Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Moon Shield X Auto 300 lumen USB

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 03:55 AM
Ponik78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello!
I am from Russia and do not know English very well and therefore I write through Google translator.
I want to buy the taillight Moon shield x auto 300 lumen usb.
I am sure that it shines well at night, but I'm interested in how much it shines well during the day. A friend of mine has a previous version of 150 lumens and it says that it is absolutely not visible during the day and that a version of 300 lumens will also be poorly visible during the day. Unfortunately, there are no owners of this headlamp on Russian forums
Therefore, I want to ask if among you the owners of the new Moon or friends who has it, how good is it during the day?
I would be grateful if you help me with advice.
Old 02-10-20, 09:44 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
This is a rather expensive tail light. It costs US$45-$55 shipped to the United States. I looked at one website that listed the specifications https://www.eaststcycles.com/product...en-rear-light/ I am very skeptical of the 18 hour daytime flash mode. It has a 700 mAh battery. That is probably not a large enough battery to give such a long run time even in flash mode.
  • 1 pc CREE XP-E + 1 pc (20 chips) COB high brightness red LED
  • CNC Aluminum heat sink casing
  • Light sensitive auto ON/OFF
  • Auto safe mode
  • Mode memory function
  • Rechargeable lithium polymer battery (3.7V 700 mAh)
  • Recharge Time: 2 hrs
  • 9 modes: Mode1 / Mode2 / Mode3 / Mode4 / FL1 / FL2 / FL3 / FL4 / DAY FLASH (DOUBLE BLAST)
  • Quick release universal bracket RB-22 (fits all round and AERO style bars)
  • Low battery, charging and fully charged indicator
  • Automatic fully charged cut-off system
  • High precision optical lens
  • Side visibility
  • Water resistance (IPX 4)
  • Size ( W x D x H): 60 x 34 x 24mm
  • Weight: 0.05Kg / Packing & Package: 0.1Kg
  • Max. auto on/off standby time: 250 hrs

You don't really need a 300 lumen light for daytime use. I live in the US desert southwest where the sunlight is as intense as anywhere in the world. Lots of bike riders use daytime lights. I use 100 lumen daytime lights. You can see them flashing a long way off and they are far less expensive than the Moon light.

This 100 lumen tail light which has a 500 mAh lithium battery. It has 26 LEDs in the Chip-on-board array. It has a better mounting system than the cheap O-ring mount used on he Moon light. You can find it on Aliexpress or eBay. Here is one seller on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Recharg...EAAOSwe5peCsBQ
Old 02-10-20, 12:14 PM
Ponik78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
This is a rather expensive tail light. It costs US$45-$55 shipped to the United States
I would not consider it from such a price, but in Europe sales are now ending and it costs half the price
Old 02-10-20, 12:39 PM
Ponik78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker

You don't really need a 300 lumen light for daytime use. I live in the US desert southwest where the sunlight is as intense as anywhere in the world. Lots of bike riders use daytime lights. I use 100 lumen daytime lights. You can see them flashing a long way off and they are far less expensive than the Moon light.

This 100 lumen tail light which has a 500 mAh lithium battery. It has 26 LEDs in the Chip-on-board array. It has a better mounting system than the cheap O-ring mount used on he Moon light. You can find it on Aliexpress or eBay.
I thought Cigolite taillights were popular in the US
Old 02-10-20, 03:06 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Cygolite taillights are very popular. You can buy them online, in bike shops, and in sporting goods stores. I refuse to buy any bike light where the manufacturer will not reveal the battery capacity. You will not find information on battery size for any of the Cygolite tail lights. The Cygolite similar to the light I listed is the Cygolite 100. It says one setting will run the light for 250 hours. The trouble is nobody is going to use that setting as a daytime running light so the real run time for a useful setting is a few hours in flashing mode. The cheapest price I saw for the Cygolite Hotshot 100 is around US$25.

At least one Moon taillight reviewer who wasn't a retailer selling them wasn't very happy with the product. "I recently threw out no fewer than six lights that have failed in some way, and the Moon Shield-X Auto will soon be joining them." https://road.cc/content/review/21165...uto-rear-light
Old 02-11-20, 11:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I use a Cygolite Hotshot SL. I don't know the battery's rated capacity, but I charge it every month, whether I need to or not. I can't remember the last time the battery discharged. That's convenient enough for me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.