Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

It's official...I'm allergic to exercise

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 01:37 PM
ckaspar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well not really but kinda. The doc thinks that I have been having hives and "itchy spells" because of all the working out I have been doing, namely the riding back and forth to work. I'm sad. I was told I had to drive for a week to see if that makes it better.

I am not thrilled.

I asked about this being a possibility in the "Training and Nutrition" section but never got a response so I am gonna ask y'all. You guys ever hear of this type of thing before?
Old 09-12-12, 01:44 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not in the medical field at all, but I doubt the exertion from riding your bike is the culprit. You could be exposing yourself to some environmental cause while on the bike, but that's all. Typical questions are have you recently changed your laundry detergent or body soap/personal hygiene agent? How about any changes in your diet, like something you weren't ingesting before?
Old 09-12-12, 01:55 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Yeah, increased sweat could increase intake of detergent left on fabrics. You could also be riding through some pollen or mold spores that are causing a reaction. Other than that, I'm stumped. I know I've been getting attacked by mosquitoes on my rides recently. Maybe you're allergic to their bites? Maybe you're brushing against poison ivy?

The doctor is just trying to narrow down potential causes, not stop you from cycling entirely.
Old 09-12-12, 01:55 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the car does help, try the following:
1. Change your route.
2. Cover up when you ride - light full sleeved shirt and trouser - maybe even a face mask to cover your nose? The kind used in hospitals?
Old 09-12-12, 01:58 PM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Not in the medical field at all, but I doubt the exertion from riding your bike is the culprit. You could be exposing yourself to some environmental cause while on the bike, but that's all. Typical questions are have you recently changed your laundry detergent or body soap/personal hygiene agent? How about any changes in your diet, like something you weren't ingesting before?
Nah, we went through all that. It started after I started riding and doing a workout video at home after the ride. I don't ride leisurely either. I tend to push hard as much as possible. I keep my heart rate over 135 bpm for the 45 minute ride or so and that includes stops at lights which brings the rate down. I do consider my riding to be some pretty hard exercise.
Old 09-12-12, 02:01 PM
ratdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckaspar
Well not really but kinda. The doc thinks that I have been having hives and "itchy spells" because of all the working out I have been doing, namely the riding back and forth to work. I'm sad. I was told I had to drive for a week to see if that makes it better.

I am not thrilled.

I asked about this being a possibility in the "Training and Nutrition" section but never got a response so I am gonna ask y'all. You guys ever hear of this type of thing before?
There you go, I've help to identify in bold what you're really allergic to....
Old 09-12-12, 02:03 PM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
^ Yeah, increased sweat could increase intake of detergent left on fabrics. You could also be riding through some pollen or mold spores that are causing a reaction. Other than that, I'm stumped. I know I've been getting attacked by mosquitoes on my rides recently. Maybe you're allergic to their bites? Maybe you're brushing against poison ivy?

The doctor is just trying to narrow down potential causes, not stop you from cycling entirely.
I could see the intake of the detergent but I have reactions on places that don't normally contact much detergent stuff. My hands were the culprit a few days ago.

I do ride through a bike trail that runs parallel to a "river" here in LA and a park as well. Certainly not from bush contact. I never touch anything while riding. It is all open paved roads.

I am aware what he is trying to do. He even said I could take it easy when riding but driving would be better to eliminate the exercise as an issue.

Another option that he mentioned but was not concerned about was lymphoma. Apparently lymphoma can cause itching but he is not worried about it but is having be get a chest x-ray anyway just for 100% sure.
Old 09-12-12, 02:03 PM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ratdog
there you go, i've help to identify in bold what you're really allergic to....
right!?!?!?!
Old 09-12-12, 02:10 PM
ratdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ckaspar,

Was just joking, but on a more serious note, have you happened to notice any changes to the environment along you route? Perhaps nearby construction which may be introducing something which you are sensitive to which may not have been present before?
Old 09-12-12, 02:17 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Excessive exercise has been known to suppress the immune system.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-12-12, 02:23 PM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ckaspar,

Was just joking, but on a more serious note, have you happened to notice any changes to the environment along you route? Perhaps nearby construction which may be introducing something which you are sensitive to which may not have been present before?
I knew you were joking and I was agreeing. lol

Nothing really new that I can think of.

I'm gonna look up more stuff on exercise and histamine release.
Old 09-12-12, 02:23 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
tell your wife the doc said you need to ride more.

problem solved!
Old 09-12-12, 02:43 PM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'd be proud of me chef. I rode all the way to the doc. 19 miles and that was to start my day...then I rode to work another 7 miles from the doc...then I am going to ride home another 11 miles.

I say he would be proud because he gave me grief last month when I drove to a seminar 14 miles form my house instead of riding.
Old 09-12-12, 02:48 PM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.livestrong.com/article/29...ease-exercise/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_urticaria

Seems legit that the exercising can cause issues like I am experiencing. I'll take Thursday and Friday off from riding and that should give me some sort of an answer. 4 days of no exercise. If that don't solve it then it must be something else. I'm also going to try to drink as much water as I can stand to push as many toxins out as I can as well.
Old 09-12-12, 02:49 PM
ratdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ckasper,

Any new medications or change in diet? Things like use of niacin supplements will give the same sympthoms.
Old 09-12-12, 02:57 PM
otis66

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It could be what you are wearing during your work out or the detergent being used to wash you clothes. I got a rash once and it turns out the detergent being used to wash my work uniforms was the cause. I had to bring my work uniforms home once a week and re-wash them.
Old 09-12-12, 03:27 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I'd rather cover myself in calamine/hydrocortizone/aloe/whatever and keep riding.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 09-12-12, 03:32 PM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ckasper,

Any new medications or change in diet? Things like use of niacin supplements will give the same sympthoms.
Negative. The only med I take is the anti-histamine I take to keep the itching at bay.

Originally Posted by otis66
It could be what you are wearing during your work out or the detergent being used to wash you clothes. I got a rash once and it turns out the detergent being used to wash my work uniforms was the cause. I had to bring my work uniforms home once a week and re-wash them.
Nah, same detergent we have used for years. I doubt the clothing too because when it started I was riding in work clothes. Now I wear workout clothes and still experience the same stuff.

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust
I'd rather cover myself in calamine/hydrocortizone/aloe/whatever and keep riding.
Been doing that for months sadly.
Old 09-12-12, 06:45 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd try another form of equally strenuous exercise to see if it has the same effect.

-G
Old 09-12-12, 06:51 PM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmt13
I'd try another form of equally strenuous exercise to see if it has the same effect.

-G
The interesting thing is that it all started when I was riding daily then doing the Insanity workout videos after I got home from work. 2 weeks into the series I broke out for the first time. Since then I have had regular incidents. I finished the Insanity 60 days stuff but have been done with that for a few weeks now. I have continued riding, obviously.

Gonna take tomorrow and Friday off which will give me 4 days off the bike. Gonna try not to take and anti-histamines to see how it all goes.
Old 09-12-12, 08:07 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You'd be proud of me chef. I rode all the way to the doc. 19 miles and that was to start my day...then I rode to work another 7 miles from the doc...then I am going to ride home another 11 miles.

I say he would be proud because he gave me grief last month when I drove to a seminar 14 miles form my house instead of riding.
I am glad you are (finally) seeing my way!
Old 09-13-12, 11:34 AM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
I am glad you are (finally) seeing my way!
I know right?!?! LOL

Anyway, interesting thing happened to me last night and this morning. I actually felt a little depressed. Certainly not a clinical case or anything but I could tell I was bummed about, sadly, choosing not to ride today. This morning was really weird in that I didn't get ready for riding but was actually getting ready for work, I am used to doing this in the bathroom at work now. It just felt all weird. Hopefully this hive thing gets figured out in the next few days because I am not gonna stop riding.

Funny how we are creatures of habit. In February of this year I never thought of riding my bike to work on a regular basis. Now that I have been doing it so much I feel it has become a part of me and who I am. Here is to an itch free next few days and happy riding again on Monday!!
Old 09-13-12, 11:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Any where in from here, on the NW Coast, has been Hot,
heat related stuff has been known to happen..

like lap Swimming?
Old 09-13-12, 12:15 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know right?!?! LOL

Anyway, interesting thing happened to me last night and this morning. I actually felt a little depressed. Certainly not a clinical case or anything but I could tell I was bummed about, sadly, choosing not to ride today. This morning was really weird in that I didn't get ready for riding but was actually getting ready for work, I am used to doing this in the bathroom at work now. It just felt all weird. Hopefully this hive thing gets figured out in the next few days because I am not gonna stop riding.

Funny how we are creatures of habit. In February of this year I never thought of riding my bike to work on a regular basis. Now that I have been doing it so much I feel it has become a part of me and who I am. Here is to an itch free next few days and happy riding again on Monday!!
I know exactly what you mean. I drove in today, have to take the bike to LBS for tuneup and possibly wheel truing. Called in yesterday to see if he could give it on the same day (I would have been able to ride then!) But that isn't going to happen, so I had to drive, with the bike in the back. I may miss tomorrow's ride as well, since I will have to go pick up the bike. I'm definitely grumpy today. Had a hard time getting started on my day - just didn't feel like coming in to work. My wife commented on it, but I just passed it off as an off-day. If I had told her it may be because of the bike, she'd have a good laugh! She'll likely guess it anyway - the pitfalls of marrying someone who knows you too well.

Incidentally, you didn't do something like switch deodorants or similar right? I once had trouble because of that.
Old 09-13-12, 12:58 PM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treadtread
I know exactly what you mean. I drove in today, have to take the bike to LBS for tuneup and possibly wheel truing. Called in yesterday to see if he could give it on the same day (I would have been able to ride then!) But that isn't going to happen, so I had to drive, with the bike in the back. I may miss tomorrow's ride as well, since I will have to go pick up the bike. I'm definitely grumpy today. Had a hard time getting started on my day - just didn't feel like coming in to work. My wife commented on it, but I just passed it off as an off-day. If I had told her it may be because of the bike, she'd have a good laugh! She'll likely guess it anyway - the pitfalls of marrying someone who knows you too well.

Incidentally, you didn't do something like switch deodorants or similar right? I once had trouble because of that.
Funny creatures aren't we??

No. I have not changed a thing. I have actually resorted to not using any type of body cleaner/deodorizer for a few days to make sure but as best I can tell nothing has changed. This has been a 4-5 month ordeal and I am racking my brain trying to come up with anything new and the only thing that has really changed is that I am MUCH more physically active. It used to be, wake up, drive to work, drive home, watch TV, to go sleep, repeat. I bought my bike in February and had slowly been adding days of riding. In May it hit me and has been an ongoing problem ever since. I have read that hives and itching is very hard to actually diagnose the cause when they go on for this long. They may just disappear one day. As I keep thinking the ONLY thing that is out of the norm for me is the riding to and from work nearly daily but I have no plans to give it up. I 'll take meds and live with it first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.