Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Shoes to use without clip pedals

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20, 03:55 PM
Fandomii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi guys,

I am commuting to work (about a 30 minute ride or less) on standard pedals, and was wondering if you could suggest some shoe characteristics for comfort and a little better performance. Water resistance/proof is a must in my opinion, and was wondering what you would think of something like this:

It's not a very stiff shoe actually, not much breathable either, but 100% waterproof and warm for the winter. Your thoughts?
Old 02-04-20, 04:34 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
I like keens overall and thats what I wear all the time. so I got some waterproof boots. plenty stiff with a wide cage and they keep my feet dry. https://www.amazon.com/KEEN-Anchorag...apparel&sr=1-5
Old 02-04-20, 05:41 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Fandomii
Hi guys,
Water resistance/proof is a must in my opinion,
I was curious why water proof? If the roads are wet you are going to get to work with the giant water streak up the front and back. I get riding in the rain for fun but not when I am going to work.
Old 02-04-20, 06:30 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I was curious why water proof? If the roads are wet you are going to get to work with the giant water streak up the front and back. I get riding in the rain for fun but not when I am going to work.
Fenders + rain gear = fun!

FWIW, I wear stiff-soled sneakers with toe-clips and just put plastic grocery bags over my socks when it rains.
Old 02-04-20, 06:58 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Fenders + rain gear = fun!
https://youtu.be/kfyQUlfzOFU

FWIW, I wear stiff-soled sneakers with toe-clips and just put plastic grocery bags over my socks when it rains.
ha-ha looks fun but a lot of work for a daily commute. clean bike. lube chain. extra cloths because of the rain. More likely to get hit from bad visibility from car drivers. Your work clothes are mess.
Old 02-04-20, 07:09 PM
schiavonec

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wool socks are a must in winter if <40f. Any shoes work, but hiking shoes are what i have, so that works for me. I use race face chester pedals, so they accommodate a large variety of footware. Good socks and something that breathes are a god option. If it is freezing rain, i guess all/partual rubber boots may work, but they will cook my feet. Ymmv
Old 02-04-20, 09:01 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

ha-ha looks fun but a lot of work for a daily commute. clean bike. lube chain. extra cloths because of the rain. More likely to get hit from bad visibility from car drivers. Your work clothes are mess.
I see you recently joined bikeforums....welcome!

I have commuted to work by bike since 1992. After I discovered bikeforums in 2009 I learned better, safer, easier and more comfortable ways to commute in all weather including rain, snow, ice, extreme cold and excessive heat. Plus night riding!

I bike in inexpensive generic atheletic wear and change into my clean, fresh street clothes at work after freshening up. I carry my clothes with me to work in a bag on my rear rack, but others use panniers, or keep a supply of clothes at work that they transfer on a day they drive. I'm able to keep toiletries at the office and clean up there. Others are lucky enough to have shower facilities.

As far as traffic, I will get off the road and stop if it rains heavy enough for most cars to use their wipers on high, but with smart 180-degree lighting on the bike and up high on the helmet I am more visible than a car with only forward facing daytime running lights. I also have mirrors and an airhorn.

Thanks to bikeforums I have found there are much fewer limitations to riding to work than I had imagined.

At 58, I'm happier and healthier than I was in my late 20s thanks to bike commuting.

All it took was an open mind, and a willingness to try what others do, and keeping or adapting the methods and strategies that worked for me. What it didn't take was a lot of money. Oh, you can spend a lot if you want the newest, or nicest things (and that's okay)...but you don't need them to ride smart and safe, and enjoy yourself.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-04-20, 09:06 PM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by schiavonec
Wool socks are a must in winter if <40f. Good socks and something that breathes are a good option.
Yes!
I wondered what all the fuss about wool socks was...until I bought a pair.
Old 02-04-20, 09:47 PM
sean.hwy

I see you recently joined bikeforums....welcome!

I have commuted to work by bike since 1992. After I discovered bikeforums in 2009 I learned better, safer, easier and more comfortable ways to commute in all weather including rain, snow, ice, extreme cold and excessive heat. Plus night riding!

I bike in inexpensive generic atheletic wear and change into my clean, fresh street clothes at work after freshening up. I carry my clothes with me to work in a bag on my rear rack, but others use panniers, or keep a supply of clothes at work that they transfer on a day they drive. I'm able to keep toiletries at the office and clean up there. Others are lucky enough to have shower facilities.

As far as traffic, I will get off the road and stop if it rains heavy enough for most cars to use their wipers on high, but with smart 180-degree lighting on the bike and up high on the helmet I am more visible than a car with only forward facing daytime running lights. I also have mirrors and an airhorn.

Thanks to bikeforums I have found there are much fewer limitations to riding to work than I had imagined.

At 58, I'm happier and healthier than I was in my late 20s thanks to bike commuting.

All it took was an open mind, and a willingness to try what others do, and keeping or adapting the methods and strategies that worked for me. What it didn't take was a lot of money. Oh, you can spend a lot if you want the newest, or nicest things (and that's okay)...but you don't need them to ride smart and safe, and enjoy yourself.
I am just a few years younger. I used to commute to work on a bike in early 90's when I worked in SF. Just got a bike this xmas. Have not ridden since the 90's yikes. I was riding a motorcycle everyday and got hit :/ so I am little more leery than others I guess.

How does riding in the snow work? I would imagine all the snow packs up in the wheels and gums it up.
Old 02-04-20, 10:05 PM
BobbyG

How does riding in the snow work? I would imagine all the snow packs up in the wheels and gums it up.
Studded snow tires.
I learned a whole bunch in the WInter Cycling forum: https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-05-20, 10:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
rain gear = fun!
new rain cape for the bike!? wutz the verdict?
Old 02-05-20, 11:49 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I have some water proof hiking boots I got at REI to wear all day on rainy days - biking or not. Can't remember brand. Pretty sturdy but not Very Serious expedition backpacking boots.

Waterproof = clammy, I use them only when I gotta.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-05-20 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-05-20, 12:50 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
For commuting in the wet/snow, I like to wear GoreTex cycling shoes and clip in, and change into normal shoes at work. Clipping in is an advantage in the rain and snow because your foot has less chance to slip off the pedal, especially when launching from a stop with a lot of power an/or cadence.
Old 02-05-20, 12:52 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I used bicycling shoes and neoprene over boots when commuting in Toronto Canada during rain and or snow. The shoes did NOT have cleats and thus the over boots did not need to have a hole cut in the sole for the cleat. They were warm and toasty.

Cheers
Old 02-05-20, 04:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Clipping in is an advantage in the rain and snow because your foot has less chance to slip off the pedal, especially when launching from a stop with a lot of power an/or cadence.
I disagree that clipless is an advantage...I use MTB platform pedals with a lot of sharp pins and never had my boots or shoes slip. These pedals are very grippy even in wet or snowy conditions.
Old 02-05-20, 05:16 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I disagree that clipless is an advantage...I use MTB platform pedals with a lot of sharp pins and never had my boots or shoes slip. These pedals are very grippy even in wet or snowy conditions.
If we're talking about slipping, clipless pedals will NEVER slip, as opposed to platforms, which MAY slip. That specific advantage, no matter how small, isn't debatable. I personally have slipped a foot off a wet platform while pushing hard to cross a road with a car coming at me, though my platforms definitely weren't good ones and didn't have sharp pins. Thankfully I gave myself enough distance from the car to recover and get across before the car got to me. It's a shi++y feeling being in the middle of the road while you're straddling the top tube with both your feet dragging on the ground and a car coming at you.

I also ride mtb with SPD clipless. And there have been many occasions on steep technical uphill going 1-2 mph where I WISH I had platforms so I could've gotten my foot off a little quicker and caught myself, instead of stalling and falling over while still clipped in. Though I'm not sure I'd want to lose the ability to pull up on the pedal stroke.
Old 02-05-20, 05:20 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 373 Posts
Showers Pass waterproof socks may help expand the list of potential shoes.
Old 02-05-20, 06:35 PM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
new rain cape for the bike!? wutz the verdict?
This is the latest...
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...0-success.html
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-05-20, 09:33 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Hiking boots for me, Vasque Talus Trek UltraDry, they're my full-time riding shoes because no matter what, they can take it. Well, maybe not hot flowing lava, but other than that.

I've been going through some old gear and found my hiking gaitors, they might get tried some wet day. I found my kayaking pogies too, it would have been nice if they worked for riding but they were made to solve a different problem.
Old 02-06-20, 10:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Fandomii
Hi guys,I am commuting to work (about a 30 minute ride or less) on standard pedals, and was wondering if you could suggest some shoe characteristics for comfort and a little better performance. Water resistance/proof is a must in my opinion, and was wondering what you would think of something like this:It's not a very stiff shoe actually, not much breathable either, but 100% waterproof and warm for the winter. Your thoughts?
looks comfy, let us know how they work out!