Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

newb looking for a computer

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-17, 07:31 PM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

Greetings. I'm in the market for a computer or cyclometer. I'm quite fresh in the hobby. My current riding is consists of cruising MUPs on a cheapo Schwinn Connection 700c Hybrid on Saturdays, and about 6 mi rides around the neighborhood a couple days in the week. If cycling keeps my interest, and I can find good enough places to ride near me, I'd like to upgrade in a season or two. Perhaps to something like the Trek DS 3, or maybe a Merlin 5 to be able to do some light MTB paths as well. Not sure yet. My main focus is to get out and just enjoy being on a bike, yet I'd like to consider the workout I'm receiving as well.

Currently I've been using S-Health on my mounted Galaxy S8, as well as my Sammy Gear Fit 2 to monitor some things. Google Maps for GPS.

As far as the key features of a computer or cyclometer I'm looking for...
Something relatively inexpensive.
No need for GPS at this point.
Speedometer
Odometer
Distance
Something that can communicate live data with or to my android phone, perhaps even integrate with S-Health.

Keep in mind, I haven't looked into other android apps that may integrate better and do something similar to S-Health.

Cadence interests me as well. Not so much currently, but something I'd like to track as I become more involved.

Is there specifically something that meets this criteria? I've briefly looked at some Cateyes, but I don't think they can communicate w/ my phone. Not sure what else is out there.

Any suggestions, help, direction, or general info would be appreciated.
Old 07-31-17, 07:56 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Just use your phone. Of course, you will need GPS unless you get dedicated speed sensor.

I use Wahoo Fitness app. It's free and you can add heart rate and cadence later if you buy the sensors.
Old 07-31-17, 07:23 PM
Karmajack

I've been using my phone lately, and it does do the job. I'd just rather have a separate dedicated trip meter and speedometer display constantly going instead of having to take my hands off and cycle thru screens and apps. Also, the more apps I had running (s-health, g-maps, pandora, Bike Computer App, etc) the less battery life I'd have. I guess it's just how I'd prefer my set up and experience to be.

After doing some more searching, it's come down to a few choices so far.

Cateye Velo 9. - Basic, cheap, non gps. Would provide me with bare essentials.

or

Garmin Edge 25 w/ cadence. - More expensive, more options that I might find useful as I gain more experience and time on a bike, sensors that can connect to S-Health (and other things). Would save phones battery life even more.

I guess right now I'm leaning more towards the Cateye. As I said, I may upgrade to a Trek sometime. If I do, I'd likely get the Bontrager duo sensors. Spending money now on pricey Garmin sensors that I may replace soon seems foolish. The cheap price of the Cateye I can write off if I get a year out of it to hold me over until I get more involved. And perhaps at that time I'd be more willing to spend bigger amounts on a higher end puter.

I'll still be doing a bit more research on similar products for a bit. If there's any more suggestions, I'm all ears.

BTW I will check out the Wahoo app as well. Thanks for that.
Old 08-01-17, 06:27 AM
Sal Bandini

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Here is screenshot of Wahoo app. It displays speed and distance. Screen stays on the whole time, so no need to take your hands off handlebars. I use Strava for my odometer.

For your limited riding it will not drain your battery much. I have several apps running in background and my battery drains about 15-20% for 1 hour rides.

Did I mention it's free?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Screenshot_20170713-143616.jpg (19.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-01-17, 07:05 AM
Waltsmith

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Imho, just get a very cheep wired computer to put on the bike, and leave all the fitness tracking stuff to apps on the phone. I just recently bought a cateye Syria with cadence of fleebay. There were quite a few dealer that have them, all under $30 and most are new in the box. I run apps on my phone that keeps track of everything else. I'm planing on getting a heat rate sensor that will also talk with the phone apps.

I recommend a wired unit because you can put it on and forget it. My last battery lasted over 3 years, and the change out was about 15 seconds. In short, once you put it on, you just use it, don't have to screw with recharging or replacing battery's for a very long time

You can get a Bluetooth sensor to transmit cadence and speed to a phone app, but why bother? For $20 you have a very readable cadence monitor in real time, you don't have to remember to turn it on- it turns it self on when you start riding.

I'm not an expert on the apps. I have been using "mapmyride". What attracted to this product is the fact that there are thousands of maps others have made around my area to view. All of it is free. I have mine set so about every mile it gives me a "status report". You don't need a on bike computer to update the phone app. The gps inside the phone will do all you need for you.
Old 08-01-17, 07:27 AM
Sal Bandini

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That's $30 more than my solution.

I was toying with idea of getting either cheap wired computer or going full blown top of line computer but figured since I don't ride long distance and always have my phone on the the handlebar why not try the free app? It works perfectly for my needs and it costs nothing to try. In the future if I ever go on longer rides I may get an Element, but for now the Fitness app, Strava, and MapMyRides serve my needs.
Old 08-01-17, 07:59 AM
Karmajack

I just got Mapmyride last night. I need to explore it more. Though on an initial test, it didn't want to map along a specific towpath I'm fond of. It went from trailhead A to trailhead B focusing on streets and avoiding the path. Perhaps I just need to toy with it more. Settings and such.

Wahoo app looks interesting. Sadly is won't connect with my Gear Fit 2 which is my current HR monitor. I do like the clear display and the info it shows and tracks. Neat stuff.
Yet it still goes against my initial goal to keep some stuff dispayed on a puter, and other stuff on my phone. I think I would prefer to have something like the Cateye displaying distance, speed, and mounted next to my phone running gps, s-health, music. etc. Though I think my Girlfriend will get good use of the Wahoo for her simpler set up.

I absolutely appreciate all the input so far. Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-17, 08:04 AM
Sal Bandini

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you're going to get simple computer get wired one. It's a little more initial setup but more reliable.