Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

SeaSucker cracked Tesla Model 3 rear glass

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

SeaSucker cracked Tesla Model 3 rear glass

Old 06-04-19, 07:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Just because a piece of glass is laminated doesn't make it super strong relative to a piece of tempered glass-- it just stays together when it breaks. Watch a FailArmy video. Most any one of them will have someone breaking a windshield by putting just the weight of one leg on it. Bikes are relatively light, but I"m not going to stick one to my glass hatch with suction cups, just because that sounds like a recipe for "something broken." Bike, glass, or both.
Old 06-04-19, 08:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Just because a piece of glass is laminated doesn't make it super strong relative to a piece of tempered glass-- it just stays together when it breaks. Watch a FailArmy video. Most any one of them will have someone breaking a windshield by putting just the weight of one leg on it. Bikes are relatively light, but I"m not going to stick one to my glass hatch with suction cups, just because that sounds like a recipe for "something broken." Bike, glass, or both.
I don't think anyone said that laminated is stronger, just that its "failure mode" is less likely to result in the bike actually crashing through than tempered. That's relevant here because this rear window is more like a roof than a hatch window. The bike wasn't just hanging from the window, it was resting on it.
Old 06-04-19, 10:29 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
A friend has a Tesla X that contains absurd square meters of glass. Difficult to clean; Tesla seems to be the only company that advises against using Rain-X etc. Not surprised the Mod 3 glass breaks; even as the "affordable" Tesla style seems to trump function.
Old 06-05-19, 11:17 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I don't think this has anything to do with bike weight. From the looks of it, that's a full-carbon bike that's probably <15lbs, and only over half of that (due to the sloping angle) is supported by the rear glass.

The problem is the force generated by the suction cup's attachment area. I'm somewhat surprised it cracked in a circular pattern rather than randomly (though there is that crack going across the footprint). I'd argue that simply attaching a suction cup to the rear window would've cracked it.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 06-06-19, 07:51 PM
DropBarFan

Weird coincidence, tonite a neighbor mentioned he was getting a Tesla 3 delivered soon, I told him about the Seasucker issue, just for fun 'cause he doesn't cycle anyway.
Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 06-07-19, 05:46 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
There is something I just do not like about Tesla.
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 06-07-19, 09:09 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
There is something I just do not like about Tesla.
Electric would seem to be eco but I think most Tesla owners (esp S & X) have 1 or 2 other vehicles so one has to consider the energy/pollution used to make an additional vehicle. In re the bike rack, I can't recall seeing a Tesla with a bike rack despite high local ownership. IMHO the whole company is a stock scam. Other current electrics are much cheaper & the big car companies are introducing ~auto-pilot cars so Tesla is basically toast.
Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 06-08-19, 12:03 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I'm no Tesla fanboy but no. The CHEAP EVs are still $35k-$42k which is the Model 3 SR and SR+ price range and the only other cars that are really worth looking at in that price range are the hyundai kona and kia niro.
Old 06-08-19, 01:28 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I'll stick with my Outback. No drama.
Old 06-08-19, 03:08 PM
BKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by joelcool
Hmmm... I used a Sea Sucker on the rear glass of my Honda S2000 hard top for years. I wonder if Tesla has thinner or weaker glass than common?
Hope it's not the same quality E. Musk is using on his SpaceX endeaver.
Old 06-21-19, 09:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
fwiw: 2014+ Jeep Cherokees have a known issue w rear windows imploding w/o cause
Old 06-21-19, 09:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
this was fun to watch

Old 06-21-19, 09:38 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Doesn't Tesla make a hitch receiver for the back?
Old 06-21-19, 11:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
A good welding fabricator may make one on site.. why wait for Elon Musk to take the initiative?

Maybe get a Polycarbonate rear window .. Lexan the stuff that takes bird strikes on aircraft..
Old 06-21-19, 12:12 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Wcollins00

You can see exactly what happened in these two photos. The crack goes precisely across the diameter of the suction cup's imprint and nowhere else.

The damage is localized to the site, indicating that the pressure differential on the two sides of the glass exceeded the strength of the glass.

The suction cup pulled too hard on your window and broke it.

And, to whoever considered mounting one of these on your aluminum roof, it will do the same thing there, but the damage bill would be far higher.
Old 07-15-19, 06:42 AM
SeaSuckerTesla

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The SeaSucker was not installed properly, is too far to the back of the roof. It should be all the way to the front.

Last edited by SeaSuckerTesla; 07-15-19 at 06:44 AM. Reason: photo
Old 07-15-19, 08:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by SeaSuckerTesla
The SeaSucker was not installed properly, is too far to the back of the roof. It should be all the way to the front.
I still think the back of the bike would be resting on glass. Looks like it broke at both contact points. And as someone else pointed out, it's questionable whether the thin aluminum roof would be up to handling the weight of a bouncing bike.
Old 07-15-19, 09:24 AM
SeaSuckerTesla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I still think the back of the bike would be resting on glass. Looks like it broke at both contact points. And as someone else pointed out, it's questionable whether the thin aluminum roof would be up to handling the weight of a bouncing bike.
There are a couple of errors or assumptions in your response... First the bike is not suppose to bounce if properly secured... Second the roof is not made of aluminum.
Also the whole roof is glass so all tires rest on the glass, the important part here is that the rear tire rests close to the cross bar in the middle of the roof. and the front tire rest close to the windshield. Finally the pedal crank needs to be secured with included velcro straps if not they can start spinning and hit the glass causing it to crack
Old 07-15-19, 09:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by SeaSuckerTesla
There are a couple of errors or assumptions in your response... First the bike is not suppose to bounce if properly secured... Second the roof is not made of aluminum.
Also the whole roof is glass so all tires rest on the glass, the important part here is that the rear tire rests close to the cross bar in the middle of the roof. and the front tire rest close to the windshield. Finally the pedal crank needs to be secured with included velcro straps if not they can start spinning and hit the glass causing it to crack
Whatever. I seriously don't believe that the glass was intended to support anything resting vertically on top of it no matter where it rested.

Did you just join the forum to post on this one subject? Crazy screen name.
Old 07-15-19, 09:53 AM
SeaSuckerTesla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever. I seriously don't believe that the glass was intended to support anything resting vertically on top of it no matter where it rested.

Did you just join the forum to post on this one subject? Crazy screen name.
Yes, I just did . I am going to return the SeSucker I dont want a broken roof or glass

Last edited by SeaSuckerTesla; 07-15-19 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-15-19, 10:03 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
After having worked at a glass shop when I was in school, there is no way I will ever use any rack that touches the back glass in any way. No matter how many racks are out there that utilizes the back glass, it is an extremely poor idea. While you can have great luck with one, it doesn't take much for that luck to disappear and the glass to be broken. Sorry, as much as I would love to fault Tesla for this, it isn't their fault, the back glass isn't designed for that use.
I'm with him.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Of all the bike racks out there I would never hang my bike from a glass window in my car, truck, mini van....tesla, porsche.... Whatever.... It's not cool to me. No way.

And think about the OP and what he's going through..... Gee, was it the sea bee or the glass.?? A question that never be answered. I'm not going there.
Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs:
Old 05-14-21, 08:26 AM
wirelessness

Bikes: Open Cycles WI.DE.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tesla now recommends that the rear wheel mount be placed on the metal section below the back glass. NOT entirely on the back glass like above. YMMV.
Old 05-18-21, 06:23 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Just that particular glass on that particular car, which happens to be on a Tesla. I had a chance to drive a Tesla for a few months and I did not like it. Even though the glass did not break when I used a sea sucker on it. Others love it. Such is the human condition, it is very dynamic. Life is a risk. Nobody makes it out alive. Internet handwringing is a waste.
Well, at least you have chicken.
I'm missing some prior context here, I guess... but that reply had me spitting coffee on my keyboard.
Old 05-18-21, 07:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by redcon1
I'm missing some prior context here, I guess... but that reply had me spitting coffee on my keyboard.
Hard to remember that far back, but I think he had a Leeroy Jenkins reference in his profile..
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-18-21, 12:24 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Hard to remember that far back, but I think he had a Leeroy Jenkins reference in his profile..
Ha! Had to google that reference and now I remember

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.