Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Down 55 lbs and stoked to ride again!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 12:53 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts

Last summer was a so so year for riding. I got maybe 600 miles in, but my wife needed an operation and I was focused on losing weight and practicing Tae Kwon Do, so my riding was way down.

That said, I changed my mindset on food, cutting out most refined carbs, sugar, and a lot of other junk I thought I could get away with eating. I was wrong. By last summer, I was the heaviest I had ever been, even with riding and other physical activities.

I started my new eating program 7 months ago, and haven't looked back. I was down 25 lbs by September, and now down 55 lbs. Weight loss is slowing but still trending downwards. I hope to lose another 25 lbs by summer.

This spring, I will be out riding a lot more, and I hope the weight loss will result in better performance on the bike.

Last edited by MRT2; 01-27-20 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-27-20, 12:56 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
wow, congratulations! That's an awesome achievement, and I'm sure it will translate into improved performance. I found that losing weight made a big difference for me, not just in terms of hill climbing but overall comfort on the bike, better endurance, fewer aches and pains all over.

Well done!
Likes For winston63:
Old 01-27-20, 01:03 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by winston63
wow, congratulations! That's an awesome achievement, and I'm sure it will translate into improved performance. I found that losing weight made a big difference for me, not just in terms of hill climbing but overall comfort on the bike, better endurance, fewer aches and pains all over.

Well done!
The scary thing for me is, I was able to ride a lot and still carry a lot of weight. One of the things I needed to change, both with bike riding and my other big interest, Tae Kwon Do. I was doing both at 300 lbs, but eating enough to carry that much weight. The first few weeks of the diet were tough. It takes the body time to get used to not having a constant supply of calories, but eventually, the body adjusts and fat starts to come off.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 01-27-20, 01:13 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Wow great job!

Even without riding much you’re going to be way faster on the bike, that’ll be fun. Enjoy.
Old 01-28-20, 07:56 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Great achievement my friend and very inspirational. I'm down about 26lbs since late summer 2019 but have plateaued a bit so will knuckle down in February.

Keep it going!
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 01-28-20, 08:30 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
CONGRATS on the weight loss!!! I know how much a difference weight loss made for me. Good luck getting miles in.
Old 01-29-20, 09:16 PM
k8t

Bikes: Novarra Randonee, Specialized Dolce Elite, Santana Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Congratulations! Would you be willing to share a typical day of meals? I'm just back on my bike and trying to drop the pounds too. Your story is inspirational!
Old 01-30-20, 03:01 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
... I was focused on losing weight and practicing Tae Kwon Do, so my riding was way down. That said, I changed my mindset on food, cutting out most refined carbs, sugar, and a lot of other junk I thought I could get away with eating. I was wrong. By last summer, I was the heaviest I had ever been, even with riding and other physical activities.
Funny, isn't it, how vital the cardio-oriented calorie-burning activity really is, paired with nutrition well-matched to that level of expenditure. "Match" incorrectly, and it's a fair bet one's weight can grow rapidly. Get it "right" and it's amazing, as you say, how the body can adjust and get the metabolism going again.

Without a tougher cardio regimen, I find it much harder to maintain. Over the years, my metabolism has dropped significantly below what it once was, when (back in the day) I was a distance runner who also did ~50mi per week or more. Once the running got nixed, and overall activity dropped due to injuries, the weight started packing on. I've maintained for the past 2yrs or so, so I'm decently matching intake to expenditure. But I find that without the longer, tougher cardio that's regularly (daily) part of my regimen, it's darned tough for me to continue losing.

Congrats on the changes so far. Keep up the great work. It'll come off. Just keep the exercise "up" and at a sufficient intensity to burn away what you need.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 02-09-20 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo correction -- 50mi/wk
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 01-30-20, 05:10 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by k8t
Congratulations! Would you be willing to share a typical day of meals? I'm just back on my bike and trying to drop the pounds too. Your story is inspirational!
Sure.
Breakfast is a couple of eggs, maybe a slice of deli turkey or cheese, and sometimes a tablespoon of hummus. Coffee with skim milk and Stevia, no sugar.

Lunch - One smoothie consisting of a half a banana, one scoop of protein powder, half a cup of coffee, and half cup of milk, 2 tablespoons of plain non sweetened yogurt.
Afternoon snack - one medium apple
Dinner - a large kale salad with 4 to 6 oz of cooked chicken breast.
dessert - half a cup to a cup of fruit.

This is just an example. You can vary your menu according to taste. But, no bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, candy ice cream, cake, or anything with refined sugar. And little to no fruit juice, though fruit is OK.
Old 01-30-20, 05:13 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Funny, isn't it, how vital the cardio-oriented calorie-burning activity really is, paired with nutrition well-matched to that level of expenditure. "Match" incorrectly, and it's a fair bet one's weight can grow rapidly. Get it "right" and it's amazing, as you say, how the body can adjust and get the metabolism going again.

Without a tougher cardio regimen, I find it much harder to maintain. Over the years, my metabolism has dropped significantly below what it once was, when (back in the day) I was a distance runner who also did ~150mi per week or more. Once the running got nixed, and overall activity dropped due to injuries, the weight started packing on. I've maintained for the past 2yrs or so, so I'm decently matching intake to expenditure. But I find that without the longer, tougher cardio that's regularly (daily) part of my regimen, it's darned tough for me to continue losing.

Congrats on the changes so far. Keep up the great work. It'll come off. Just keep the exercise "up" and at a sufficient intensity to burn away what you need.
I am getting back to riding in the spring, but Martial Arts is decent cardio. More of an interval type workout than a long, slow bike ride.