Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph

Old 09-09-19, 01:11 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Lots of people here have made the decision not to ride on roads anymore for the very reason that they can't trust motorists. That's about the only thing you can do to guarantee your safety as far as cars are concerned. I am not avoiding all roads, but have changed my riding habits to minimize contact with cars. For example, I would not have been chosen to ride that road in OP. And if I had to I would have ridden right of the fog line. Traffic going 55 mph and me going 20 mph is too great a difference in speed for me to be comfortable.
Old 09-09-19, 01:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick
I am still waiting for your answer to my question. What is your solution?
First Stop dreaming that future technological advances, advertising and promotional brochures and AV promoters' safety hype that may or may not ever be fielded will protect bicyclists who seem to ignore their own safety, from collisions while riding in a traffic lane on a high speed road.

In this case the solution, as in most likely prevention of the collision suffered by the bicyclist, was to ride on the available wide shoulder of the road. The rider chose to ignore that solution for whatever reason, perhaps he was like some BF posters dreaming about Elon Musk brand "solutions" or his video camera to protect him from harm.
Old 09-09-19, 02:46 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The rider chose to ignore that solution [ride on the shoulder] for whatever reason...
FULL STOP.

Someone who so LOVES to ride a bike that they ride that road doesn’t deserve to get second guessed by randoms on the Internut.

There is ZERO evidence that they had no clue. They chose one of the awful choices on how to get from A to B. We often are forced to make these choices.

The fact that YOU would choose differently is irrelevant.

Bottom line. It’s about the blatantly obvious failure of the DRIVER not the choices made by the RIDER.

Now back to our regularly scheduled parade of people with cat-like reflexes. And blinky lights. Many many blinky lights.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-09-19 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 02:50 PM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
First Stop dreaming that future technological advances, advertising and promotional brochures and AV promoters' safety hype that may or may not ever be fielded will protect bicyclists who seem to ignore their own safety, from collisions while riding in a traffic lane on a high speed road.

In this case the solution, as in most likely prevention of the collision suffered by the bicyclist, was to ride on the available wide shoulder of the road. The rider chose to ignore that solution for whatever reason, perhaps he was like some BF posters dreaming about Elon Musk brand "solutions" or his video camera to protect him from harm.
If everybody thought like you, we were still living in caves. Actually you know what, i am wrong. Becuase this kind of mindset would probably bring the end of our species, long before the caves were an option.
Old 09-09-19, 03:01 PM
mr_bill

p.s. Had he been riding in the left tire track, all would be well.

And that’s the fundamental issue with the usual gang proclaiming that THEY wouldn’t get hit because.

-mr. bill
Old 09-09-19, 03:01 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
FULL STOP.

Someone who so LOVES to ride a bike that they ride that road doesn’t deserve to get second guessed by randoms on the Internut.

There is ZERO evidence that they had no clue. They chose one of the awful choices on how to get from A to B. We often are forced to make these choices.

Bottom line. It’s about the blatantly obvious failure of the DRIVER not the choices made by the RIDER.

Now back to our regularly scheduled parade of people with cat-like reflexes. And blinky lights. Many many blinky lights.

-mr. bill
Isn't that what these forums are for? Hopefully, some new riders may learn how to minimize their chances of getting injured in an accident. Riding in the lane or on the fog line on a 4-lane highway is a risky endeavor. There were clearly other options available to the rider who got hit.

Of course it's the driver's fault but that doesn't mean the rider couldn't have taken some actions to prevent getting hit.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 09-09-19, 03:20 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by gregf83
Isn't that what these forums are for?
That’s why I always take the lane.
That’s why I never take the lane.
That’s why I always ride on shoulders.
That’s why I never ride on shoulders.
That’s why I always ride on MUPs.
That’s why I never ride on MUPS.

And my favorite, I would never ride that road, but if I did, that’s why....

That’s why, that’s why, that’s why.

What have we “learned?”

-mr. bill
Old 09-09-19, 03:28 PM
mr_bill

p.s. He rides in Central Park now. He still lives in Arizona.

“Critiquing” real people is what these forums are “for?”

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-09-19 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 03:38 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
We learn nothing, we already know.

That's why I don't ride on roads. The Advocacy of safety forum.

Read every thread. It's pointless me doing it. Topic after topic after topic... Every problem. Because.. riding on roads.

That's why I don't ride on roads. It's bliss.
Old 09-09-19, 03:53 PM
jenniferny

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did anyone else notice that as the car was approaching the cyclist it was moving from lane center to the right, and after the impact the car appeared to be driving on the right side of the white line.

Since the car was moving from lane center to the right and was over the white line at impact, even if the cyclist was on the shoulder it is still possible the cyclist would have been hit.

Last edited by jenniferny; 09-09-19 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 03:59 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK

Read every thread. It's pointless me doing it. Topic after topic after topic... Every problem. Because.. riding on roads.

That's why these types of websites are called discussion forums. We discuss things. Don't expect anybody to resolve problems here that lawmakers couldn't for the past 100 years. There may be good ideas here and there for people with specific concerns to try out, but as you can see, for every concern there may be a hundred different variations of solutions.

As far as the problem being in the driver's eyes goes, I'm glad that over thirty years ago when I went house shopping, I knew I wanted something on the East side of the city. No morning or evening sun in my eyes during my commutes.

Last edited by Daniel4; 09-09-19 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 04:32 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK

Originally Posted by Daniel4
That's why these types of websites are called discussion forums. We discuss things. Don't expect anybody to resolve problems here that lawmakers couldn't for the past 100 years.

There may be good ideas here and there for people with specific concerns to try out, but as you can see, for every concern there may be a hundred different variations of solutions.
So true.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
(from a now-closed thread) I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before. In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy.
Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply. Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.”
Originally Posted by Daniel4
As far as the problem being in the driver's eyes goes, I'm glad that over thirty years ago when I went house shopping, I knew I wanted something on the East side of the city. No morning or evening sun in my eyes during my commutes.
Good planning, and indisputably good advice if you can pull it off (and if you are commuting West).
Old 09-09-19, 04:35 PM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
FULL STOP.

-mr. bill
No, its not irrelevant at all. Everything we do there are risks involved. You can choose to ride right on the edge of the white line like this guy was, or you can choose to ride as far on the berm as possible. You can have a mirror on your bike, and when traffic is approaching you can choose to move over. You can choose to be more aware of your surroundings when riding on a road. Or you can choose to ride and think no one is going to run you over. It really does come down to the choices we make. Absolutely it was the drivers fault. Would he have got hit if he was off the edge of the road? From the video I saw, no he wouldn't have. Kind of like the guy that steps out in front of a car on a crosswalk and gets hit. Guess who is at fault according to the law? If you ride the white line on a highway where cars are going 55mph, and get hit, it will be the drivers fault all the time every time. Some people get hit just by making stupid choices. Sorry but the way I see it. the bike rider was making a stupid choice to ride where he was riding. So if someone chose to ride the berm or not ride that road at all, that choice is absolutely relevant.
Old 09-09-19, 04:40 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by jenniferny
Did anyone else notice that as the car was approaching the cyclist it was moving from lane center to the right, and after the impact the car appeared to be driving on the right side of the white line.

Since the car was moving from lane center to the right and was over the white line at impact, even if the cyclist was on the shoulder it is still possible the cyclist would have been hit.
Yes. Which is why which side of the paint (or rumble) is pretty much not relevant here.

-mr. bill
Old 09-09-19, 04:50 PM
Alzerbster

Yes. Which is why which side of the paint (or rumble) is pretty much not relevant here.

-mr. bill
If you stop the video right at impact, the guys front tire even appears to be inside the white line. Nowhere in that video does it show the car over the white line. Or even on it.
Old 09-09-19, 05:03 PM
NeilBurt

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Getting hit.

A lady broadsided me at 30mph, claiming the sun was in her eyes and I had too much dark clothing on. The only reason she stopped was because there were so many witnesses filling their cars at the gas station on the corner and immediately came to help, bringing me paper towels to stop the bleeding, I was cut up bad. My State Farm auto policy's uninsured motorist covered my medical, because a person with the lack of driving skills that she exhibited, doesn't have any insurance. So I recommend every cyclist reading this get the uninsured motorist and make sure it covers you walking or cycling as State Farm's does. Just a helpful hint from your buddy Burt.
Likes For NeilBurt:
Old 09-09-19, 05:52 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Alzerbster
If you stop the video right at impact, the guys front tire even appears to be inside the white line. Nowhere in that video does it show the car over the white line. Or even on it.

p.s. The guy?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-09-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 06:05 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
So true. Good planning, and indisputably good advice if you can pull it off (and if you are commuting West).
But nor’easters....

Couldn’t happen to them though, since they head west in the morning and east at night. Forever?

(Best laid plans, but then jobs said nope, so I commuted to NH and my spouse headed to RI.)

-mr. bill
Old 09-09-19, 06:23 PM
VARider54

Bikes: Felt Z5, Univega Supra Sport, Ridley X-Trail, Raleigh M50, Schwinn Unicycle

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Who needs to avoid whom?

So many of these comments blame the victim. This rider appeared to be doing everything right. He doesn't appear to be swerving, he has a red flasher on his bike, he's staying as far to the right as is reasonably possible. Two other vehicles passed him without incident. Nothing in this video makes me believe he is to share any of the blame. He shouldn't have to avoid being hit.

If you are overtaking anybody or anything from behind, you are responsible for avoiding a collision, especially if you are piloting 3500 pounds of steel and glass at 55mph. If there is one activity, other than some professional sports, where this is not true, I'd like to hear about it.
Old 09-09-19, 06:42 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by VARider54
So many of these comments blame the victim. This rider appeared to be doing everything right. He doesn't appear to be swerving, he has a red flasher on his bike, he's staying as far to the right as is reasonably possible. Two other vehicles passed him without incident. Nothing in this video makes me believe he is to share any of the blame. He shouldn't have to avoid being hit.

If you are overtaking anybody or anything from behind, you are responsible for avoiding a collision, especially if you are piloting 3500 pounds of steel and glass at 55mph. If there is one activity, other than some professional sports, where this is not true, I'd like to hear about it.
No one is blaming the victim. It is absolutely 100% the driver's fault. What folks are saying is that since there's little we can do to influence driver behaviour, we can only choose what we do ourselves to keep from being hit. Most are saying that the they would have chosen to ride further right.

I was struck from behind once by an intoxicated driver. I know it was 100% the driver's fault, yet I still analyze the collision and ask what I could have done differently to have a another outcome. Am I blaming myself? Of course not. I ask it to learn from it.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 09-09-19, 06:51 PM
Alzerbster

Okay, I stand corrected. The cars tires are on the line. But that is after impact. Still yet its pretty irresponsible to be riding that close to the edge of the road, when he obviously had room to ride three or four feet further to the left. The point I'm trying to make is not to take blame away from the motorist, but to point out the bike rider could have clearly made a better choice in riding further off the road. People make mistakes all the time. Its each persons responsibility to remove themselves from harm because of mistakes people make. That is if they care to do so. I know if I was riding along that road I would not have been riding anywhere close to that white line, and off the road as far as possible. Our society is all about removing all blame for an injury if possible. No matter how irresponsible one is. Kind of like the people that have their fingers cut off because they stuck them under the deck of a running lawn mower. Not their fault at all. It was the mower manufactures fault for not warning them of such danger. People get killed and injured all the time for making bad choices. A lot of times there is just someone or something else to heap all the blame on. There is a thing called common sense that has escaped a lot of people anymore.
Old 09-09-19, 06:57 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by mcours2006
No one is blaming the victim.
Originally Posted by Alzerbster
No matter how irresponsible one is. Kind of like the people that have their fingers cut off because they stuck them under the deck of a running lawn mower. Not their fault at all. It was the mower manufactures fault for not warning them of such danger. People get killed and injured all the time for making bad choices. A lot of times there is just someone or something else to heap all the blame on. There is a thing called common sense that has escaped a lot of people anymore.
BUT NO ONE.

-mr. bill
Old 09-09-19, 06:57 PM
Alzerbster

Originally Posted by VARider54

Again not trying to remove blame from the driver. You say the rider is staying as far right as reasonably possible? You must have seen a different video than the one I watched.
Old 09-09-19, 07:07 PM
Alzerbster

p.s. The guy?

-mr. bill
trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill are you? This photo is how many feet after "The Guy" hit the bike??? Dont make things up to support your argument. Even after impact you can say he was not over the line. Again point is, why was the bike rider riding on the white line or at least very very close to it?
Old 09-09-19, 07:17 PM
mcours2006

BUT NO ONE.

-mr. bill
Yeah, well my comment precedes his...and likening being hit by an inattentive driver to losing a finger because you stuck it under a mower is, well, pretty silly, and undermines poster's credibility.

But I will amend my previous comment by saying that no reasonable person would blame the victim.😏
Likes For mcours2006:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.