Rte 128 overpass on Rte 1A is finally finished, as of today it seems, with two wide lanes in my direction and a fabulous road surface. The work has been ongoing for at least two years now.

The traffic was light of course because of the Holiday, but I had an even more Thanksgiving-specific experience this morning. I usually stop into a convenience strore at about mile 8 to buy the two daily Boston newspapers and carry them in my backpack. As usual in anticipation of "Black Friday," they were about five times more heavy and voluminous.
Old 11-25-10, 07:44 AM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh is that bridge finally finished?.? It has been forever. I'll go try it today!
Old 11-25-10, 07:48 AM
bijan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-7C/20F and sunny this morning.

Switched to my winter jacket, but it was still not cold enough for it and I ended up sweating a bit.
Old 11-25-10, 08:36 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
The cold snap and snow will finally end later today. The temperatures have been below -20C (-26 waiting for the bus this morning) most of the week and several dumpings of fresh snow. The snow from yesterday should be packed down today and the temperatures will rise to around -10C. Tomorrow will be the first time in a week and a half that I can ride my bike to class.
Old 11-25-10, 10:02 AM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I overheated this morning. The weather changed substantially overnight (went from -21º yesterday morning to -18º last night, and only -2º this morning), and although I layered down, I was apparently still over doing it.

Got to work all sweaty and gross.
Old 11-25-10, 01:01 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdgesus
^^^west seattle/harbor island bridge

do you have to ride up to admiral.. i imagine those are the hills you walked
Funny enough, no! The only hill I had to walk down was Virginia; steep but there was no traffic on it so it was a decent choice. Walked up Yancy SW; no chance of getting up it. All other hills like Avalon were just fine (took sidewalk around most of W. Sea since I didn't trust drivers too much at that point).
Old 11-25-10, 03:23 PM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that avalon hill is so annoying, dry, wet, or snow. it seems to go on FOREVER :X

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.