Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Advice for Yukon - Alaska tour?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 08:08 PM
Kent MacWilliam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm planning a week long tour from Whitehorse, Yukon to Haynes Junction and back. We're arriving July 9th. Has anyone done this trip who can advice which direction to travel (Haynes first or Haynes Jct first)? Any obvious prevailing wind to consider? How is wild camping in this region? Anything to see/do worthy of a side trip?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E1...QM&usp=sharing

I have touring experience, just not in this area. Any information will help, thanks!
Old 06-14-16, 08:44 PM
tortron

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I have done it on my pan American. Lots of camping opportunity there, I wild camped the entire way.
crazyguyonabike.com: Author Info: Tori Collins

I did it roughly the same time of year. only 1 windy day (of course it was a head wind for me) . expect to see bears every day, possibly some unfriendly moose
Old 06-15-16, 02:39 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
I did this loop in 2001: North to Alaska!

One of my favorite trips. Not sure if there is a preferred direction but I went clockwise. As Tortron mentioned you will likely see bears. I used "The Milepost" to find details of the route. I saw a number of bears. While camped in Yukon Provincial Campground something got into one of my panniers and scraped around at a plastic jar of peanut butter as well as left gashes in an apple. I slept through it so I'm not 100% certain but suspect a bear.
Old 06-15-16, 09:45 AM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Additionally, be prepared for deer and horse flies...sometimes they're even worse than mosquitoes.
I 'wild camped' in several places in Alaska and the Yukon without problems with bears, but I took the
extra 'bear awareness' steps of never having food or cooking in my tent, and hanging all of it up high
and away from camp. In one area I even used an old telegraph line because there were no high trees.
Old 06-15-16, 05:11 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As Big Lew said, mosquitoes and flies will need to be dealt with . I did so by covering up as I am not a fan of DEET . There are plenty of places to camp. Lots of bear , which should not be a problem if you take the already mentioned precaution of never allowing any kind of food in your tent, and keep your food far away from your camp. I do carry Bear Spray as well.