Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Multitool for 2020 Domane?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-19, 04:36 PM
WarthogOnWheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just started riding my new Domane and I'm loving it. But the new flat kit compartment doesn't actually come with any tools (come on Trek, just include them!). In any case, I'm wondering if anyone know what multitool will fit in the slot that is in the compartment. Bontrager has two. If someone know let me know otherwise I will find out and let you know.
I have to say I am really loving the new Domane. I got out on some gravel roads today and it is unbelievably smooth. Highly recommend it!
Old 08-17-19, 04:54 PM
skipm

Bikes: 2023 Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WarthogOnWheels
Just started riding my new Domane and I'm loving it. But the new flat kit compartment doesn't actually come with any tools (come on Trek, just include them!). In any case, I'm wondering if anyone know what multitool will fit in the slot that is in the compartment. Bontrager has two. If someone know let me know otherwise I will find out and let you know.
I have to say I am really loving the new Domane. I got out on some gravel roads today and it is unbelievably smooth. Highly recommend it!
It's called the Bontrager BITS Integrated Multi-Tool, and your LBS will need to order for you.
Old 08-17-19, 04:57 PM
WarthogOnWheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skipm
It's called the Bontrager BITS Integrated Multi-Tool, and your LBS will need to order for you.
Hey thanks for the quick reply skipm. I'll pick on up.
Old 08-17-19, 06:24 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Best Bike Multitool
Old 08-19-19, 03:07 PM
WarthogOnWheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skipm
skipm waa totally right. For some reason it's not listed on any of the Trek sites but when I hit my bike shop they had pre-ordered some in preparation for the new Domanes.

I opted for a Red Zeppelin CO2 valve instead of the recommended Bontrager one and it fits perfectly in the BITS bag. My Domane is now all set with it integrated flat kit. No more seat bag!
Old 08-20-19, 08:34 AM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
For that small space, consider just jamming the tube up the downtube instead of in the folding thing. I've had these tools and they were all very small -
https://amzn.to/2TLIfWR
https://amzn.to/2ZbmDZ7
https://amzn.to/2ZhNRZO

One is a mini ratchet, one is a Tq wrench, and the last is a small toolset. I toss the carrying case, and they are all tiny.
Old 08-21-19, 05:25 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I have a 2017 Domane SL6 and have been loving it. When I saw the 2020 ones come out, that storage compartment in the down tube made me wish I'd waited a few years! I don't like carrying things on my back, so when I went from a touring bike with rear rack trunk to the Domane with just a saddle bag, I lost the ability to easily carry a decent lock and more food for longer rides.

But I added a small top tube bag for that, just not as cool as stashing the tire repair stuff in the tube!
Old 03-19-20, 11:37 AM
dipaolom

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have had my 2020 Domane for about 3 weeks--it is really amazing (it repalced a 2013 Trek Madone 2.1). What the reviews say is true--it REALLY dampens the vibrations (I live in Flanders region in Belgium where we have rough roads and lots of very cobbly cobblestones and pavé). It's not just marketing hype.

What was really interesting is that on my first ride I took the Domane out on a 23 mile time trial route that I use. I felt like I was going soooo slow. In the end, though, it was my fastest time ever. I think that becasue the ride was so smooth (due to the IsoSpeed and the 32mm (!!) stock tires, that it didn't feel fast. We associate jarring and vibrations with speed. Well, no more!!
Likes For dipaolom:
Old 03-19-20, 11:49 AM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Hey fellow Domane rider! I too have the 2020 SL5 and absolutely love it! I'll have to check and see if you posted a pic of it in the sticky thread. Anyway, I went on the Trek website and ordered the multitool from there and it was delivered after a week or so (Amazon has spoiled me with delivery wait times). Anyway, it fits great.
The tool itself is pretty small, but does fit perfectly.

Old 03-19-20, 12:05 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
Hey fellow Domane rider! I too have the 2020 SL5 and absolutely love it! I'll have to check and see if you posted a pic of it in the sticky thread. Anyway, I went on the Trek website and ordered the multitool from there and it was delivered after a week or so (Amazon has spoiled me with delivery wait times). Anyway, it fits great.
The tool itself is pretty small, but does fit perfectly.

Cute.. Though IMO looking at this, achieved by making the tool heads themselves very short .. Try to get leverage using that 8mm head? And $35?
Likes For Sy Reene: