Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 02-22-18, 09:57 AM
therhodeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Was in the same boat a few weeks back, I feel for you.
Apparently mine was a short lived version. After the one day of fatigue and fever I was basically back to 100% the next day and still feeling fine. Staying off the bike for several days to make sure I'm still good but I think I got lucky.
Old 02-22-18, 11:45 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
2hrs for me today, 5x9min @ 102%, tough but felt pretty darn good. tough for me to compare workout to workout, but felt better than last week's version of 5x8 @ 102
Old 02-22-18, 07:44 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Been a pretty bad month and a half for riding, so I havent really been posting much. Just got off an antibiotic the other day for folliculitis after dealing with it pretty much all of January. Riding sucked in January, with only every 2 or 3 rides being somewhat decent. Last week I basically ignored my bike while on the antibiotics. It was laughable how much power I was putting out..plus I could stand to be on the bike for 20-30 minutes at a time...and maybe do 100 watts. Im basically writing this whole month off. So 2 months of nothing, basically.

Not sure what to do with all of this lost time. It feels like I will never get back to normal..which is a bad thing to think, but ive been feeling so bad on the bike for what feels like forever. Will need to rethink the start of the season if I can back to some sort of normalcy in regards to training soon.
Old 02-22-18, 09:35 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
75 minutes today with 6 sets of 5x40/20's. Was surprised how well the body did. Struggled a bit getting the cadence right, but once I was dialed it was all good. (and my gd music kept stopping...erghhh)

The zwift national championships is on Saturday. I figure, what the hell, why not. I'm supposed to do a race sim workout anyways, minds well give a try!
Old 02-22-18, 10:18 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Took a week off to visit family in AZ while others raced VoS.

Yesterday I did the night social ride, but had so much pent up energy that I got a few good efforts in.

Today, 71 minutes, random short sprints and VO2. Just starting the VO2 work, and by the 3rd effort power was significantly reduced, and at the border of Z4. Did one more and shortened it to 3:30 to get better power. 95 TSS.
Old 02-23-18, 07:05 AM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
The zwift national championships is on Saturday. I figure, what the hell, why not. I'm supposed to do a race sim workout anyways, minds well give a try!
I'll have to go on a magical 10kg diet lol I haven't done any zwift races in a while, am really curious to see how I'd fare now with the B group, since my fitness is moving more toward the A territory (I'd literally have to give it my all to be 4.0)
Old 02-23-18, 09:41 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I'll have to go on a magical 10kg diet lol I haven't done any zwift races in a while, am really curious to see how I'd fare now with the B group, since my fitness is moving more toward the A territory (I'd literally have to give it my all to be 4.0)
I think for the nat'l champs (unless I'm reading it wrong) there is only one group for men (A) and one for women (B).

No work today ( I have fridays off again!) but there was lots of snow outside and my motivation to go skiing is at an all time low with my skis being out of tune and not wanting to risk injury. So i hopped on zwift and rode easy with 2 efforts. One up volcano climb (7 minutes) and the kom hill (2 minutes). Set a year best 1.5-2.5 min power. Which is awesome because I ahven't even eaten breakfast yet.
Old 02-23-18, 09:55 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Thats that post stage race fitness!

1:45 of steady z2 on the trainer, 55-60 rpm. Heart rate is looking good for the effort, power up about 10-20w for the same HR. Easy today, then hard group ride with some extra mileage tacked on Saturday, then we are off to Yosemite til Wednesday (no bike, there's snow out there!)

Kinda envious of the time the pros have to ride. One of the guys my coach works with did the same workout yesterday, but outdoors, and for 6 hours... 121 miles, dang near 6k calories.
Old 02-23-18, 10:03 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by wktmeow

1:45 of steady z2 on the trainer, 55-60 rpm. Heart rate is looking good for the effort, power up about 10-20w for the same HR. Easy today, then hard group ride with some extra mileage tacked on Saturday, then we are off to Yosemite til Wednesday (no bike, there's snow out there!)

Kinda envious of the time the pros have to ride. One of the guys my coach works with did the same workout yesterday, but outdoors, and for 6 hours... 121 miles, dang near 6k calories.
You're telling me.
My knees hurt just thinking about that workout.. And I naturally spin pretty slow in comparison to most people that race today..
Old 02-23-18, 10:17 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
You're telling me.
My knees hurt just thinking about that workout.. And I naturally spin pretty slow in comparison to most people that race today..
Ah crap I assumed mistakenly, his was self selected cadence but same pace. Oops.
Still, impressive pace for a 6 hour solo ride imo.

But yea coach is big on the occasional low cadence stuff. I worked up to about an hour of 55 rpm at sweet spot on the trainer, which was just about as awful as it sounds. A couple of the guys made it up to 90 mins. Didn't like it at the time, but I felt much better on climbs afterwards, and I can stay seated when others are standing a lot more easily now.
Old 02-23-18, 10:28 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Ah crap I assumed mistakenly, his was self selected cadence but same pace. Oops.

But yea coach is big on the occasional low cadence stuff. I worked up to about an hour of 55 rpm at sweet spot on the trainer, which was just about as awful as it sounds. A couple of the guys made it up to 90 mins. Didn't like it at the time, but I felt much better on climbs afterwards, and I can stay seated when others are standing a lot more easily now.
I did a ride last year, 3:15 on the trainer. Average cadence of 69RPM. It brought out a lot of my knee issues all in one go. I got distracted trying to play video games while riding and my cadence just kept going down, down. Mistakes were made and it hurt pretty bad for a few weeks. Not gonna happen again. I'll stick to my preferred cadence.

Also not gonna do a 3 hour ride on the trainer again any time soon lol.
Old 02-23-18, 11:17 AM
hubcyclist

I think for the nat'l champs (unless I'm reading it wrong) there is only one group for men (A) and one for women (B).
You're correct, the national champs is just men women, I was more referring to the run of the mill races by w/kg groups, I'm a bit of an in-betweener at this point, gotta try and win a B race at some point before I'm forced to be a terrible A level rider lol
Old 02-23-18, 11:52 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
@wktmeow what group ride are you rolling tomorrow? I'm going to hit 5 hrs bracketed around Chili's.
Old 02-23-18, 11:53 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

By the time this week is over I will have ridden 3 times, but at least they were all worth some TSS:

1.75 hr w 8' and 3' VO2 max intervals
1.75 hr w 2x20' at 98%
5 hr with some Z2 surrounding a high intensity group ride

looking fwd to some bigger volume NW.
Old 02-23-18, 12:52 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
You're telling me.

I do low cadence intervals on Fiesta in the drops but only 20 minutes at lower tempo power. Low cadence work is about neuromuscular / muscle fiber recruitment as it is about increasing strength. In general, on Fiesta, I use the 50/11 so I suspect younger guys would need a 53/11 or more on the flat terrain.

I have also done low cadence work on the trainer but it is more like a climbing effort in that the trainer requires constant energy from the muscles. On Fiesta or flat terrain, one is going faster such that the energy required is pulsed into the pedals by the muscles to top up kinetic energy to propel the bike.

My knees and back would want to hold a meeting if I were to do an hour of 55-60 rpm in the drops.
Old 02-23-18, 03:55 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
You're correct, the national champs is just men women, I was more referring to the run of the mill races by w/kg groups, I'm a bit of an in-betweener at this point, gotta try and win a B race at some point before I'm forced to be a terrible A level rider lol
if it's been a while since you've zwift raced, the cats are significantly easier now than they used to be. The steps aren't as bad. 2 years ago B>A was nigh on impossible. Last year it was hard. This year, winning B's puts me in the group through the race in all but the hardest and climb-y-est races.

And It's not because i'm getting stronger (which I am..) but mainly due to the number of people and the better organized race scene. My season have bounced back and forth between B and A and can definitely say the cats are easier than they used to be.
Old 02-23-18, 10:34 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Whatever fitness bump I got has been squandered - only ridden two hours this week so far.

Tonight when riding after work my fingers on my right hand hurt when grabbing the bars hard. Which is weird bc I was fine at VoS, but it’s flared up again I guess. It happened in a little crash at team camp a month ago - was getting better, now getting worse. Wtf.

Was supposed to do an RR tomorrow but skipping it now. Boo.
Old 02-23-18, 10:36 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bummer @mattm. Heal up quick.
Old 02-24-18, 08:25 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Did the zwift nationals this morning. HARRRRD race. I lasted about 15 minutes tailing the front group before I blew up. Nothing like real world racing, but I've talked about that before. Ended up riding with the 3rd group on the road. Still good for a lot of TSS and doing my race sim workout without having to bear through a structured workout.

I was watching the Canadian race after I was done and blown away by some of the numbers. Lionel Sanders (pro triathlete, won kona before) was holding high 400's low 500's on a HR of around 150BPM. Just absolutely insane numbers. And get this, he didn't win..
Old 02-24-18, 09:06 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
3hrs with sprint work in the first hour. Broke 1200w which is my "form is coming" marker. Was aiming for 5hrs but the weather was absolute **** and I was pushing my luck.
Old 02-24-18, 10:19 PM
hubcyclist

first workout I'd characterize as crappy in awhile, was doing 4x12min over unders and just didn't have the life in the legs to keep going during the 3rd set, I started at 9:30 at night and in my parents garage, so not my usual home setting, just not meant to be I guess.
Old 02-25-18, 12:01 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the zwift nationals this morning. HARRRRD race. I lasted about 15 minutes tailing the front group before I blew up. Nothing like real world racing, but I've talked about that before. Ended up riding with the 3rd group on the road. Still good for a lot of TSS and doing my race sim workout without having to bear through a structured workout.

I was watching the Canadian race after I was done and blown away by some of the numbers. Lionel Sanders (pro triathlete, won kona before) was holding high 400's low 500's on a HR of around 150BPM. Just absolutely insane numbers. And get this, he didn't win..
don't get too hung up on HR comparisons across individuals.

that said, dude probably has a huge stroke volume!
Old 02-25-18, 12:44 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Missed Snelling. Thought I might have to work today, found out late yesterday I didn’t but wasn’t thrilled about getting up at 4 to drive down there for the E3 race.

Did the River Ride. Small group, windy, thus pretty hard. On the plus side, I’ve been going on this ride for 15 years and I finally won the county line sprint.

So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice.
Old 02-25-18, 06:45 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Decided to do the indoor TT/FTP test yesterday up at the LBS. I had 0 expectations going into this, considering how my winter has been going.

Ended up being my 2nd best indoor test, to my surprise. Makes me feel a little better about where I'm at right now, at least with ftp..im sure anything over is a different story, but I will find out in a week or 2 if/when I start into intervals
Old 02-25-18, 12:39 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Supposed to do sweetspot this morning, but really wasn't motivated to. Thought I'd get to go out and ride my mtb on TOP of the snow taht fell last night, but pussied out of that too. Something like 20 degrees outside in the sun..

So I did a zwift group ride that posed as sweetspot work. Ended the week with CTL/ATL at 78 / 89, ~560TSS on less than 10 hours. Not bad, I guess. Happy to have a day off the bike tomo though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.