Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Delays you didn't mind.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Delays you didn't mind.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 11:12 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Delays you didn't mind.

Over the years I've been commuting by bicycle I've ended up being stopped by a number of things. Most aren't so good, like the light that turns red just before I get there or the niceholes that put me in a riskier position by refusing to go etc...
But there have been some good delays too. I had to wait to safely pass this guy wobbling along on a road bike, but didn't mind because he was out with his son who seemed to be taking his first ride on his brand new big boy bike - and without training wheels. I've also had to wait briefly for this group of people playing cricket on the bike path. I've been going through there games a couple of times a year for a few years now, and it seems like there's always one of them oblivious to the guy in the hi vis shirt with flashing lights on the handlebars and helmet. I don't mind waiting then either as the startled looks and the ribbing he gets are pretty funny. The mutual respect/smiles make it humorous for the rest of us and I wish the dog walkers I see would be so nice.

What kind of nice delays have you had?
Old 08-27-18, 11:57 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Nice and Delay don't go together in the same sentence. A delay is a delay. I hate delays of any kind, any time. I'm just sayin'......
Jon
Old 08-27-18, 12:17 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Not on a commute, but...

Some years ago, I was bombing down the last hill of Skyline Drive when I came around a corner and there was a doe standing in the middle of the road. Cautious, I slowed down. As I came to a stop, a very young (newborn?) fawn wobbled out of the grass that was almost as tall as it was, crossed the road in front of me, then leapt into the grass on the other side of the road and disappeared. Then mama followed, jumping into the rhododendron up the bank.

I didn't mind waiting one bit.
Old 08-27-18, 12:22 PM
astrodust

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
I was stopped once

My community's fourth of July parade. I forgot about it, but didn't mind the serendipitous stop to my ride.
Old 08-27-18, 12:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
ppl who stop to chat on a bike trail & block it like their conversation is a higher priority than any other use. when Wifey fell & broke her wrist, the 1st thing I did after checking on her, was move her bike off the trail so we wouldn't cause a secondary accident
Old 08-27-18, 01:02 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
don't mind stopping to buy something at a kid's lemonade stand
Old 08-27-18, 01:04 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
About a year ago a train derailed, blocking a key roadway I use to cross over the freeway. There's no "go around the other way" for me. I explained the obvious to the kind officer, spent some time talking to him and several other railway employees. Nice guys, all f them. Met two other bicycle commuters as well. After building a decent rapport, they halted their recovery operation and allowed the three bike commuters to pass our bikes between train cars and be on our way. It was inconvenient, but not altogether miserable. Attitude makes the difference. In the end, they repaired a section of the pavement at the tracks, improving what used to be a teeth-rattling crossing. Bonus!

-Kedosto
Old 08-27-18, 01:05 PM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I once stopped during a training ride to offer my co2 and spare tire to a couple who were working on their flat tire. They didn't need my assistance, but it sure felt good to still get their gratitude.
Old 08-27-18, 01:09 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
don't mind stopping to buy something at a kid's lemonade stand
Did that on Saturday. $1 for the lemonade, and a $1 tip for "excellent service." (Hey, it's SF Bay Area pricing)

-Kedosto
Old 08-27-18, 01:09 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Brofessor
I once stopped during a training ride to offer my co2 and spare tire to a couple who were working on their flat tire. They didn't need my assistance, but it sure felt good to still get their gratitude.
I usually offer while rolling ... "need anything?" only stopping if they do. this past year, only 1 taker ...
Old 08-27-18, 01:34 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I usually offer while rolling ... "need anything?" only stopping if they do. this past year, only 1 taker ...
Yep, that's my MO in these situations. I've had a couple of people who did need help and it's gratifying to be able to help them out. I've almost always got a reasonably complete set of tools, pump and patches with me and can handle most roadside repairs.

I certainly don't mind slowing right down or stopping for a family out for a ride, and I enjoy seeing young kids out, learning how to ride a bike. You really have to watch them though, they are very erratic!
Old 08-27-18, 01:45 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't mind delays so much as long as every one is friendly and courteous about it. I recently was at a stop light and pushed my button, my walk/ride green light came on and some LARGE lady snacking on a doughnut started cussing damn bicycles out the window. I am normally a very nice and well mannered guy but in this certain instance I let her know how what was coming out her mouth contradicted what was going in her mouth and the possible reason she should give bicycling a try.
Old 08-27-18, 01:57 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
One July the 4th I came across a guy standing in the middle of the wrong intersection to stand in looking at a map. He was a British guy finishing his third cross country tour of the US. We chatted for a few minutes, and I helped him with his directions. I also had to remind him of who won, considering the day.
Old 08-27-18, 02:08 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
When large wildlife stands in the middle of the road and doesn't want to move. I just stop and enjoy the close up view. Eventually they always find somewhere else to go.

I could do without cattle crossings, though. Cows/steers leave a trail of liquid poop everywhere, and heaven help you if you don't have fenders!
Old 08-27-18, 02:15 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Sometimes I'll look up and see a spectacular sky against the horizon and just have to stop and stare at it.

In my entire life, I've never said "Man...taking that minute to enjoy the beauty of nature was a total waste of time"
Old 08-27-18, 02:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Did that on Saturday. $1 for the lemonade, and a $1 tip for "excellent service." (Hey, it's SF Bay Area pricing)

-Kedosto
When I did my first cross-PA tour there were two kids--Mia and J.J.--who had a refreshment stand just off the GAP trail. I stopped and was pleased to find that they had Mountain Dew made with real sugar, not HFC. Have a cute picture at home.

While touring I didn't mind pulling to the other side of the road in Montana to wait for this guy and his friend to pass. As he did, he doffed his hat and asked "What's your plan? I rattled if off and he replied "Sounds like a plan!" Wonderful experience.

Old 08-27-18, 02:40 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by robertj298
Sometimes you just have to slow down and take in the view.
Objectifying women in this Forum is strongly frowned upon. I strongly recommend you delete your post.
Old 08-27-18, 02:41 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Allowing for the person presenting the nicehole to proceed nicely turned into an accident. Should I have taken the nicehole's gesture, I'd probably not be here typing this reply.
Old 08-27-18, 02:52 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Troul
nicehole...
Good job reposting a photo that never should have been posted in the first place. I strongly suggest that you delete you post so the mods don't have to.
Old 08-27-18, 03:13 PM
Prester John

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy the rest I get at every red light.
Old 08-27-18, 03:39 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I don't mind delays caused by stopping to scoop up cash on the side of the road. I'll happily forgo hammering towards a PR any day for that.
Old 08-27-18, 03:48 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I, too have stopped to help those with mechanical problems. I've called paramedics to report people seemingly passed out out of sight of traffic, I've stopped to report dangerous vandalism (like signs bent into traffic, and dangerously compromised light poles) and I've had to stop to report some wildfires during fire season. Oh, yeah, and a couple of years ago I saw a woman being forced into a car by two men. I pulled out of sight to report that one.
Old 08-27-18, 03:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When I did my first cross-PA tour there were two kids--Mia and J.J.--who had a refreshment stand just off the GAP trail. I stopped and was pleased to find that they had Mountain Dew made with real sugar, not HFC. Have a cute picture at home.

While touring I didn't mind pulling to the other side of the road in Montana to wait for this guy and his friend to pass. As he did, he doffed his hat and asked "What's your plan? I rattled if off and he replied "Sounds like a plan!" Wonderful experience.

That photo perfectly illustrates why I get impatient with city folks who move to the country and don't respect the original purpose of farm/ranch to market roads.

Lots of former farms and ranches are sold and redeveloped as pricey homes on cheap land, including the farm/ranch land owned by my great-grandparents. Combined with lower gas prices, it encourages city folks to buy rural homes and commute longer distances. They can get a larger home for a fraction of the price of a smaller home in the city.

It's not too bad when locals buy those homes -- they still understand the tradition of using farm to market roads. But too many city folks drive on those FM roads as if they're superhighways, blasting along at 70 mph heedless of other folks who still use these narrow two lane blacktops for slow moving farm and ranch equipment, cattle and horses, etc.

And infrastructure is always the last thing to be developed. First they'll rezone the land and build the homes, with little or no provision for the increased traffic, burden on the tax base, waste management, etc.

One delay I wouldn't mind -- taking the time to plan these developments better, including widening the rural roads and providing safer access for cattle, horses, pedestrians and cyclists. But nothing is ever done until enough people are killed.
Old 08-27-18, 04:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
One delay I wouldn't mind -- taking the time to plan these developments better, including widening the rural roads and providing safer access for cattle, horses, pedestrians and cyclists. But nothing is ever done until enough people are killed.
unfortunately until greed can actually be caught ahead of the approvals to those developers, that'll always be ignored.

One proactive way you could help is to get on the boards that permit those developments.
Old 08-27-18, 05:22 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Several times I've stopped to render mechanical assistance to other bikers who might have otherwise had to end their ride at that point. In one case, I removed a brake mounting nut from my bike and installed it on the other guy's bike. I was loading up after a ride and he had many miles to go.

One day I slowed down to leave room for 3 kids on skateboards. They were smokin' down a steep incline which intersected my street from the right. It was really cool to see them swoop in and make the 90-degree turn going faster than I was.

Lots of wildlife around here. I always brake for animals, large and small.

Also lots of soccer moms in my neighborhood who walk for fitness, and they don't always realize I'm coming up behind them. I'll slow down and leave them some room. Never know when they might return the favor.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.